Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FE4 shocks and struts, CTS-V coil springs, Part#??

Just looking for part #er's... I know they've been posted before but I cant seem to find them.
Thanks in advance for any info....
Also is it a shock and strut combo or just monotube shocks all the way around?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
PM WildWhl over in the V forum. He's the one who pioneered lowering the V with a few simple mods for pretty much zero cost. I think he offers his modded springs and struts at cost (~$450/set for springs and shocks as I recall). He'll lower them (if you want) to your specs. The list price on all these parts is somewhere around $1500, I'm guessing.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48103&highlight=nivomat+mod

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just want non-modded stock CTS shocks and Springs. Just thinking ahead since I plan to put on 19" rims next summer. I dont want to lower my CTS any more then it would be by going with the stock CTS-V shocks/struts and springs.

Speaking of which, I read ur post on that other thread, so are u guessing that if I go w/the V shocks and springs my CTS wont be the same height as the V because the CTS is lighter??

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The beauty of WildWhl's idea is that it's adjustable so you don't need to lower the car at all. If he sells his modded springs and shocks for $450, he should be able to simply get you a set of unmodded ones for the same price or cheaper. For his mod on the front, he simply machines a few extra grooves for the clip. You put the clip at whatever ride height you want, and the spring perch simply fits on top of it. Keep it in the stock groove, and it will sit at the stock height. Just get a set of uncut rear springs from him, and the rear will sit at the stock height.

There are many V owners who've upgraded to the FG2 suspension that will likely part with their old (usually zero miles) FE4 shocks/struts for under $100 (that's how I got mine). The springs are about $80 each, but you'd probably need to go to the dealer to get the proper part numbers, if you want new.

The V springs are stiffer (400 lbs/in) than the regular CTS springs, and from a poll on the V forum, they sit about 0.5" lower than our cars. A V is also about 300 lbs heavier. Putting V springs on our cars will certainly stiffen the ride, but my guess is that it will sit only about 0.25" lower. The springs and shocks are a bolt-in to our cars.

The Eibach springs are 3% softer than the V springs but lower 1.2". I shimmed mine to get only about 0.8" front and 1" rear. It did center the wheels in the wheel wells without looking slammed. I had about 3" of wheel gap before. I'm at about 2" now and the car sits more level.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It depends on what you want. The V springs are stiffer, and matched to the V strut/shock damping rate. You have to remove the front spring to change out the strut. If you want better cornering, get bigger sway bars. I'm not sure that I know of anyone who's just installed V struts and shocks without changing to stiffer springs. Most people do it when they want to lower the car.

It sounds like you don't already have the CTS sport suspension, which rides very nice and it matched well to the stock sport spring rates. Then add stiffer sway bars for cornering (there may be a flood of stock V sway bars available cheap, now that Hotchkis has released their V sway bars). You might be better off upgrading to that, if lowering isn't in the cards and you don't want a stiff ride. I have Eibachs and V shocks/struts, and the ride is tolerable, but a tad stiff for me (especially over small road imperfections). In retrospect, I think I prefer the sport suspension ride, but 0.75" to 1" lower. Unfortunately, the WildWhl mod only works on the V shocks and struts, not the CTS sport suspension, since they're made differently.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've been talking with Wildwhl and he suggested I stay with the base springs and just add the FE4's.. Unfortunately he didn’t have any FE4's for sale, just some springs, and yes I believe I have the base shocks and struts not the sport suspension (how can I really tell though?). I kinda like the soft luxury ride so staying with the base springs should help me keep that, no?? My only reason for upgrading to the FE4's from the base struts & stocks is to better accommodate the 19" rims I plan to put on.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I'm not sure how changing shocks will help accommodate your new rubber. The only thing I see is that you may want the load leveling shocks to keep the rear from bottoming out with passengers in the back. You could simply get a set of used FE3 Nivomats from a sport model CTS and bolt them on the rear for that. They're stiffer than the base or luxury shocks, but no where near the V shocks. Changing rear shocks is about a 30 minute job (after removing the rear seat). Putting FE4's on stock luxury springs will likely ride rough, since they'll be overdamped, IMHO. Front struts can be an all day job.

I'm pretty sure you can safely put 19's on your car, as is. It may look like it's sitting pretty high, though, when you have them mounted. (Skinny rubber and big fender gaps usually don't go together.) Personally, I'd wait until after you install the wheels and tires and go from there. You may be happy, as is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
2 Participants
BishopRuger