Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 3.0DI NAV FE1 - in transit
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a call from dealer letting me know that my order for my 2009 CTS has been canceled by the factory. Included in this cancelation was some of their stock orders are well. So it sounds like the factory is closing down and retooling for 2010.

The good news is they have offered me a 2010 at the same price as my 2009. The only difference between the two model years (that my dealer could see) is that the base engine is now a 3.0L SIDI, instead of the 3.6L SFI. Does anyone have the specs on this engine?

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 6MT, 2008 Cadillac CTS 6MT
174 Posts
In the 2010 Equinox, the bigger engine is a 3.0L SIDI and it's 255hp. It isn't uncommon to find the same engine in a different vehicle with a different horsepower rating, although, 15 horsepower?

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Seems Cadillac can't decide

LF1 NEW! Engine, 3.0L V6 SIDI DOHC VVT (270 hp [201 kW] @
7000 rpm,
223 lb-ft of torque [302 N-m] @ 5700 rpm)

LF1 3.0L V6 ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

Engine type Dual Overhead Cams
Piston displacement, cu. in.(liter) 183.1 (3.00)
Bore and stroke, in.(cm.) 3.5 x 3.15 (8.89 x 8.00)
Compression ratio 11.7:1
Horsepower [email protected] rpm
Kilowatts(kW) [email protected] rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.) [email protected] rpm
Newton - Meters (N-m) [email protected] rpm

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Max horsepower at 6950 rpm, when are you going hit that. I don't even know if a spirited launch will hit 6950 rpm. I wonder what red line is?

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
In the Lacrosse, the 3.0 gets 255hp/217lbft, but the 3.6 gets 280/259. In the Enclave the 3.6 gets 288/270. It depends on the application. It should be a really good motor though. It is based on the 3.6, should get good mileage, and gets more hp (but less torque). Of course, you could get a V and then you don't have to worry about changes to engine performance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like it's +/- 10HP either way, which isn't a deal breaker. Once you factor in the estimated fuel economy improvement it will do just fine.

Is it time to start at new thread discussing the differences between 2009 and 2010? Or is this the only one of note? I saw talk of the 2009 having a 10" NAV screen and it later corrected to 8", any chance they were able to squeeze a 10" in 2010?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually the order guide seems to have all the information I would care about.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Looks like you have the info. Otherwise, the order switchover is pretty common when an order is placed very late in the model run...it can go either way, just depending on how things run at the end, scheduling wise and such.

What combo did you actually order?

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
Sounds like it's +/- 10HP either way, which isn't a deal breaker. Once you factor in the estimated fuel economy improvement it will do just fine.

Is it time to start at new thread discussing the differences between 2009 and 2010? Or is this the only one of note? I saw talk of the 2009 having a 10" NAV screen and it later corrected to 8", any chance they were able to squeeze a 10" in 2010?
Peak HP is for winning bench races. I'd be sad about losing 30 ft-lbs of torque. In a 4000-pound car, a 12% loss in torque is really going to be noticeable. I'd be willing to bet you'll feel a lot less "oomph" off the line. Like some of the other fellas said...6950 is a damn high RPM to achieve your "big" power number. I'm sure the car will move just fine, but to be honest I would save yourself some greenbacks and go find an '09 used/certified that has everything you had ordered from the factory. Hell, for the same price point you could get the DI engine too if you buy a CPO car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer both points/questions:

I ordered a Black Raven, AWD, 3.6L SFI, Comfort and Convenience (Luxury Level 2), NAV/DVD, Sunroof, and no wood trim! The no wood trim is the main reason it was factory ordered, almost every single stock CTS in Canada has wood trim and I hate it. It was actually a deal breaker. We found one about 400km away, but I also have an existing lease that goes back in October so waiting also made sense.

The deal I got was, what I felt, fantastic. I got GM employee pricing (factory invoice) and $6,000 in incentives. Alone with this I was price protected for any future GM deals that came up between purchase and delivery. Buying a used model was actually more expensive, even a lease take over was more than I was paying monthly for new. It is also illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving so Blue Tooth is very important to me as I am a travelling sales rep. This now limits me to 2009 only in a used car search.

Would I better served to pay the extra for the 3.6L DI instead of the 3.0L DI? I suspect the 3.0L will be fine but if the lack of torque will make the car 'sluggish' I don't want to get stuck especially since I won't get to test drive it.

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
To answer both points/questions:

I ordered a Black Raven, AWD, 3.6L SFI, Comfort and Convenience (Luxury Level 2), NAV/DVD, Sunroof, and no wood trim! The no wood trim is the main reason it was factory ordered, almost every single stock CTS in Canada has wood trim and I hate it. It was actually a deal breaker. We found one about 400km away, but I also have an existing lease that goes back in October so waiting also made sense.

The deal I got was, what I felt, fantastic. I got GM employee pricing (factory invoice) and $6,000 in incentives. Alone with this I was price protected for any future GM deals that came up between purchase and delivery. Buying a used model was actually more expensive, even a lease take over was more than I was paying monthly for new. It is also illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving so Blue Tooth is very important to me as I am a travelling sales rep. This now limits me to 2009 only in a used car search.

Would I better served to pay the extra for the 3.6L DI instead of the 3.0L DI? I suspect the 3.0L will be fine but if the lack of torque will make the car 'sluggish' I don't want to get stuck especially since I won't get to test drive it.
Hard to say, man. I have a 3.6 SFI and it's ok. Not a speed demon by any stretch. The torque is nice, but even the 20 more from the DI engine would be nice to have. My car is RWD. AWD is heavier with more friction loss. I don't know if I'd have an AWD without the DI. You would have to ask a current SFI/AWD owner.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM
295 Posts
If you can still get an '09 setup with the options you want, your dealer can order the carbon fiber trim to replace the wood. All that wood trim pops off in about 2 minutes and is very easy to replace with the standard trim!
If your dealer really wants to sell you a car, I would think they would do that at no charge for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT
146 Posts
I just picked up an '09 PFI 3.6l with a stick. I could have ordered the 2010 with the 3.0l DI, but I wanted the torque. So, I gave up a few options that I could have ordered for the better (IMHO) drivetrain.

·
Registered
2009 FE3 CTS
92 Posts
"I ordered a Black Raven, AWD, 3.6L SFI, Comfort and Convenience (Luxury Level 2), NAV/DVD, Sunroof, and no wood trim! The no wood trim is the main reason it was factory ordered, almost every single stock CTS in Canada has wood trim and I hate it. It was actually a deal breaker."

Thats so true! I did a factory order back on March 14 for the no wood reason as well as I wanted a FE3. Try to find that combination in Canada and it was not possible. I am not sure where in Canada you live but I saw the 3.6 SFI engine with no wood in Calgary at CMP last weekend. It was grey and it had 17" wheels and did not have a NAV. I am still waiting for mine but it was finally built and is being shipped now.

Another thing that is strange (besides paying way more for the same car) is there is still 0% fiancing in the US on the CTS but no longer in Canada. Does anyone know why that is?

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
I have to say that I'd stick with the 3.6 DI in an AWD set-up (this is what I have here in Ottawa) unless you never expect to have to (or want to) punch it from a stoplight or turning unto a busy road. Or unless most of the traffic in your area is in Kias...

Here are some links (hope they work) to the power/torque curves for the CTS engines:

2010 GM 3.0L V-6 VVT DI (LF1)
2010 GM 3.6L V-6 VVT DI (LLT)

And here's the 2009 SFI power/torque curve:

2009 GM 3.6L V-6 VVT (LY7)

Anyway, particularly with the added weight of the AWD and all that wood trim in my '09, I'm glad I went with the DI. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,313 Posts
Absolute engine torque may or may not be a factor. Net, at the wheel torque could be equal to the 3.6L; it would depend on whether the 3L had a different rear end ratio than the 3.6L. (and all this assumes that the transmission gearing were equal on both drivetrains)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts