Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.0t AWD
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone was considering ordering the factory service manuals for the ATS, here’s what you get – 5 volumes.
I propped up an old Haynes manual next to them just to show scale. I’ve purchased FSM’s for almost every
vehicle I have ever owned and it’s amazing to see how they have grown over the years. Back in the ‘70’s it
was a 1 volume ‘Manhattan phone book’ that included all the electrical schematics. As the electronics got more
complicated they put that stuff in own book. Now we are up to 5 books.

DSCN9269.JPG

·
Registered
2018 XTS VSport Platinum AWD
283 Posts
I too have bought factory service manuals for every new car I've owned.. The last set I bought were for the misses 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.. It was like a 3 or 4 volume set..

The way these manuals were laid out made them very difficult to use for anything.. Way overly complicated.. Most of the stuff that I did on that car myself, I got my instructions from You Tube video's .. And example of this was... I removed and sent to be repaired the anti-lock brake computer and solenoid module.. The You Tube video showed how ridiculously easy this was.. The factory manual made it seem like rocket science..

·
Registered
2014 2.0t AWD
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, how much did they run?
They are $200

I too have bought factory service manuals for every new car I've owned.. The last set I bought were for the misses 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.. It was like a 3 or 4 volume set..

The way these manuals were laid out made them very difficult to use for anything.. Way overly complicated.. Most of the stuff that I did on that car myself, I got my instructions from You Tube video's .. And example of this was... I removed and sent to be repaired the anti-lock brake computer and solenoid module.. The You Tube video showed how ridiculously easy this was.. The factory manual made it seem like rocket science..

You bring up a good point. I think if you spend enough time in them the layout of the information starts to make more sense.

Another thought about manuals:
FSA and aftermarket manuals make some assumptions about the audience.
FSA is written for a technician who makes a living spinning wrenches and most likely has access to all the specialty tools needed to work on the vehicle. They also cover anything a technician might have to work on – which is everything.
Aftermarket manuals are written for the DIYer, whom does not have access to specialty tools, and is only going to take on the basics (although they do go over things like engine overhaul, etc.). When you start getting into things like the EVAP system they are pretty much useless, they only provide a general overview. The good thing is often times they offer alternatives to having to use a special tool, or another way of doing things, and that comes in handy.

Aftermarket manuals try to cover the whole ‘family’ of vehicles for the entire production run, whereas FSM are very specific to that 1 year. I’ve seen several examples where a Chilton/Haynes completely missed some production change so the instructions didn’t match what I needed to do. I guess you get what you pay for. The best I have seen are the Bentley manuals for BMW/VW – great stuff!

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Nice! I also like to have FSM. My previous car, '99 Seville STS, had a three volume FSM. But truth be told I am not going to buy FSM for this ATS. Convenience and peace of mind were the main reasons to buy this new car. And for now I don't have time, space, or energy to go under the car and do wrenching, and prefer to use warranty service, even though it is very crappy!

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T - White Diamond Tricoat
35 Posts
I typically purchase FSMs for all my vehicles. I'm surprised that they still offer a hard copy. The FSMs for my old G35 and Ford Flex were both on CD/DVDs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts