Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS
7 Posts
Hi All,

I have a '13 luxury and now have 46k miles on my chariot. Today, I had to get new tires. The factory Michelin run flats had nothing left. I have been watching the discussions related to replacing with non run flats and thought I'd give it a try today since I needed new tires. After considering I haven't had a flat in 20 years and given that I have roadside assistance, I thought I'd give nons a shot. They were half the price of original Michelin's....and given the ubiquity of repair options of traditional tires...I told the guys to mount them up.

When done, I decided to drive about 75 miles on highway and city streets where I new what the originals felt like on the way home. Have to say, there is an even bigger grin on my face now. Ride quality and handling is noticably better. Ride much smoother over expansion joints, speed bumps and even grooved roads. And grippiness when cornering is remarkably better! The tires I got were Cooper RS3-A from Pep Boys of all places. In and out in 1 1/2hrs for $529 out the door.

In retrospect, should have done this a long time ago...now I love her even more!

Just wanted to share with those that have been having the debate between run flats and non...my opinion? I truly think you'll be happier with your ride running nons :)

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0L Turbo
20 Posts
Thanks. Been anticipating the day I need to get new tires. Felt the same as you when driving over expansion joints. Felt a bit rougher than when driving my friends Volkswagen CC 2.0.

Brb, gonna do a 2 minute burnout in my driveway to speed up the process.

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
thanks fir sharing ur experience. I never heard of this brand b4 and that price is very attractive. Would you recommend Cooper brand over Conti or Michelin, Pirreli, Bridgestone? would the cheaper price compromise ride quality, treadwear?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
115 Posts
Hi All,

I have a '13 luxury and now have 46k miles on my chariot. Today, I had to get new tires. The factory Michelin run flats had nothing left. I have been watching the discussions related to replacing with non run flats and thought I'd give it a try today since I needed new tires. After considering I haven't had a flat in 20 years and given that I have roadside assistance, I thought I'd give nons a shot. They were half the price of original Michelin's....and given the ubiquity of repair options of traditional tires...I told the guys to mount them up.

When done, I decided to drive about 75 miles on highway and city streets where I new what the originals felt like on the way home. Have to say, there is an even bigger grin on my face now. Ride quality and handling is noticably better. Ride much smoother over expansion joints, speed bumps and even grooved roads. And grippiness when cornering is remarkably better! The tires I got were Cooper RS3-A from Pep Boys of all places. In and out in 1 1/2hrs for $529 out the door.

In retrospect, should have done this a long time ago...now I love her even more!

Just wanted to share with those that have been having the debate between run flats and non...my opinion? I truly think you'll be happier with your ride running nons :)
Hey there Whyask, you mentioned your runflats had nothing left. You would to notice a huge overall improvement even of you purchased the same tires. I only chime in because so far I really like my tires - no complaints. (albeit in fairness, I have nothing to compare them to)

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
thanks fir sharing ur experience. I never heard of this brand b4 and that price is very attractive. Would you recommend Cooper brand over Conti or Michelin, Pirreli, Bridgestone? would the cheaper price compromise ride quality, treadwear?
I've been using Kumhos for my past two vehicles including the ATS. I immediately took the runflats off and put on a set of Kumhos. (Brand new set of OEM rims and tires in the basement) Absolutely love them for the ride quality, quietness and longevity. Pretty big difference over the shitty riding runflats.

.....Sooooo you don't have any spare or jack at this point, then?
I don't. Not really needed for me. I threw a can of TPMS safe slime in the trunk. If that don't work roadside assistance can come. I think I've had one flat in the past 20 years.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
922 Posts
I don't. Not really needed for me. I threw a can of TPMS safe slime in the trunk. If that don't work roadside assistance can come. I think I've had one flat in the past 20 years.
You sure are lucky! That's not the case in the NY NJ area where I live. Between the potholes and other road hazards, such as nails, hooks, screws and many other things, you are likely to be victimized at least once every few years or more.

When I didn't buy the tire and wheel warranty, I always had a damaged tire in the first year. I now buy the warranty as a preventive measure.

·
Registered
2013 ATS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone.

You are correct. No Jack or spare. Just a can of fix a flat. And with the price, it included an extended road hazard warranty.

Granted, the original run flats were worn down, however, even when new they were rough.

I'll say after driving the last few days, I couldn't be happier. The ride is normally softer, turns in better, grip much better...etc.

I'll risk a flat in the boonies, however slight that might be, for the ride qualities I have now.

Even in my previous cars with spares, I still carried fix a flat...the last time I had a flat about 20 years ago, I used the can to get me to a tire shop for repair. Never bothered with the spare.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,364 Posts
I too can hardly wait until I get more miles on my 2013 tires so I can get rid of them! I drove the new 2015 Coupe and they had Continental run flats and they were much smoother than the rough riding ones on my 2013. Take my chances on non runflats if it results in a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
I've never like any of my run flats on cars I owned. Noisy and hard riding. Felt like they had 60psi in them. Crappy tires!

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
On the 18" oem rims has anyone tried slipping 265's on them? I'm thinking if I am going to replace mine I wanted to go wider and thought I would ask if anyone has done this successfully already?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts