Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at 83 Deville went up for in the neighborhood. When i first saw I knew I wanted it, checked out the car a bit and offered the guy 500.To my surprise he jumped on it (considering the car "only" has 54k miles). So before doing much research I was the owner of this caddy.

I took the car to my mechanic, and he almost fainted when he read i bought a 4.1. After telling me what a piece of junk the motor I asked him to do a tune up and replace the tires, belts, the faulty window motor. He calls me later that day and tells me both the alternator and fuel pump are bad. I said replace em. So that put me in about 1300 dollars deep. (250 for fuel pump, 350 for alt and belts, 350 for tires (included new spare) 350 for window motor replacement and tune up).

About 2 months and 1k miles later, my coolant is leaking. Didn't think anything of it, and filled up the res tank twice in about 3 weeks and 140 miles. My mech came to see my at my office (he is a patient of mine) I told him whats going and tells me to bring it in right away. Turns out the the intake gasket is bad, and again i tell him to fix it. He says he will do me a favor and replace everything for pretty cheap. So he puts in a new rad, waterpump, new gasket, new pipes, a new fan, for just 500.

The car runs really well now but this forum has a put a deep fear in my heart that the engine will go any second.

I am happy with the way the car drives, but after seeing some pictures on this forum I am falling out of love.

As you can see the front grille is missing, where do i get a replacement? Worth the money?

The seats and stuff seem, anything i need to do these?

The top isn't looking to pretty, what can i can i do about it?

Thats the radio i have in this car. Someone told me it's the cheaper of the two models that were offered. For some reason when i insert a cassette to audio jack converter, i have to hold down the left knob for it play play, whats up with that?

Someone tell me she's pretty lol.

·
Registered
1985 Seville
330 Posts
If you bought and old cadillac thinking you wouldn't have to put any money in it your wrong there's probably more to come. But the good news is if the motors running good now it might hold up awhile if you keep it maintained.

----------

Now your goal should be to make it the best it can be and roll it like the King.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,949 Posts
#1. Buy some tools and start to do work yourself.
#2. "350 for alt and belts"... I hope this came with a big tube of lube.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
It photographs well and the seats look very nice. Your mechanic sounds a little expensive but he seems to get the job done correctly.

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
It's a Cadillac, I'll tell you she's pretty.
Look, it's a 30 year old car. It isn't going to be turnkey like a new Accord. That's part of the fun. And I second jayoldscool-- get your fingernails dirty and start working on it yourself.
Jeff

·
Registered
83 Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha not yet, I am still a resident, so basically a doctor without the paycheck and 2x the hours.

And I wish i had the mechanical know how to work on these cars. I am better suited for fixing legs then cars.

So what else should I look out for to go wrong next? Or anything I overlooked so far?

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
She's a pretty old gal who just needs TLC.

Keep it maintained, and you may get years of service out of that motor. Just keep an eye on things, and keep the correct fluids changed regularly.

I agree with others that suggest you learn to wrench a bit, if you can pass advanced A&P, microbiology, and pharmacology, maintaining and old Caddy should be a cake walk.

Ebay, and local salvage yards are good places to look for that missing grille.

And just imagine what you can do with her when your residency is up and they start paying you!!!

What area are you in Kenshinx23?

·
Registered
79 DeVille Phaeton, 57 Eldo Biarritz, 79 Fleetwood d'Eleganc
139 Posts
Try row52 for parts, they have salvage yards all over the country and the prices are great. You just register the car and year range you are looking for and it will notify you when there is a car in the yard. You don't have to pull the parts yourself you can get a parts puller that works that yard that will do the dirty work for you. I got a complete front bumper for my 79 Deville for under $100.00. You will be able to find a grill easily

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
I also had a great experience with using a puller on Row 52.

Beautiful old Lady, I can see how see enchanted you!:yup:

·
Registered
83 Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's a pretty old gal who just needs TLC.

Keep it maintained, and you may get years of service out of that motor. Just keep an eye on things, and keep the correct fluids changed regularly.

I agree with others that suggest you learn to wrench a bit, if you can pass advanced A&P, microbiology, and pharmacology, maintaining and old Caddy should be a cake walk.

Ebay, and local salvage yards are good places to look for that missing grille.

And just imagine what you can do with her when your residency is up and they start paying you!!!

What area are you in Kenshinx23?
I am in the New York area. And I might try to fix the next small problem my self, but we will see.

I don't spending money on the car since I love the way it drives. But how bad were these cars (sorry I am new to the country, don't really know American vehicle history) since everyone I talk just shakes their heads and goes, oh man you'll be lucky to get another 1,000 miles out of it. Makes no sense to me how a motor that has lasted 30 years all of a sudden as an expiration date. Regardless of all the flak i get for owning this beauty, nothing beats the drive.

So i was looking into the retrofit radio, it barely looks retro at all. My current radio work well with Am and FM but when I insert one those cassette to mp3 adapters, the radio keeps rewinding the and I have to press and hold the left knob on the radio in order for it play. Is this a common error i can sort out, or should i take to an audio shop? I tired to find information on it online, but it's really limited.

·
Registered
1985 Seville
330 Posts
You bought it for a really good price its hard to find a running driving car that isn't wrecked or rotted out for 500.00.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I am in the New York area. And I might try to fix the next small problem my self, but we will see.

I don't spending money on the car since I love the way it drives. But how bad were these cars (sorry I am new to the country, don't really know American vehicle history) since everyone I talk just shakes their heads and goes, oh man you'll be lucky to get another 1,000 miles out of it. Makes no sense to me how a motor that has lasted 30 years all of a sudden as an expiration date. Regardless of all the flak i get for owning this beauty, nothing beats the drive.

So i was looking into the retrofit radio, it barely looks retro at all. My current radio work well with Am and FM but when I insert one those cassette to mp3 adapters, the radio keeps rewinding the and I have to press and hold the left knob on the radio in order for it play. Is this a common error i can sort out, or should i take to an audio shop? I tired to find information on it online, but it's really limited.
The problem with your radio is that the tape deck is either auto fastforwarding or auto reversing. Basically, it is seeing the adapter as the end of music and is trying to reach the end of the tape.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Those motors had their problems, but so do many other motors. I would not worry so much about it. Just keep it maintained properly, and you should be able to drive it for a long time. Don't waste time making yourself upset, regretting the purchase.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
This would be a cool project car . I appreciate your infatuation with that car but honestly letting that infatuation fade off must be better option from what I see

·
Registered
83 Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So something pretty strange happened today.

I went to the and tired to start it, to my surprise i get no crank at all. I figured the battery must have died, so I called over road side assistant to get tow over to my mechanic so i can get the battery charged. The tow guy comes over and suggests we jump the car instead of towing, i refused. He pulled some policy with insurance crap and we had to jump the car. So after a few attempts the car cranks over and starts properly. I let it warm up and start driving to my mechs shop to make sure the alt and stuff is okay. I was maybe 50 feet away from the shop when car all of a sudden acts up, all the fans turn on, the lights dim and the car shuts off. I explained to him what happened and he said it's probably, just a fuse. He starts checking the fuses after charging the battery for a bit and finds 2 bad ones. He checks the wires on the computer on the passenger side and says they all check out. He replaces the fuses and cranks the car, the car starts and smoke starts blowing smoke through the vents from the passenger side. I hit the dead switch and I see him blowing into the computer. The damn thing caught on fire. We ordered a new one and hopefully that one doesn't blow.

TLDR: Dead battery, jumped the car, after about 4 mile drive car flickered lights and turned off, replaced bad fuses, EMC caught fire.

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
You have a great automobile - Looks to be in great shape also - You are still way ahead of car payments and are making new friends at the garage.
Do not be a stranger with your mechanic - Seems a bit high on the prices but seems competent - take it by there occasionally to let them look it over for developing problems - That car still has a lot of years left to serve you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts