Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got around to building my center console yesterday and today. I probably have a good eight hours of labor in it, but I think it was worth it. I think it came out pretty good, considering it was my second woodworking project ever, and only my second attempt at wrapping anything in vinyl! :) My first project was my trunk kit.

I started out by drawing down on paper what I had in mind, and then made a cardboard mock up. I made the neccessary changes to that and then started cutting it out of 1/2" MDF I had left over from the trunk kit. I used a couple of 2x4's and some 1x1 I had laying around for cross braces.

Here's a pic of it partially assembled and the top of it beside it. (In hindsight, maybe cardboard wasn't the best backdrop for pics... ;) )

Here's me using a hair dryer and a squeegee (sp?) to attach the fake woodgrain overlay to the MDF. Heat is the key to making this work! It'll bend and conform to curves you wouldn't think possible once it's warmed up (although there were no curves here...)

Here's an "in process" pic of me wrapping the sides. I figured it would be easier to do while assembled. Keep in mind I had to leave it somewhat "Unassemblable" in case I had to service the shifter or something in the car.

I was able to re-use the stock center arm rest that was in the car when it was a split bench. You may say "Bill! That vinyl doesn't match!" But you'll see that it is almost the exact color of my upper dash pad and steering wheel, keeping with the stock two tone look of the car. (I'm getting plenty of use out of the vinyl I spent 3 bucks for when I made that trunk kit!!! :D )

cont'd

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here it is going into the car. The armrest assembly and front pocket are permanently attached, but the woodgrain section is removable. Pretty good foresight, I thought. :)

With the "wood" panel in place. "What's that chrome separating the panels?" you ask... Well, it's the stuff they use for suspended ceilings. It's the usually white "T" shaped trusses that the paneling sits on after you make a grid with them. In that area of Home Depot last night, I found a display that had colored overlays for them that snapped into place. After talking to a couple associates there, they came to the conclusion that they did not have the chrome overlay (or any others) in stock, and could not order them. No numbers worked to bring them up in the computer. So I took the display. :) Hey, they wouldn't be needing it anyways, if they can't even get the stuff! So I cut the "T" stuff to length and the chrome overlays and they press fit to hold everything nice and tight.

Here it is all done. I scored a sweet silver/grey carbon fiberish looking boot with a chrome bezel at my local rice boy store. I think it looks pretty damn sweet. I also moved my traction control switch to an easily accessible spot right in front of the shifter.

A shot from the other side, where you can also see "The Three Pedals" :D

A close up of the boot/shifter

All done!

What?!?!? No cupholders??? Actually, they flip out of the armrest when needed. :) What's a caddy without cupholders?!?!? ;)

I was thinking of getting some strectchy grey netting and using it for map pocket on each side, but I'm not sure on that yet. I also need to raise the carpet up around it a little to fill in the gaps.

Oh, and surprisingly, it's not much heavier than that ugly Neon console!!!

So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That looks great!!!!!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think it looks great. The flat wood panel sort of gives off that Mercedes look.

I won't waste my breath with "change this, change that" This is a whole bunch better than the Neon solution. Somehow I bet that after you drive it for a while you will come up with some more ideas and it will be "console 3.0"

Where did you find the woodgrain material? It looks like a perfect match!

A day well spent ;)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thats golden!!!

Will you sell your FW now??? :D

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
isn't that seat normally a 60/40 bench? what did you do tochange that?

how did you mount the consol into the floor?

I really like that....perhaps what I like more is the 6spd...... I want that, and the consol in my DeVille :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BUILDINGCTSAMG said:
I really like!
My one constructive criticism is that the shifter boot doesnt really go with the rest of the look, but if you like it is your choice!
Thanks. :) The pictures don't really do the colors justice. The boot is a bit shiny, and is actually a good match to the car's exterior color, so it ties in well, in "the Big picture" but thanks for the thought! Constructive criticism is always good. :)

And besides, as Bill said, there may be a "Console v3.0" eventually. :)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
that looks great, almost OEM. if i get STS seats in my deville i wana make a center consol, where did you get the wood grain stuff, looks really nice. Also do you have pics of the trunk?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
Crovo you have skills! I like those gages you have near the driverside door...very unique, what are they for?

Do you drive on I-93 a lot? I always up on that road doing the Boston to Vermont, weekend up north thing...:D They need to expand that road on the double though...friday afternoon traffic kills me on that road. ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DeVillish said:
that looks great, almost OEM. if i get STS seats in my deville i wana make a center consol, where did you get the wood grain stuff, looks really nice. Also do you have pics of the trunk?
Thanks again. :) I got it at a local rice boy shop. Ractive makes it, and I think it was called Dark Burlwood. Found it in the clearance bin for 10 bucks for the roll!!! :) I'll go grab some pics of it. Oh, and there are trunk pics on my website, link is in my sig...

And AirJigga - Yup, I'm on 93 quite a bit. I'm on 495 a lot more often though. Have you seen me? :D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
Thanks again. :) I got it at a local rice boy shop. Ractive makes it, and I think it was called Dark Burlwood. Found it in the clearance bin for 10 bucks for the roll!!! :) I'll go grab some pics of it. Oh, and there are trunk pics on my website, link is in my sig...

And AirJigga - Yup, I'm on 93 quite a bit. I'm on 495 a lot more often though. Have you seen me? :D
No I haven't seen you yet. I've been driving from boston to northern vermont and back for about 6 years. Its not a bad trip. 89 is smooth sailing. 93 is hit or miss...you know the deal. I would totally kill my horn if I saw you though. I'm glad you decided not to sell that thing. You've put too much TLC into it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
AirJigga25