Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago, I installed a new system in my SLS. It consists of an Alpine 9830 HU, an Alpine S634 cd changer and Infinity Kappa co axial speakers. Just the sub needed to be changed. The stock sub is almost unhearable at moderate volumes. It doesn't kick in until higher volumes are played. That is not good for me, as I do not like to listen to music, at really high volumes. So, I just ordered my new sub and amp today. I am going with an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 sub, and a Profile amp. I will say this, it is hard, very hard, to find a low power amp. Almost every amp is rated at 500 watts or higher. I needed one in the 150 - 250 range.I settled for the Profile HA700M Baja amp. It was rather cheap, at about $70.00. So if it turns out to be crap, it won't hurt me to change to a different one. Once I receive, and install the new parts, I will post back with the results.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whats up Dadillac,

I have a few questions with your installation of your Car Stereo. First I would like to say I understand any frustration that you may have went through with the installation of your after market unit. (more below)

1. What was the OEM interface that you choose and what functionality did you loose after installing it?

2. What was the model number and where did you order the interface from?

3. Did you have to keep the OEM HU in the car for any reason.?

4. Are you able to retain the factory CD Changer?

5. Installation Cost?

Last Question and most important.
6. How does it all sound? Does your factory bose speakers give a good response? Does it at all sound Distorted? At any Volume Level?

I previously had a 97 STS. I cought hell with that installation. After having my car for two complete days the installation was complete and I had an invoice for 700 dollars. I had a HU, 2 Amps, Subs, Front Components, and Rear 6x9's. They told me then I could not retain my factory speakers, cd changer or anything.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
eh.... Profile is one of those cheap China brands.... too bad because the rest of your gear looks to be very good! I personally like Alpine/Infinity.

I'd like to know how that Infinity Kappa sub works out, I was going to get one (10") to stick will my Infinity-only speaker setup... but as far as subs go, I heard there was better... I finally decided on a Dayton Titanic MKIII and havn't looked back, but the Infinity should definitly be nice.

Its going in a box or on the rear deck?

BTW having an amp too powerful is perfectly fine.... having more power going to a speaker then less power is much better (less risk of damaging) for the driver.

Also for "low power" mono amps, check these out MA Audio. I bought the HK1998 amp for my sub, 600watts RMS x 1 @4ohms. This amp is defintily a heavy duty, very well built amp. For the future if I want to upgrade the sub, I will buy a 2nd 10" Dayton Titanic MKIII and get a new box, then wire them up to run into 2ohm, the MA Audio can handle 2 ohms... then I have 1,200watts x 1 RMS @ 2ohms... not bad.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=267

let us know how it works out!

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Yeah I've heard some bad things about profile...

but, tell me how that Infinity sub sounds, even hooked to that amp. I was thinking about running two of them, hooked up to an Infinity Reference 1211a amp (850 x 1 @4 ohms :))

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lacboy215 said:
Whats up Dadillac,
I have a few questions with your installation of your Car Stereo. First I would like to say I understand any frustration that you may have went through with the installation of your after market unit. (more below)
1. What was the OEM interface that you choose and what functionality did you loose after installing it?
2. What was the model number and where did you order the interface from?
3. Did you have to keep the OEM HU in the car for any reason.?
4. Are you able to retain the factory CD Changer?
5. Installation Cost?
Last Question and most important.
6. How does it all sound? Does your factory bose speakers give a good response? Does it at all sound Distorted? At any Volume Level?
I previously had a 97 STS. I cought hell with that installation. After having my car for two complete days the installation was complete and I had an invoice for 700 dollars. I had a HU, 2 Amps, Subs, Front Components, and Rear 6x9's. They told me then I could not retain my factory speakers, cd changer or anything.
1) I used the Metra GMOS-06 interface. By the way, I did not have a Bose system, I had Delco. But, I will answer your questions, maybe they will be useful. I retained all functions. The only thing that doesn't seem to work 100%, is the chimes. My chimes still work, just that the first one or two pulses aren't audible. Example: my back up sensor chime. When I get the first light, no chime. When I get the second light, no chime, When I get the red light, a short delay, and then chiming. Also, the door chime. Short delay, and then chiming. So any single pulse chimes have been lost (low fuel, low washer fluid, etc) Multiple chimes still work.

2) I purchased it at www.lafayetteradio.com.

3) OEM HU is out of the car. Although I was tempted to keep it in, until I located the interface.

4) Factory changer would not work with the new HU. I am sure it can be rewired, but i do not have the knowledge. I installed an Alpine changer.

5) I installed everything myself, so only had to pay for the components. Cost so far has been $900.00. Add the $229.00 for the sub set-up, and i am at about $1,130.00.

6) The sound is amazing. Absolutely no distortion whatsoever. Blows the stock Delco system away. It isn't even a close vote. I have not heard a Caddy Bose system, but my wifes Infiniti I35 has a Bose system. My Alpine / Infinity system does sound better. I am very pleased. Once I get more bass thumping (the only thing missing) I am sure i will be delighted.

I hope that you can use some of this for your Bose system. But I am not sure you can.

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D148L0 said:
Congrats, dadillac.
You could have asked about the amp, though. Hopefully you'll like the one you got.
Yeah I asked around a few places, but couldn't get a concrete answer. Also, I do not have an electronic vocabulary, so terminology always got in the way. I will try the Profile. If it sounds crappy, i will change it out. Not trying to do this cheaply, just trying to get it inexpensively.

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Night Wolf said:
eh.... Profile is one of those cheap China brands.... too bad because the rest of your gear looks to be very good! I personally like Alpine/Infinity.
I'd like to know how that Infinity Kappa sub works out, I was going to get one (10") to stick will my Infinity-only speaker setup... but as far as subs go, I heard there was better... I finally decided on a Dayton Titanic MKIII and havn't looked back, but the Infinity should definitly be nice.
Its going in a box or on the rear deck?
BTW having an amp too powerful is perfectly fine.... having more power going to a speaker then less power is much better (less risk of damaging) for the driver.
Also for "low power" mono amps, check these out MA Audio. I bought the HK1998 amp for my sub, 600watts RMS x 1 @4ohms. This amp is defintily a heavy duty, very well built amp. For the future if I want to upgrade the sub, I will buy a 2nd 10" Dayton Titanic MKIII and get a new box, then wire them up to run into 2ohm, the MA Audio can handle 2 ohms... then I have 1,200watts x 1 RMS @ 2ohms... not bad.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=267
let us know how it works out!
I am mounting the sub in the stock location in the rear deck. The Infinity is rated as "open air" capable. But, it also has a 175 watt max rating in open air set-ups. So I do not want to ruin the sub, by going with a too powerful amp. I will let you all know how it sounds when it gets done.

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
terrible one said:
Yeah I've heard some bad things about profile...

but, tell me how that Infinity sub sounds, even hooked to that amp. I was thinking about running two of them, hooked up to an Infinity Reference 1211a amp (850 x 1 @4 ohms :))
Will do.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dadillac said:
1) I used the Metra GMOS-06 interface. By the way, I did not have a Bose system, I had Delco. But, I will answer your questions, maybe they will be useful. I retained all functions. The only thing that doesn't seem to work 100%, is the chimes. My chimes still work, just that the first one or two pulses aren't audible. Example: my back up sensor chime. When I get the first light, no chime. When I get the second light, no chime, When I get the red light, a short delay, and then chiming. Also, the door chime. Short delay, and then chiming. So any single pulse chimes have been lost (low fuel, low washer fluid, etc) Multiple chimes still work.
2) I purchased it at www.lafayetteradio.com.
3) OEM HU is out of the car. Although I was tempted to keep it in, until I located the interface.
4) Factory changer would not work with the new HU. I am sure it can be rewired, but i do not have the knowledge. I installed an Alpine changer.
5) I installed everything myself, so only had to pay for the components. Cost so far has been $900.00. Add the $229.00 for the sub set-up, and i am at about $1,130.00.
6) The sound is amazing. Absolutely no distortion whatsoever. Blows the stock Delco system away. It isn't even a close vote. I have not heard a Caddy Bose system, but my wifes Infiniti I35 has a Bose system. My Alpine / Infinity system does sound better. I am very pleased. Once I get more bass thumping (the only thing missing) I am sure i will be delighted.
I hope that you can use some of this for your Bose system. But I am not sure you can.
Don

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer all of the questions I asked of you. I am very appreciative.

Thanks again

But I have two more questions for you if you do not mind.

1. Was it very hard to install the equipment yourself?

2. Are you able to turn your car stereo on with out having to have your car all the way on. *In my 97 the way it was wired I was unable to play my radio when the key was turned to ACC*

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lacboy215 said:
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer all of the questions I asked of you. I am very appreciative.
Thanks again
But I have two more questions for you if you do not mind.
1. Was it very hard to install the equipment yourself?
2. Are you able to turn your car stereo on with out having to have your car all the way on. *In my 97 the way it was wired I was unable to play my radio when the key was turned to ACC*
I have had previous stereo installation experience, in my youth, so the installation, although challenging at first, was fairly simple. The interface made the install a snap. The HU works like a stock one. It plays in ACC, Run, and also the 10 minute delay, after removing the key from the ignition. I am very pleased with the results.

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts