Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car at the dealer for the supercharger TSB and they pointed out that the coupler on the end of the prop shaft is apparently filled with some sort of grease that has been spewed all over the heat shield on the exhaust pipes. They wanted 1,200 to replace the whole prop shaft because the coupler is not an individual GM part. I said no thanks (although it looks like even at GM Parts Direct the shaft is ~$750 by itself).

Has anyone else experienced this? I've only got 50k miles on the car. I don't notice any additional driveline play or clunk right now, but I assume now that the coupler has leaked it will eventually fail and introduce a major clunk. There are a lot of posts on the V1 forum about something that looks similar. I might try to replace it myself or see if I can get the dealer down on price (which usually I can). Or I will just ignore the problem until it becomes a noticeable issue.

They also said the carrier vent tube is leaking. That was going to be $750 because you have to drop the carrier to replace it. I also deferred that. A diff that leaks on a V? What else is new ;) I will be changing the fluid this weekend and will see how much the level has dropped as a result of the leak. I think not much since the garage floor is clean. There is fluid on the outside of the carrier but it isn't dripping.

One the one hand I want my car back in "perfect" shape. On the other hand, it's 6 years old. "Old" cars leak. My beater Aurora leaks just about everything. And ideally I want a V3 in about 2 years anyway.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,115 Posts
Thank goodness these aren't British sports cars.

If you've never had one, they are the most notorious vehicles on this green earth for leaks. They have leaks where you can't believe it could leak! I had an old piece of plywood under my MGB in the garage. Don't get me talking about the electrical system and Lucas, the God of Darkness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts