Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a quick question to those that have completed a Aftermarket add-on.

First off, Ya i know, My question pertains to several related threads already answered here to install onto Factory Bose system. If i am here to irritate you guys its not my intention. I am a little clueless to this entire mass of electronics behind the seat. Mainly the Stock Amp

What i dont get is what will or will not work. I have seen several about HU upgrades with a more complicated procedure to just simply buying stock replacements.

I bought something that i didnt look into other than it being a good deal. I have a simple mono Alpine amp and Alpine 10" sub that am looking to install. I also saw that others have successfully done an add-on to the existing system with a LOC....? Is this so, Just into the Sub speaker wiring? Or directly into Factory Stereo for Audio? Just unsure of where to tap into? I have the Alpine MRP500 and a 4Ohm Alpine SWR-T10", Soon i wanted to alter the fiberglass material to keep somewhat stock. I also decided to purchase a Scosche LOC with bass control.

Before i proceed to test, My plan was to setup as so;
Amp Remote> 10A fused wire, hot in run
Amp Batt Power> + terminal (Underseat Fusebox)
Amp ground> Somewhere in trunk or on backseat subframe

LOC remote> spliced in to amp wire
LOC Ground> somewhere in trunk or backseat subframe
LOC Batt power> Amp batt screw terminal
LOC speaker wiring> This is where i am confused, Directly from headunit? As shown in diagram?? Subwoofer connection?

Just trying to see if i got this right.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
136 Posts
looks good so far, LOC directly to powered sub wiring.

You may run into a situation where the factory amp doesn't see "back pressure" from the stock sub and then won't send signal (because you have disconnected the sub and hooked up the LOC). If you search in the Audio Video section you'll find some threads. This can really trip up people because they can't figure out why they are not getting signal. The fix is to add in line capacitors, or some people just splice in an old speaker, or keep stock. I would go with in line capacitors. Let me know how it turns out. I've got all the stuff too, but haven't installed.

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also. Completely forgot about this. I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville with factory bose

Thx for quick reply. I will look into the audio/video section later tonight.
I would rather keep the speaker out since it was shot. I'll look more into these capacitors you are talking about too.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
136 Posts
I would say MOST people don't have this problem. Go ahead and ignore it, just install. I was just throwing that out in case you got stuck.

And put a fuse in your power line, close to where you are connecting to the battery: Safety First!

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes. Basically a fusable link right? Im sure most of the amp kits have em wired in...

I have been thinking about this too much and kept staying on the forums.
Read some, But from here> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/161219-installing-aftermarket-sub-amp-my-01-a-2.html
Seems to pose some issues for wiring, Like you mentioned the signal.

I was actually looking for diagrams for the amp yesterday and could not find a damn thing. But for the Subs power and ground wires is this diagram correct for the Car I have?>
cadillac.jpg

I may try and do the resistor trick because I have a feeling the sub will not be receiving the audio

·
Registered
2004 DHS DeVille
135 Posts
I just did this in my 2004 DHS with Bose. I simply spliced (solder) the LOC into the wires after the amp and before the stock sub. Hooked the amp up as you normally do. Positive line off the battery. Ground under seat on seat belt mount, remote wire to fuse box under seat (can't remember the #) if you look in the audio tips section you'll find it. Didn't need any resistors but I also left the stock sub in (for now), works great!! Super easy!!

----------

BTW, that wiring diagram is not correct. That is for 2 subs. You only have one. It says right on the diagram (for 2003-06 Escalade, DEnali, Hummer H2, Bravada, Envoy, Trailblazer, Rainier with Bose)

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chasd, Did you just tap into any wire color for the LOC or go by a reference. I could not find anything to go by, I don't know all that much if it needs to be properly connected through the LOC. I have the same color coding from the diagram above, Just of course 1 sub.

Yes I will test tomorrow with splicing the OE sub in. I would def like to do what these guys did here>
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/221579-02-deville-wiring-subwoofer-amp-need.html

----------

Just curious as to if the LOC needs proper input for audio signal

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
136 Posts
Yes, an amp kit will have the in line power fuse

Those two links are good, looks like you found what I was talking about: adding in line resistors. Doesn't seem like everyone has this problem.

·
Registered
2004 DHS DeVille
135 Posts
hacadacalopolis, There is a negative and a positive leads on the existing speaker wire and the loc. Just match neg to neg and pos to pos. The sound signal from the amp is already there your just adding the LOC to direct the signal to the RCA jacks that plug into your aftermarket amp that sends the signal to your aftermarket sub. It's really pretty simple. The hardest part is soldering the LOC into the existing sub wires and the attaching the power lead to the battery.

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, Ok.

I'll dig around my storage unit for the busted speaker. I know I should have at least kept the connector and wires.

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankfully I found my stock speaker to test this. Works. Now I can remove the deck and hopefully customize this soon.
As I was doing the hook up, I noticed about 3" standing water in the spare tire well. Took a lil while to find it, but the seam sealer gave it away. On the left driver side rear tire there are several areas where water is getting into and channeling its way into the trunk. I have a factory flaw- I can basically see out of one area. Time to prep and apply some seam sealer.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Water in the trunk and seam sealant problems are common as dirt in these vehicles. Many threads on the fixes down in Tech Tips. Sevilles were especially prone to trunk leaks. The tail light assemblies - and their mounting studs - are also a problem.

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't had any other issues with this car except water pump o ring failure, and of course I need to take care of the monitoring system with; Stability system", and TPMS". Plus my key fob went brain dead on me, If it has to be reprogrammed I wont be doing it right now.

But, back to the sub. Everything sounds good. I like the Alpine SWR-T10- I feel the acoustics are lacking. I am really just getting carried away, ha. To be perfectly honest though, I just hate the retarded Free Air stock sub this caddy came with.

In the meantime I started playing this fiberglass deck-which is actually a tad flexible but still somewhat solid. I threw about 20-25 lbs of sound deadener material on it, And got away with using a MDF adapter ring. Not only for the SUB mount( with only a 9.1" mount width), but for possible baffle/enclosure. The only thing I was concerned of was making it easier on myself by making the enclosure removable. Such as using threaded inserts allowing use for flanged bolts. Close quarters workability with the rear windshield.

Thoughts on thoughts, but what the hell I have got some free time for now. I tried not to destroy much of the structural assy as possible, but I figure with correct dimensions I should be able to get away with stacking 10"-11" MDF rings if I want to make an enclosure. I have checked out some of the cts guys, seems like they have put something together already. Btw, Anyone know if a supplier makes 1" or larger thickness in these MDF rings?- Guess I need to do some more searching... Here is what I had yesterday>
caddy sub.jpeg

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wanted to ask a question related to rear seat fuse box diagram.

First, let me say everything is working pretty damn good. If I had area to work with I would've got more involved and would have added more of an enclosure on the sub. The problems running into that would be- modifying the rear compartment lid hinge( wouldn't know without having a spare to fool with).

Anyways, I will be trying to get this minor electrical issue figured out eventually. As of now, I have the remote wire for amp tapped into one of the IGN wires and i get data loss at the Instrument cluster display- generally it switches over to metric readout and i lose my trip od from previous distance after car is shut off. happens almost everytime on start up. So i need another wire to tap into is all... Any recommendations would be great.

Oh also, the abs structure on the interior door panels are a joke. Is there any links to repair/upgrade to the stockers or are they this much of gm junk that you need to find replacements?

·
Registered
2005 DeVille Base
6 Posts
I have a 2005 deville base, after having a cheap aftermarket key fob installed and then removing it myself ( by ripping it out in frustration) i have had a problem with when i open my driver door all the way, the factory amp loses power and if done quickly or repetatively, it blows

also, about 1/3 of my dash/steering wheel lights no longer light

my ABS and TRACTION CONTROL warnings come on far too often

it reaks when i turn my A/C on, even after having sprayed disinfectant in the air filter and into the intake under the windshield

and finally, after using the lighter in the center up front to put some herb on because i did not have a smoking utencil and then putting it back into the accessory and holding it in, it no longer works

any help on these would be greatly appriciated

1 - 16 of 16 Posts