Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After porting my TB my car was going into "reduced power mode". I thought my TB was screwed (and maybe it is), I bought a FAST 90 and TPIS 90mm TB to fix that and to cover my cam swap down the road. Well, to my suprise this didn't fix it and after searching through numerious corvette forums I found out that I would need tuning to get it fix and that it's a rare event that this happens, but thats my luck.

Anyways, after changing a few minor things to get my car to run again. Jeff, from Carolina Auto Masters, made a baseline run of 357rwhp and 353 rwtq.:eek: I've never dynoed before, so I don't have a stock graph to compare it to. Either way from what I've been seeing stock V's dyno I was a little suprised by that number alone.

After 3 more pulls I ended up with 372rwhp and 363rwtq. We had to drive it around the block about 6 times to get it to idle right with the A/C. But it's all good now and time for headers.

My mods are FAST 90 intake, TPIS 90 TB, electric water pump, Magnaflow catback, K&N filter, homemade intake tubing, and descreened MAF.

Attachments

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts
I thought descreening the MAF reduced performance due to the 90 degree bend in our intake path. The screen should be causing laminar flow in the intake tube which helps the air turn the corner. In a straight intake track (Corvettes, F-bodies...) it's just a restriction so you get a flow improvement by removing on those cars.

Anyone with before/after dyno results on this?

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
142 Posts
howdy jon, nice numbers :) you must be near me as I know alot of CAM customers, one of them is a buddy of mine with a 1000 hp supra. Haywoods did the baseline on my V and I'm gonna hit them up for a few pulls now that I have stealth v's tune, headers, and a few other bolt ons.

drop me a pm and maybe we can catch up with some other V owners in the area, there are quite a few.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
04CTSVFLA said:
wow. nice #'s can u pls explain what you did to descreen the maf?
Yeah, I took it out of the car, layed it on the workbench and jammed a screw driver through the MAF and knocked the side of screen out far enough so that I could turn it over and pull it the rest of the way. pretty easy, just watch out for those little wires or you may end up with a practice MAF.

As far as it hurting power, it's due to the calibration being off. The screen smooths out the flow which makes for a better reading to the sensors. If you have the ability and know how to tune or have access to a dyno tuning facility then I dont see any reason not to. I mean if you took the screen and flattened it out it would probably cover ¼ of the opening.

The other issue of the 90º bend, well its not likely to straighten that out due to the tubing itself being crimped and what not to clear the pulleys. If GM decided they could run without it on the Z06 then so can I. They have probably a 30º bend followed by that flexible hose stuff in their intake tract. If someone had flow bench results to back that up then I stand corrected. If nothing esle, go to a junk yard and get one of a 98+ GM full size truck descreen it. Keep the old one as back up and if it dont work then sell it on ebay as a high performance piece.

MSJ said:
howdy jon, nice numbers :) you must be near me as I know alot of CAM customers
I'm actually from Asheboro, so its about an hour or two to get to the Raleigh/Durham/Fuquay area

Jon

·
Registered
CTS-V 2010
219 Posts
So if I understand this correctly. A fast intake with a 90mm TB is good for about 15 RWHP? Cost for the setup is about $1400, correct? That would fit my formula for cost vs HP. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Basically, if you were in the market for a fast manifold, i would, IMO, not go for the 78mm unit and go straight for the 90mm unit.

In the beginning, the fast TB's were having issues and it is apparent that those issues have been cured. There is still some debate but today, there are a few different choices, like the aformentioned TPIS 90mm tb unit that have been working without any known issues. (Issues i mean by sticking blades, idle irregularities, etc..)

WIth a few studies, it has been shown that a FAST 90mm setup will net you about 15rwhp, give or take plus or minus 5hp, averaged. In general, you will see more power output with a mod'd motor than a stock unit. However, this one was barely mod'd and it got about 15rwhp so it shows that it works.

Its the flow charactertics, injector location, port shape that makes this manifold shine!! However, its not just a regular manifold. It is constructed with three, light-weight plastic composite pieces. If you port it and mess up, for example, just get the top piece and you good to go. Also, it comes with provisions for a direct nitrous, bungs, and you can opt'd it with a burst panel/bypass valve. IT is pressure sensitive and will protect your motor and manifold for extensive damage in case of a nitropus backfire, a must if you run the magic salsa IMO.

Its expensive but it works; however, it being costly is also relative to what you feel is costly. Its a nice looking piece and will not heat soak will a aftermarket aluminum piece. It works well and has sweet features. I felt it necesary and therefore the price is fine me.

A side note, the ls2 comes with a "90mm" intake but it has been shown and proven that swapping over to this unit will make less power than a ls6 manifold, this has been done of f-bodies/vettes. The fast has out performed the ls2 90 so it isn't "same thing" lol!! Also, TPIS, i believe, has a ported ls6 manifold and oval'd TB that has shown to produce good solid numbers, I would look into that one as well if your in the market for a manifold which these motors want SO bad!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a word of caution if going with the 90mm FAST intake and 90mm throttle body on ls6.

Use caution with the TPIS 90mm throttle body, they sometimes are difficult to tune.

Most tuners are using the LS2 throttle body, that is what is on our V.

I am not badmouthing TPIS but just throwing this out there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i cna understand that maybe you had some "Eh" experiences with the TPIS stuff...

however, you warned about cautionin' the use of a 90mm FAST intake and a 90mm TB on a ls6, can you please elaborate? Is there that much of a difference between a ls1 and a ls6 besides the heads and other internal flow characteristics(water/oil passages), support ribs, etc.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
jimbo1320 said:
So if I understand this correctly. A fast intake with a 90mm TB is good for about 15 RWHP? Cost for the setup is about $1400, correct? That would fit my formula for cost vs HP. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
I'm not sure if you do. The gains shown on the dyno sheet are just tuning gains. I don't have any other dyno information previous to this one. I tried but I couldn't get an appointment to fit my schedule.

In my research on fast intakes I've found that LS1 cars with roughly 400rwhp gain ~20hp. The 90mm version that is, I dont believe anyone should buy the 78mm for any reason. Since my goals are 450+ I decided it was right for me. I bought my intake off of ebay for $760 shipped. I would have gotten an LS2 TB but I've read that they require some port and polish work to get the best results, and I surely didn't want to mess up another one or wait for a speed shop to get it done. I hated that it was down as long as it was.

About the TPIS, when I popped my hood at the dyno place, I was imedeately informed that I had a peice of junk. And that I should have gotten an LS2 for half the price. Turns out that he had a few on hand that people had gotten rid of due to the inability to tune it properly. But mine seemed to be fine. Another thing I've read is that they dont seal properly against the intake. Upon examing mine you could tell where the CNC machine had changed directions on the back and I could feel the unevenness with my fingers, so I just held it on the trusty ol' belt sander til it was smooth. I still may trade it out down the road, just because with the engine cover on its really the only thing that pops out that not stock.

Jon

·
Registered
476 Posts
There is yet another alternative to the FAST intake/90mm TB. That is an LS6 intake with a 90mm TB. TPIS has figured out a way to modifiy the LS6 manifold. Price I think is about half of what a FAST costs. Call www.tpis.com for specifics.
I have this combination with a LS2 TB and am very satisfied with it. No need for additional tuning, no flat spots, gas mileage the same or better and very nice power increase. Haven't dynoed it, but TPIS claims 18-20 RWHP increase with this mod if you already have headers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There was an article floating around that had several different intakes and their dyno results. The FAST 90 won the shootout, but not by much. I don't remember the specifics, but knew that intake mods on an LS6 does not have a good price/performance ratio.

·
Registered
CTS-V 2010
219 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback. I will have to digest all the info and make a decision. Sounds like a fast intake with a TB from a ls2 is the way to go. I belive I would have to retune with Stealth to get max performance. Maybe the slotted rotors are the safest way to go for now.

·
Banned
96 Posts
jimbo1320 said:

What are your other mods?? With carefull shopping, a new Fast 90 and LS2 tbody is in the $1,000 range.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CTSVman said:
What are your other mods?? With carefull shopping, a new Fast 90 and LS2 tbody is in the $1,000 range.
Just to clearify I bought my intake 'new' from ebay for $760 shipped, there may be a better deal. I didn't spend much time shopping for one.

Jon

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want to imrpove on your gains Tony Mamo from AFR does a kit where he hand ports the FAST intake and a Nick Williams throttle body. I have a friend who went from 450 rwhp and 402 tq to 472rwhp and 422tq when he added this to his set-up. He already had an LG cam, headers and heads on his Z06.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I talked to Mamo about porting mine, he was backed up for a few weeks. I'll probably get mine ported while its down for the cam swap. Tony charges 500 for porting and there are a few options you can get.

Jon

·
Registered
212 Posts
There it is, Nick Williams... that is a great 90mm tb that hasn't had ANY issues up to date..

I have the fast 90mm tb, for my camaro which is cable actuated and haven't had any issues. At first i thought i had a sticking issue but it turned out to be the iac sensor... replaced sensor, no problems up todate.

IMO, you really cannot compare this mod to a nitrous kit for example. We all know the power productivity of the juice and its a great mod for the dollars. Know, the numbers aren't much, but what your buying is a new manifold that gives you the options to do a number of things. You can take it apart, port it and mess up bad, and not half to buy a whole new manifold, just replace the top piece. ITs ports are charateristics is above all else stock and when ported, correctly, is pretty much un toucheable unless you reach the power levels wher you need a single plane manifold; which i believe no one here will try it soon....

buhahha!!!
good luck, i mentioned before and it was brought up again, the TPIS ported ls6 is quit impressive with an oval 90mm... a good alternative. Never spend your money on either a 79mm fast, a ls2 manifold however, the turbonator is the best kept secret in motorsports!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts