Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, the clearcoat on my trunk is almost all peeled away,and there are many bubbles where the clear is about to come off. The car had a shoddy repaint in '99 way before i got it and it shows. The hood is starting to fade/develop very small bubbles. Damn the Florida sun! The sides look perfect.

Im not trying to cure this problem as i am going to strip it and fix all the body work and do a QUALITY repaint on it sometime in the future.

I just want it to look good/better for the Tampa meet on the 21st of July. Is there product that will bring some shine back to here? Or stop the peeling for now? Also, is there i good way to clean a vinyl top?

Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Had similar problems on my 93 Deville fender. I wet sanded with 1000 grit to knock the flakes off then used a spray can of clearcoat to cover the exposed paint. It was a small area though, when my whole hood did the same I had to totally strip/repaint it. I dont think its possible to stop the pealing once it starts, just keep it waxed up as much as possible

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking something like 1000 grit to get all of the peeling crap off. Can anyone recommend a good wax?

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
You know, it's popular in the south to have a car's top surfaces repainted. Since it's not surrounded by the same color, like a door would be, it's not very hard to make the paint match.

But, since you're getting the whole thing done, that's out of the question. There usually isn't anything you can do once the clear starts peeling, sometimes water seeps under the edge and then there's no stopping it. But you can try what behind-bars said, that might work until your paint job, but no real fix. :)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ehh, i figured that was the case. Any good wax you guys know of that youve found is better than others?

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Ehh, i figured that was the case. Any good wax you guys know of that youve found is better than others?
Sorry, I cant really reccomend a wax. I think that any wax would be better then none though. I have used nu-finish, but Im sure thiers better.

My fix is noticeable from up close, but I know that ill have to get the hood and fenders repainted again, everything else is holding up good though, odd that the hood and front around the grill are so bad and faded while the rest of the top surfaces are in great shape

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
89 Posts
Everyone in the detailing world swears by Pinncale Souveran paste wax but... it's $80 a pop. If you want cheaper and good value for the price get P21s Concours wax. It looks great. You should also consider using a paint sealant BEFORE the carnauba wax. It will make the car shine, and protect it for around six months. Wax can be applied on top of it to get a little bit more shine, but you have to re-apply wax every 2-4 weeks

check on this site -

http://www.autogeek.net/carwax.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net is their forum, filled with tons of info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts