Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I thought I'd seen a TSB that said that Cadillac had a fix with a bushing replacement to control some of the slop in the shifter. Maybe I'm smoking something as I can't find it anywhere in the TSB page on the CadillacFAQ...

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I know all about the after market shifters, but if there's something that can be done to lessen the immediate need for the aftermarket shifter, that would be swell. ;)

Thanks guys.

-M

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
No TSB as of yet, but the stock shifter is horrible. My ASM would not allow the dealer to install my B&M shifter so I had to sell it. A sad day indeed. I'm quitting my job and moving to Northern VA just so Damian at Moore Cadillac can service my V.:thehand: Don't try to talk me out of it, I've made up my mind.

·
Registered
05 V/corsa/shifter/bushings/stealth tune/cai/19inch hre's
843 Posts
service manager maybe...but im with ya...two thumbs for moore...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
ASM - Assimus Shitakus Maximus (Area Service Manager)

An ASM is a rare beast indeed. And as their biological name connotes, they are usually full of excrement. They usually only surface when repairs on your V exceed $1,000. At this point they use their main defense mechanism, camouflage. At first they appear to be a friend and the conversation is light and cordial. But at some point this turns to accusations and innuendoes. If you're careful you can catch them usually in lies but be careful. Ultimately these unruly beasts hold your warranty in the palm of their hairy, fully clawed hands. Approach with extreme caution.

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why didn't you install it yourself? Would the service manager ever know that you installed it?

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
GOTTSPD said:
why didn't you install it yourself? Would the service manager ever know that you installed it?
Too long to post the whole story. I'm the reason ASM's exist. My V has cost the General plenty. My best guess so far would be in excess of $10,000 in repairs, labor and free rentals/loaners. This last visit cost them over $1,000 just for the rental. Unfortunately I'm not doing much for their profit model. An aftermarket shifter, installed by an owner (non-ASE certified mechanic) if that's not tempting fate I don't know what is.

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got ya...

You could rely on Magnuson Moss and just assume that shifter assembly related items won't be covered. However, you could have an uphill battle if there was a transmission in the future...

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
CVP33 said:
I'm quitting my job and moving to Northern VA just so Damian at Moore Cadillac can service my V.:thehand: Don't try to talk me out of it, I've made up my mind.
Chris,

Done that already..got a little apartment down the street from Moore...there is room on the couch, just throw the beer cans and pizza boxes on the floor..:thumbsup:, oh, and let the F**ing cat out too...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
GOTTSPD said:
got ya...

You could rely on Magnuson Moss and just assume that shifter assembly related items won't be covered. However, you could have an uphill battle if there was a transmission in the future...
The shifter on the V is not directly linked to the trans. In essence its just a higher quality handle replacement. The actual connection to the trans is the same junk linkage. It would be next to impossible to blame a trans problem on the 'remote' handle.

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that and you know that. Wouldn't necessarily want to have fight that out with the service folks though. If they can avoid it, they'll try. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nevertheless, I though sure that there was something in the FAQ that made reference to a bushing replacement of some sort that Cadillac could do if the customer complained.... Anyone? Bueller??

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
I looked through the FAQ with no success but seem to recall a differential mount (not shifter) bushing replacement. BMR also makes a replacement for this same differential bushing.

Having installed the B&M kit, I can't see any change in the stock setup that could easily remedy the loose feel. The stock unit is designed for easy and quiet operation at the expense of crisp, direct action.

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Lasstss.... you happen to have any more of these bushing kits? Can you tell me more about what you made and what the improvements were?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
2005 CTS-V (Sold), 2017 Volt Premier (16-yr-old son), '16 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,941 Posts
My wife's no ASM, but after my B&M install, she didn't even sense the difference when she drove it to work one day. Unless you drive an OEM shifter often, I'm not sure the dealer would even realize it wasn't stock if they just moved it around in their service area. Of course, as CVP33 pointed out, if they did find out, they would undoubtedly use it to their advantage if repair costs became a hot issue.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
I'm not tempting fate on this V. The B&M shifter couldn't cause and transmission failure anymore than a Kars Rear Cradle could cause a rear end failure. And we ALL know how that turned out. Unfortunately I'm in no position to take anymore chances.

·
Registered
CTS-V
252 Posts
I took my car to service, and they're replacing my shifter bushings for excess slack. I'll let you guys know if its much better when it gets back

Ben

1 - 20 of 24 Posts