Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'06 CTS 3.6L:HID HEADLIGHT/FOGS:LED INTERIOR/PLATE/TRIANGLE:
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 I wanna convert the diff so that I havE LSD is it a direct bolt on without any mod??

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So can I use the internal parts from 17+ inch rim models that have lsd diff in my base model. Or do I have to change the whole diff and or shafts??

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,806 Posts
I went from a LSD to a non-LSD a month or so ago. It was a direct swap for the diff. Or at least the shop didn't complain about this or that.

KOT

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
KOT wondering why you went that route.
Also who did your ratio change programming?

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
No ratio change programming was needed. I honestly don't know if there are different ratios out there. I thought there were, but a majority of ads I saw had my 3.14 or whatever I have for ratio.

I did this because I had a vibration at 45 plus. It would get worse as I sped up. It made it hard, scary really, to drive above 80mph.

After so many "fixes" including replacing the drive shaft couplers, both front and rear. It ended up being the actual insulation of the couplers. The first time they didn't drop the exhaust. So they just pried the parts apart to slip the couplers out and new in. I guess they didn't line up so great when doing it that way.

So when the brand new coupler failed after about 3,000 miles. I had do it properly, by dropping the exhaust and tighten the bolts in a certain order. Since then I've gone to 130 and it was a smooth as it were years ago.

I can still put my LSD back in, cus the shop still has them. But replacing it did fix a clunk that I've had for many years. The clunk from R to D and when coasting and tapping the gas pedal.

I find it easier to spin tire when going into corners. But other than that, I don't miss the LSD.

KOT

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was get the lsd to help with winter driving. But if I get one from scrap yard how do I know if it's lsd? Also what are they worth new??? Can I just change the internals??

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
Oh shit... I haven't thought about winter driving with a non-LSD.

I honestly don't know how to tell a non-LSD to a LSD. Perhaps a part number, but which is which is the question now.

KOT

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Kingoftypos said:
Oh shit... I haven't thought about winter driving with a non-LSD. I honestly don't know how to tell a non-LSD to a LSD. Perhaps a part number, but which is which is the question now. KOT

Limited slip allows both wheels to spin at the same rate
Non limited slip well you just sit and spin one wheel and go nowhere
You should have a rpo code in the truck that tells which one you have stock(unless it's been swapped)
I can post the rpo codes if you want them(provided they are in my code list)

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
That RPO code is worthless when shopping for a diff. When the seller doesn't have the RPO code from the CTS that they pulled it from.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
Well if its still in the car with the rear wheels off the ground, if you spin a LSD wheel by hand on one side the other side should turn the same direction, an open diff should spin the opposite direction.

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
Well if its still in the car with the rear wheels off the ground, if you spin a LSD wheel by hand on one side the other side should turn the same direction, an open diff should spin the opposite direction.
That works too. My original diff, the LSD, both wheels spun the same direction. Now with the non-LSD, they spin opposite of each other. Both jacked up and spun by hand.

KOT

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone with a 2006 that has 17" rims can give me there last 8 of the Vin # I wanna try and order the internal parts of the diff and convert mine to lsd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts