Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
I'm glad to see that NASCAR got emergency equipment out there pronto. That will speak volumes for them.

That being said, They NEED to do something different with their fencing setup. Edwards' wreck in 09 at 'Dega, and now this? I hope they can come up with something. I know that's part of being a motorsports spectator, but still.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Dale Earnhardt suggested they do away with restrictor plates and put the grandstands in the infield. If the drivers didn't like going fast they could find another line of work.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
1,299 Posts
The Fans knew what they signed up for when they bought those tickets..... But thank god i was not there for that wreck! I decided not to go see the 500 because of yet again more family problems! so i'll be watching it on tv tomorrow. :histeric:

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
Hmm.

I'm just hearing about this now. So from what I gather, two spectators were labeled to be in critical condition, but have been upgraded to stable.

At least they became INSTANT Millionaires from the ordeal.

Realistically though, that fencing situation is poorly designed and from an engineering perspective, failure is not only probable, but predictable. perhaps Nascar, which generates more than enough revenue as the largest spectator sport, should consider a redesign on their clearly outdated safety equipment.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn't heard Earnhardt's idea of putting the stands on the inside but I will never forget his summation of restictor plates, "That ain't racin'". Many 'plate races are won by mediocre drivers and even the best ones get 'collected'. It sucks sitting on the inside, but talent should beat luck.

I always thought the only good solution was to knock down the banks. As usual, Earnhardt touched a truth.

I don't care how they do it. Ban the plates. Bring back racin'.

----------

PS: I was not referring to Jimmy Johnson as mediocre. Ol' five-time is the real deal even if I'm not a fan. Ask any driver, how much do they have to do with being fast at a 'plate track?

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
Not a Jimmy Johnson fan either, but he knows his way around a racetrack.

Dale Jr. was looking really good advancing to the #2 spot during the final laps. I was hoping he would have pulled it off. Nonetheless, it was a good showing for Chevy/GM today.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I was at a local hockey game when a puck came into the stands and hit a small baby in a woman's arms in the head and drew blood. The woman and her husband immediately rushed off to the emergency room. They managed to make it back to the game after the kid got some stitches and were able to see the end of an exciting game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts