Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V has a blown FG2 shock. It has been at the dealer for a week and they say the GM supplier is out of stock and the shock is on back order. They have been calling other dealerships to see if they have any FG2s. Nothing yet.

I saw some FG2s sold on fleabay recently and nothing right now on the forum. If the delar can not find a replacement what is a good option?

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
Contact Luke @ Lindsay, I think someone said recently that he could get one or two somehow.

There was a complete set in the classifieds but I think they just sold on ebay.

How many miles on your V?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was looking for those shocks a couple of weeks ago and opted for the QA1s. Nice adjustable shock and less expensive than the FG2.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
And the QA1s are rebuildable so they should last a lot longer. The FG2 will be very tough to get although they are out there somewhere...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has 39k on it and the shock died. I'm careful not to hit potholes and I don't race it so it's hard to believe it is time to replace shocks already. It's even harder to believe GM doesn't have any in stock and no dealers seem to have any. I believe if the dealer sold me the car with these shocks they should support them.

So what kind of mileage are you guys getting from your QA1s?

I wonder if there are any warranty issues if I just replace the 2 fronts and leave the good FG2s on the rear?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
OP, buy a full set of FG2s, use the one to replace yours, then sell the other three individually. I'll bet you come close to breaking even, and that means a nearly free shock! :sneaky:

·
Registered
852 Posts
How much do these cost for the kit? My V feels more and more bouncy these days.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
How much do these cost for the kit? My V feels more and more bouncy these days.
I couple of trips down I-696, & M53 in Michigan and your car will feel much worse than bouncy!
More like Loosey Goosey!
It's like every 60ft there is a Pot hole that covers the whole road, ain't no swervin around em, just line em up and hope you hit the shallow part of the hole!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I couple of trips down I-696, & M53 in Michigan and your car will feel much worse than bouncy!
More like Loosey Goosey!
It's like every 60ft there is a Pot hole that covers the whole road, ain't no swervin around em, just line em up and hope you hit the shallow part of the hole!

Id be throwing some like BFG 275/100/18s on my car!! :helpless: That might soften things up a little bit..:histeric:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it is amazing how a bad shock or two can make your car uncontrollable. Just riding on patchy pavement (no potholes) through a low speed turn gets pretty scary as I try to control the car with the tire occasionally touching the ground.

Luke, any word if GM can sell you a single FG2 to fix my baby?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately the FG2 kit (all 4) is available but somehow the individual (front or rear) are not. I have a call into GM but have not received an answer yet

Luke,

Any word from GM if they will sell a single shock?

It sure would be great to get my car back on the road. This is like having 1 tire go bad and not being able to find a matching single tire to replace it.

I really like my FG2 shocks but I would not recommend them to anyone since you can not buy a single replacement if one goes bad.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Luke,

Thanks for pressing GM on this issue.

This is like having a single injector go bad and GM saying well you have to buy the set of 8 injectors to fix your 1 injector problem.

Buying 4 shocks to fix 1 bad shock just doesn’t make any sense in this case especially with low mileage on my V.

·
Registered
CTS V
122 Posts
Sounds like a deeper issue of GM not having paid its vendors...They have a complete set somewhere in a warehouse but to purchase a single unit is out of the question or "BACK ORDER"..That is just a poor excuse they are utilizing to us the consumers...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a deeper issue of GM not having paid its vendors...They have a complete set somewhere in a warehouse but to purchase a single unit is out of the question or "BACK ORDER"..That is just a poor excuse they are utilizing to us the consumers...

Interesting point. You may have hit the nail on the head however I doubt GM would ever admit that is the case. Short of actually knowing the FG2 shock vendor’s accountant we probably will never know.

I just hope Luke can pull through for me so I can get my car back on the road. I think Luke and Lindsey Cadillac need to give the GM execs a short course on customer service to help GM and their parts vendors stay in business....

·
Registered
E85 Powered - Maggie'd V
1,747 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but to the OP, did you end up finding 1 FG2 front shock? I need 1 FG2 front as well (used preferably since the rest are used).

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to bump an old thread, but to the OP, did you end up finding 1 FG2 front shock? I need 1 FG2 front as well (used preferably since the rest are used).

Yeah they replaced my bad shock last year. Funny thing is I just had the tires replaced last week and when I saw it on the lift I noticed both front shocks didn't have the dash any longer. Once it warms up and melts the snow I'm going to jack it up and check the exact part numbers on the shocks. If the replacement FG2s have no dash then maybe we are OK - if not I have will obviously have an issue. We will see soon.

·
Registered
06' CTS-V
128 Posts
If they don't have a dash then they are FE4's instead of FG2's. Since the dealer couldn't get a single shock and didn't want 3 singles left in inventory they got you a pair of FE4's instead to get you back on the road. If that was under your warranty I wouldn't be very happy with the result, although they did get you back on the road.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts