Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changing my trans fluid as I write this. I cannot find a picture, or schematic, for the side cover drain plug. Everything just says to rempve it, but doesn't tell, or show, you where it is. I took a few pics, of a bolt. Please, for anyone who knows, is this the drain plug? If it isn't, where is it? Thanks

Don

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
I think you need to remove the entire side cover. I'm not sure there is a dedicated drain plug, is there?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I decided to just go for it, and pulled the plug. That is the side cover drain plug. The thing that concerned me, was that it looks like a nut, attatched to a stud. I was worried that it was holding something from above, and if I removed it, the part would fall away. But anyway, I hope that this will help my fellow Caddy owners. This pic isn't even in the FSM.

Don

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Dadillac said:
Well, I decided to just go for it, and pulled the plug. That is the side cover drain plug. The thing that concerned me, was that it looks like a nut, attatched to a stud. I was worried that it was holding something from above, and if I removed it, the part would fall away. But anyway, I hope that this will help my fellow Caddy owners. This pic isn't even in the FSM.

Don
Well I'm too late but as you already found, that is the correct bolt to remove to drain the side cover. You successfully located the infamous "hidden side cover drain plug." I had the same dilemma as you when I changed my fluid, only I just started removing things until fluid came out. :thepan: In the end I found the same thing you did, so it all worked out for the best thankfully. Glad you got it and thanks for the picture!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual says the tranny should take about 12 quarts after draining. Mine only used about 7.5 qts. Where the heck is the other 4.5 qts. at? Well, aside from the downtime of trying to locate the drain plug, the whole job took only about 1.5 hrs. I also relocated one of my HID ballasts. Also noticed that a throttle body cleaning is in order. I am also fed up with the damn air intake muffler thing. I will be removing that thing also. Just need to find a new hose, or some kind of plug. With that thing gone, checking the trans fluid, will be a snap.

Don

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,177 Posts
Now that you mention it, I have always wondered what that "watchamacalit" on the intake is, what it's purpose in life is and exaclty how it goes about accomplishing whatever it does. Everytime I think about removing it, I always think about what we have been taught about "reengineering". God, I wish "Rob" where still around.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a noise resonator to quiet the intake. Great for the intended new Caddy customer (over 50), but really unnecessary. It just gets in the way. It also makes removing the air box cover a PITA. I have seen guys who have removed it, and used a plug to fill the hole. I will search for an appropriate tube, and just replace the entire piece.

Don

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,177 Posts
I can't understand how that would quiet it down. I wonder how noisy it is without it. I am over 50 you know.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I cleaned the throttle plate this morning. Not difficult at all. While I had the intake hose off, I took a good hard look at it. The large "canister" is a hollow piece. I took a measurement, removed the canister, and made my mod. Took about two minutes of engineering, and about five minutes of building. Check out the photos. With the car in park, I revved it up a few times. You hear a slight whistling. Not bad, and probably will not hear it with the hood closed. I will let you know once I have driven it.

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and best of all, you do not have to be a contortionist to check the tranny fluid. It is fully accessible now.

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tested the new mod. Everything is perfectly fine. No additional noise, and the cars performance, has not been compromisd. Just thought I would let you all know.

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts