Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/11/lutz-pontiac-g8-to-continue-as-chevy-caprice-in-u-s-z28-likel/

Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

In his conversation with Automobile, Lutz also essentially confirms that next year's Cadillac CTS coupe will be joined by a V-series variant, saying that the CTS-V coupe was the car that had most of the Presidential Task Force members' tongues wagging during the product-pipeline tour they were given by GM. Lutz even hints that a CTS-V wagon is not completely out of the question. (We'll take the wagon in brown, with the stick, Bob.)

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Re: Bob Lutz says.... PONTIAC G8 TO LIVE ON! And CTS-V SportWagon a possibility??

Caprice - F yeah!
Anyone who wants the V wagon = gay

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Re: Bob Lutz says.... PONTIAC G8 TO LIVE ON! And CTS-V SportWagon a possibility??

Thanks Uncle Bob, I can sleep easier knowing you're on the job!

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

Return of the Caprice is mega FTW!

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts

Thank God! The G8 is such an amazing car, I couldn't see how they would let it go to waste.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts

Rolex needs a G8 GXP in his garage. I've actually got a G8 parked in my driveway right now with the keys on my kitchen counter and the owner out of state. :D

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

LWB Caprice SS -- Total FTW...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

Caprice - F yeah!
Anyone who wants the V wagon = gay
Hey, if they can sell it and make some bucks, more power to them. Some people might like a bad ass wagon...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

This article also does say that the Camaro Z28 is probably dead. Blame the "Government" part of GM...

Aren't there still gas guzzler taxes? Just tack one onto the mega high HP V8s/10s/12s, etc. and use the money to go plant trees somewhere.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts

I found a G8 GT-X in Dark Green Metallic. 1 of just 3 in New Jersey. We went to see it. My wife hated it. I loved it. We didn't get it ~! I am STILL pissed.
They came in
Bright Red
White
Black
Dark Gray Met.
Silver Met. and
Dark Green Met.

The Dk. Green is SO rare - other Pontiac dealers tried to tell me that they
"Don't come in Dk. Green !!!!!!!!!!
The Red is probably the neatest on the "X" - but I've always gone for the Rarest !!!

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

Rolex needs a G8 GXP in his garage. I've actually got a G8 parked in my driveway right now with the keys on my kitchen counter and the owner out of state. :D

You also have "the sexiest mini truck ever" (I think you called it somewhere) still in your driveway... :rolleyes:

You need to rent out a space in that lot at the corner of 8th and Walton by JimmyJohns and put up a big for sale sign.

I'll help you design the sign :histeric:

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

What is a GT-X?

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts

You also have "the sexiest mini truck ever" (I think you called it somewhere) still in your driveway... :rolleyes:

You need to rent out a space in that lot at the corner of 8th and Walton by JimmyJohns and put up a big for sale sign.

I'll help you design the sign :histeric:
I did this exact thing this morning. ;) As soon as my kiddo wakes up form her nap I'm going to get one of the neighbors to follow me over to the lot.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts

There are six G8 GXP in every color but "Pacific Slate" (green) at Haley Pontiac in Richmond (Midlothian Turnpike). All with automatics, no sticks. All at $40k sticker less at least the $4000. discount.

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts

Good news. I was wondering if GM would be foolish enough to abandon such a great platform.

So the Caprice will be a better performing vehicle than the Impala SS?
Mindblowing.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

It does seem a little backwards...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

$36K is insane for that car..... Like 1/2 of a CTS-V...

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts

Caprice? Will it get a vinyl top and bench seat?

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts

Maybe Cadillac will get a variant of this vehicle for a full-size luxury sedan...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts