Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS, 2007 Escalade
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 05 STS back up ultrasonic rear parking assist (URPA) has failed. Red light flashes whenever the car is in reverse, and does not sense approach to objects when backing up. Have had it to the dealer on two different occasions, and still not fixed. First time, they checked the rear sensors and said they were good, but that it was apparently an electronic module that failed. They ordered the new module, and the car spent the day at the dealership again today. When they called me to pick it up, still not fixed, were unsure what the problem was, called the Tech Support service and, according to them, were told that a TSB on this problem was incorrect and that they should disregard the TSB and replace the 4 rear sensors. I asked if they tested the sensors today, and they said they did and they tested OK; but they were going to order the rear sensors and replace them, to see if that fixes the problem. Kind of like shooting in the dark , and see if they hit anything.

Anyone else had any experience with this problem?

Repair personnel said that GM had so many problems with the URPA that they were not putting them on the 06 STS.

Mark

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
208 Posts
Hypo said:
Our 05 STS back up ultrasonic rear parking assist (URPA) has failed. Red light flashes whenever the car is in reverse, and does not sense approach to objects when backing up. Have had it to the dealer on two different occasions, and still not fixed. First time, they checked the rear sensors and said they were good, but that it was apparently an electronic module that failed. They ordered the new module, and the car spent the day at the dealership again today. When they called me to pick it up, still not fixed, were unsure what the problem was, called the Tech Support service and, according to them, were told that a TSB on this problem was incorrect and that they should disregard the TSB and replace the 4 rear sensors. I asked if they tested the sensors today, and they said they did and they tested OK; but they were going to order the rear sensors and replace them, to see if that fixes the problem. Kind of like shooting in the dark , and see if they hit anything.

Anyone else had any experience with this problem?

Repair personnel said that GM had so many problems with the URPA that they were not putting them on the 06 STS.

Mark
from Cadillac's 2006 web site;
V6 Standard
3.6L V6 VVT with 255 hp
Adaptive Remote Start with Keyless Entry
Speed Sensitive Steering, Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist and more

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it speed related?:thehand: Mine also flash red if I go over 2-3 mph in Reverse, but are OK at slow speeds. I did have them go crazy once after a car wash so I attributed the malfunction to that. Other than the speed and 1 issue mine work just fine.

·
Registered
2005 STS, 2007 Escalade
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too, questioned if it was speed related, or a signal failure in that circuitry, but they said it is not.

The red LED flashes even when setting still, with the tranny in reverse.

Mark

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Hypo said:
I too, questioned if it was speed related, or a signal failure in that circuitry, but they said it is not.

The red LED flashes even when setting still, with the tranny in reverse.

Mark
The single red LED flashes to indicate that there is a problem with the system. It has its own little diagnostics in it. There's not much to the system - it has to be either the module or one of the sensors. One bad sensor takes out the whole system.

Their comment on not producing them anymore because they're troublesome is ludicrous. They will say anything that pops into their head in order to cover their incompetence. URPA has become a very desirable option on many different makes and models. You see more and more every day. The thought of GM just throwing up their hands because they can't produce a reliable system is just ridiculous.

I think they just don't want to replace the sensors. It probably requires removing the bumper cover which is a lot of work. Also, the new sensors will likely have to be painted to match the body color. It's a lot of hassle that they don't want to go through.

My sister went through the same exact problem with her GM vehicle. She went to multiple dealers who replaced the module and even the display itself. They told her that the one of the sensors was probably damaged by a 'shopping cart' and therefore wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway. After a long battle with GM, the dealer was 'persuaded' to pull the cover and replace a bad sensor. That's all it was.

As a funny aside, in testing the system (it had never worked so she wanted to try it out) my sister backed into her husband's truck thus destroying the new sensor. She hit the bumper in such a way that there was no damage at all to the bumper except dead center on one of the sensors, knocking it down inside the bumper cover. So the URPA worked for less than 24 hours. I replaced it with a sensor that I pulled, ironically, from a totalled Cadillac DTS.

Good luck!

Jim

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
Yup, URPA or an equivelant is here to stay. Virtually every lux car and many mids and vans have it now as standard.

Heck, even my 2000 Explorer has it and it has helped many a time.

Silly Rabbit....

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 06 STS , and it is equipped with the sensors ???? Thanks god still working after two weeks
How come dealer tell such lies just to cover their ignorance ??? similar story happened with me when I ordered my car I was very picky about having an auto close sunroof , but unfortunately the sunroof turned out to be a manual close , the dealer told me that 2005 was auto close but not anymore with 06 . after investigations I found that neither 05 nor 06 have this option, but my 1998 did ????
After having Cadillac’s since 1991 , I think this will be the last one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts