Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always something new to report. Ugh.

When I went to lunch today soon after I started my car, I started hearing a very fast clicking sound (like a relay clicking) coming from inside of the dash on the passenger side. It would click for about 25 seconds, then stop for a bit (3 minutes), then I would start hearing it again. I was driving for about 25 minutes and heard this a few times off and on. I had never heard it before. Everything seemed to be working fine. I will note that it was unusually cold this morning and when I got to work my power antenna lowered and it sounded like it wanted to keep running as if it thought it wasnt all the way down (finally stopped after about 30 seconds), but at lunch it seemed fine when it went back down then I shut off the car, as temperatures had warmed. I do plan on getting some mineral spirits to lube that. I am surprised that it even still works. I dont know if the problem is related or not.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Puh. Well when I left work at 5:00, I only heard it once initially right after I started the car (fast clicking in the dash on passenger side), then it never did it again. When I got home, I sprayed the antenna with PB Blaster and it went down fast and didn't make any noise. I guess when I drive the car tomorrow if I hear the clicking in the dash again I will know that it wasn't the antenna causing it.

The owners manual says to use mineral oil (or mineral spirits, I cannot remember which) to clean/lubricate the antenna mast. I didn't have any, so PB Blaster has to work for now.

·
Registered
1993 deville
92 Posts
on the really cold days mine clicks in the center of the dash like the battery is about dead...is it cranking slow?

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Your antenna mast is on the rear of the car right? Wonder why it would click behind the dash. I've heard some guys on here (mcmarto?) mention that the pcm going bad would make a clicking from the passenger dash area where it's located. But I wouldn't jump to conclusions if you're not having any other issues than the clicking.

Tennessee, did you ever replace that EGR solenoid?? Could be a pinging from that side of the engine. My ping was on the driver side by where the valve is located. Might be that.

----------

Just read it happened with the car stationary. Prob not egr related in that case. I've used wd40 to clean the mast even though the manual says not too. I stopped using it and started using water lately

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not doing it now. I think it was the antenna.

on the really cold days mine clicks in the center of the dash like the battery is about dead...is it cranking slow?
Nope, it is cranking normal, it has a almost new battery too.

Your antenna mast is on the rear of the car right? Wonder why it would click behind the dash. I've heard some guys on here (mcmarto?) mention that the pcm going bad would make a clicking from the passenger dash area where it's located. But I wouldn't jump to conclusions if you're not having any other issues than the clicking.

Tennessee, did you ever replace that EGR solenoid?? Could be a pinging from that side of the engine. My ping was on the driver side by where the valve is located. Might be that.

----------

Just read it happened with the car stationary. Prob not egr related in that case. I've used wd40 to clean the mast even though the manual says not too. I stopped using it and started using water lately
Yeah, it is on the right rear of the car. I wasn't sure either, I was thinking that perhaps the relay was in the dash in that area or something. I drove the car for 3 hours today and never heard it at all and now when the antenna goes down, it stops instantly since I put lubricant on it.

Nope, never did replace the EGR solenoid, it isn't that loud now. It definitely wasnt a ping. It was an electrical sound almost like something was "sparking" or like a relay trying to make contact. I have a new problem though with oil "disappearing" that I am going to post a new thread on.

To be honest, I think I am going to put it in the market as a trade, or sell. I just don't really want to put anymore money or effort into it.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts