Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, there were a lot of nice cars on the road yesterday!!
I had my baby out most of the day cruising. I managed to attract some competition too. One I DEFINATELY DIDN'T WANT and one that I did.
The one that I didn't want was a barbell-boy in a NICE Grand National. Needless to say, he BLASTED away from the traffic light and I just sat there telling my wife why I didn't even try to catch him :rolleyes:
The other was later in the evening. I pulled up to a light and a gorgeous '69 Chevelle pulls up next to me. My daughter looks over at the Chevelle (which is sitting there with a nice lumpy cam idle) and starts drooling over it. Black with white "Z" stripes, chrome wheels, and shiney as hell. The light turned green and we both took off about half-throttle for about 50' and then he hit it. I hit it, and stayed right next to him to about 70mph. He backed-off and I pulled up along side. We were coming to a gentle bend in the highway and then a long straight. About half way through the radius he hits it again. This time we go up to about 100-115mph and again I'm right next to him. He backed-out of it at that point and I went sailing away alone. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty damn good, he was probably PISSED and my daughter was surprised as hell :D
By the look and sound of that car I NEVER would've assumed I would've stood a chance with him at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly NOT claiming victory or anything since neither one could apparently pull the other, but it just shows to go ya that just 'cause they "look and sound" fast.......... :sneaky:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would that be a true R/T with the six-pack?
Actually, the point I like to make as often as possible is that it doesn't matter WHAT the car is, or HOW GREAT it looks or sounds, it's how it's setup. The best combination of parts can still run poorly if not PROPERLY setup.
If your car IS a six-pack, then it's the PERFECT example. Those cars CAN be very fast but they are VERY hard to properly tune. MOST multi-carb cars don't run anywhere near their full capability mainly because there aren't a lot of guys left around that know how to set them up.
Back in my motorcycle days, I found the same to quite true with most bikes on the road. My Katana 1100 was a very fast bike but not quite a match for the FASTEST bike of the day, the ZX11. But still, I often managed to beat them on the road (and the track) because of riding technique and the fact that I kept my bike in PEAK tune. Most guys either don't know how to gnats-ass tune their machines, or don't bother, and THAT's how I beat them.
Of course this generally ONLY works when the race would usually be fairly close. NOT the case with my Caddy and the Grand National in my original post, hence the reason why I just let him go and I saved the beating on my car :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
it is a true r/t, my pops bought it new in 1970, but no 6-pack, just a kick a** Holley 4bbl, with a bored out 383 v8, and a 727 torque flight tranny. it is the crown jewel of my cars, untill i get the 1976 coupe de ville up and running again with a new freeze plug. i am just getting tired smoking the ricers here in the bay area, i need a nice caddy to have fun with :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AirJigga25 said:
:thumbsup:
115mph with the daughter in the car, good job!

I seem to recall being lambasted by you for going 110 on the INTERSTATE, definitely not from a stoplight. How do you spell hippocrit?? :banghead2
1. I DID figure I'd catch hell about that.
2. I'm just a little older than you and so's my daughter. Hell she drives faster than me :rolleyes:
3. When I gave you grief, it wasn't for going fast on a highway. As I recall, your antics included weaving through traffic (me and the Chevelle were alone on the road), and passing on the shoulder (something I have never done and will never do).

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AirJigga25 said:
Even so...You're still a hypocrite. You gotta practice what you preach.
Dude, if you think that racing some guy one-on-one during the day in perfect weather, on a nice wide open highway with NO OTHER CARS in sight is anywhere near what you did, you're even more clueless than I originally thought you were. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
a couple months ago you were all about safety and never putting other people's lives at risk. Well anytime you go over 100 with someone else in the car you're putting someone else's life at risk. In this case it was your daughter. She must have been impressed. I never saw my father drive over 85 because he set a good example. He'd go about 74 even though we all wanted him to go faster.

A couple months ago you were all about safety and how I was an idiot for pulling dangerous stunts... all I have to say is you're a hypocrite.

Personally, I don't think driving fast is a big deal. I wouldn't drive 115 with my niece in the car though.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AirJigga25 said:
a couple months ago you were all about safety and never putting other people's lives at risk. Well anytime you go over 100 with someone else in the car you're putting someone else's life at risk. In this case it was your daughter. She must have been impressed. I never saw my father drive over 85 because he set a good example. He'd go about 74 even though we all wanted him to go faster.

A couple months ago you were all about safety and how I was an idiot for pulling dangerous stunts... all I have to say is you're a hypocrite.

Personally, I don't think driving fast is a big deal. I wouldn't drive 115 with my niece in the car though.
If it makes you feel better to call me a hypocrite, have at it cuz. You obviously missed the whole point of the flack you caught from your original post. I guess I should be surprised [heavy sarcasm]
If I was "all about safety" as you say, I would not support street racing what so ever, and certainly wouldn't be posting anything in this "Kill Story" section.
I'm relatively sure that I've done more wild and wreckless things in my life than most people, and still do from time to time, I've got the scars, broken bones, and assorted hardware in my body replacing items that God gave me to prove it. That said, the older I get, the more I realize the difference between wreckless and STUPID, and the more I think about my own mortality. You're still young yet and the lines are still blurred for you.

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
dave383 said:
not to bad, i wonder how good u could do against my 1970 r/t challenger. :burn: that would be fun.

ILL put my $$$ on Katshot's LT1 :spin: :spin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts