• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets take a poll,
Whats your opinion of your stock Factory Delco system in your Cadillac? What would you upgrade or change 1st?

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This includes ALL years/makes and model Cadillacs including the Cadillacs with Bose systems > Please cast your Vote! Thankyou!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The OEM speakers really aren't bad, and the reciever itself performs very well. The big shortfall of most (if not all) OEM stereo systems is the general lack of base/sub-base, and overall power. I think the OEM purposly limits these items for several reasons. First would be cost, subwoofers and amps tend to be the most expensive pieces of the sound system. Then you have the fact that if the OEM put anywhere near the power capability in their systems that the speakers could handle, customers would be "smoking" speakers left and right. In other words, I believe that in MOST applications, the OEM speakers can handle far more power than they are supplied with by the OEM amps. Finally, packaging is also an issue with subs and amps. Placement of the subs and amps is probably tough on many cars. In most cases, in order to reproduce large amounts of base and sub-base, you need large drivers. There IS technology to do it by alternative methods such as the Bose system in the Nissan 350Z but those "technological" solutions would only complicate the vehicle design and raise costs.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Hmm I had to vote for the sterio, cause it was originally an 8 track player. Then a Sony tape player got put in a long time ago and the person who put it in screwed up the center console thing. Now I put in a Kenwood CD deck and I have to re-do the whole rear deck to put in the Pioneer 6x9s that I got free with the deck. Anyway so yeah sterio.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have 99 sts with bose I like the system now bsides after after living though the 70's I cannot heard the difference any way

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had a lot of aftermarket systems before and I have to say that the BOSE in our 00 STS blew me away. I am REALLY impressed with the clarity, volume, and bass output of this factory system. I think part of the reason it sounds so good is that is has a 12" sub in the rear deck.

-Eli

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STSEli said:
I have had a lot of aftermarket systems before and I have to say that the BOSE in our 00 STS blew me away. I am REALLY impressed with the clarity, volume, and bass output of this factory system. I think part of the reason it sounds so good is that is has a 12" sub in the rear deck.

-Eli
Did your STS come from the factory with a 12" sub in the rear deck? Are you sure the subs a 12?

·
Registered
71 Posts
SoundAdvantage said:
Did your STS come from the factory with a 12" sub in the rear deck? Are you sure the subs a 12?
Yep. Its a 12. I measured it. I couldnt believe it either. Its the Bose 4.0 system.

-Eli

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well so far in this poll Stereos and Speakers are tied. What about some of you new members? Cast your Vote too, and any comments are Welcome. Thanx

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bass strains at any decent volume. I would think a 10 DVC JL at about 300W in a tuned ported box would add the necessary a** without adding much space. With the bass knob down the other speakers can put out some clear highs.:coolgleam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good poll. I am planning on redoing the stereo in my 97 Deville. So far i've ordered a Clarion 7" Widescreen/Touchscreen flip out w/ cd player built in for my head unit and I have a 15" Audiobahn in a sealed box being fed 500 watts rms. I plan on upgrading the door components and rear 6x9s. I am shooting for SQ...not so much competition wise just what I like. I like the sound being thrown at you from the front and the rear just for fill. I also plan on putting the clarion SRK5 1/2 DIN Center Channel Speaker Description: Clarion's SRK5 offers a unique in-dash solution. The SRK5 packs a 25-watt amplifier, five forward-firing 3/4" full-range speakers, and two internal 1" midbass speakers into a 1/2-DIN (1" tall) size unit! This will be installed into the "storage" pocket of my dash kit. I also am going to put a rear flip down in the 15"-17" range. I also have a PS2 currently installed. My last cars audio/video equipment was stolen. I want this to be "simple" in a lot of ways don't want to draw attention. IE Headrest monitors again. Just want to keep it low key and have my toys at the same time. I will do write ups and post pics soon!

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
97DevilleTwinkies said:
Good poll. I am planning on redoing the stereo in my 97 Deville. My last cars audio/video equipment was stolen. I want this to be "simple" in a lot of ways don't want to draw attention. IE Headrest monitors again. Just want to keep it low key and have my toys at the same time. I will do write ups and post pics soon!
Thanx :welcome: Sounds like your on your way to another great sounding system in your Caddy. I would hope you have a high end "Dependable" Theft Protection Security System installed by now! I have had great luck with the Omega Excalibur ATV1000. Thanx for posting> It looks like Stereos are in the lead, I am in the process of another new system in my Caddy> I chose the Panasonic Ghost for my head unit this time around. I had a Panasonic 601U in the dash but i liked the 5 volt pre-outs on the CQ-HR1003U and it's Sirius Ready too. I am very much in to Sound Quality myself, SPL is fun but not practical for the everyday driver.

P E A C E

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
STSEli said:
Yep. Its a 12. I measured it. I couldnt believe it either. Its the Bose 4.0 system.

-Eli
the sts has a great sound system, but sorry thats not a 12 on your back deck, its a 10 inch sub. anyways regarding this poll i would replace my head unit, i love my bose i just wish i could take out my cd rom 5 inch navigation screen and replace it with somnethign nicer, even a newer cadillac DVD navigation screen i would be very happy with!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Interesting that this poll popped up as I have just done upgrades to my 1990 Deville in the last week.

Here's what I did:

Kept the Delco Symphony Sound AM/FM Cassette Head and amp.
Replaced top of dash speakers with Kenwood 2-way
Replaced rear deck speakers with JBL 3-way
Added Sony FM modulated 10 Disc CD/MP3 player with remote.

Sound is very good however I do get some distortion at about 60% volume level. I am not sure if it is because of vibration in the speaker surrounds or what. At higher volumes it is definitely better to have the sound biased to the rear.

I have been surprised how good that the MP3 discs sound at 180k sampling rate (10 hours per disc). I'm also surprised how relatively slow that the changer operates when changing discs. I have had the changer in for over a week now and it has not yet had a dropout or skip.

The only real hang up I have with this system is that I wish that when I am using the CD that the power antenna would stay "down". But this is a small point and easily lived with.

The ultra cool thing is that with the changer in the trunk and remote easily stowed (I put an extra velcro pad further back on the under dash allowing me to put the remote out of sight in case I have to leave the car in a bad neighborhood) is that the enhancements are nominally invisible. What thief would take the time and trouble to break in for a 1990 OEM head unit selling on eBay for under $50?

·
Registered
92 Deville
1,725 Posts
ChiMick, thats really smart, you just gave me a good idea now. Thats probably what I will do now, keep the stock look but at the same time be more up to date when it comes to stereo equipment.

And the added bonus is I can use the cassette adapter to my Dell Jukebox which holds 20 gigs of music.

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After you cast your Vote on this Poll, Please list the items that you have already upgraded in your Caddy's Sound System :) and let us know how it Sounds. Thanx

·
Registered
43 Posts
The stock system (Bose) in my 00 STS was actually a really nice system for a stock car, it had some decent clarity in the highs, and good mids. The sub which is a 12" (at least in my model) is good, but the way that the system was set up, the sub can never be loud enough to match the mids and highs. The Bose head unit had no real control of the speakers as in Q, frequency, etc., also I think that the "middle channel" made the system worse in a way that you have less change between left and right. But it did add a nice fullness of music. So its good and bad. Good if you have A DVD player with a 5.1 system. The first thing that I did was put the setup I had in my old 86 Deville and put in my STS which was 12W7 in the High Output box paired with a MTX Thunder 942 amp. Now I said earlier that the stock system was okay in highs, but not good match for the JLW7. So this weekend I tore my car apart, from the front seats back and then some to bypass the Bose amp which is behind the backseats, removed it and ran wires to my JVC KD-LH 1000 head unit, also from my old car. I ran into several problems, one of them being Theftlock and the OBD II connection which was not to bad to solve. If anyone runs into the same problem just ask. Also the front door speaker where the 1 ohm Bose kind, so I disconnected them. I think I will reconnect them later, those were what gave the car good mids. Even with all of the stock speakers my highs are much better and much cleaner, and mids also - but lacking some base because of the loss of the 2 front door speakers. I have yet to put my sub back in to hear everything, but I know overall system will be MUCH cleaner. And thats of course also to the added control of the deck.

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I brought this Poll back for some New Cadillac Forums Members to Vote on :D

Let us know what you think and also what upgrades you have completed so far on your stereo system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I just bought an 89 deville on monday and the first thing I bought was speakers and a cd player yesterday. I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP425 mp3 deck

Kenwood KFC-X698 6x9's for the back

and for the front I got JVC CS-HX4622 4x6's

i got it all for with everything to install it for a good price because an audio store near me is having a going out of business sale

1 - 20 of 24 Posts