Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of fabric was used on the older, full-size Caddys from the 70s? Was it felt? I think that even when leather was used, sometimes the doors were lined with whatever this was.. Maybe it was velour...

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Having been in the upholstery business since 1977, I can tell you some was velour, some was velvet and some was crushed velvet. It depended on the year, location and application, there was no felt used except to line glove boxes, consoles, etc... and then not always. There was also hobnail cloth, tufted nylon and nylon body cloth as well as feux suede, real suede and leather along with vinyl. :thumbsup:

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crap, Randy. I knew you were good for something.:getaway:

Just kidding.. So velour, velvet or crushed velet.. So what's the difference between velvet and crushed velvet? And what do you think would be in, say, a Fleetwood Brougham Talisman?

I love the way cars are lined with leather on the doors these days, but I think I actually liked the feel of the velour/velvet of the past.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Crushed velvet has lines that run sporatically through it. as if it's been balled up or "crushed", then rolled back out flat. Ford used more of the crushed than GM did but convertors loved it, so you saw a lot of it in vans, limos, etc.... from that period.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'm not sure anybody uses leather on anything but seating areas of the upholstery. Door panels are usually vinyl. As for Velvet materials used, as I recall, there's several different finishes of velvet. Raised cut pile (traditional velvet), crushed velvet (has a rich shiney appearance due to the crushing of the pile), pressed velvet (where the pile is pressed, or burned into a pattern), and Velour (a stretch version of crushed velvet).

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great information.. I'd love to see some of this stuff on newer cars.. I bet one day we will.. Leather is nice but there's just something about the soft velvet - to me, anyway...

·
Registered
1976 FLEETWOOD brougham
355 Posts
hello.
I have scanned a picture of the talisman interiour from my 1976 sales katalog, i don't know if the text in the pic is readable so i write it down here to.

" Fleetwood Talisman. This sumptuous version of the Fleetwood Brougham is pure luxury. Individual fronts seats are trimmed in Medici, a stunning crushed velour available in Dark Blue or Black. Between each front seat is a console with a illuminated and lockable storage compartment. Outside, the car features a padded Elk Grain vinyl roof, turbine vaned wheel discs and identification on the roof panel."

And as Sal said.

"Leather is nice but there's just something about the soft velvet - to me, anyway..."

I agree, and in limo's is it often leather on the driver's seat for the wear and velvet or similar for the VIP's

Attachments

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
fleetwood76 said:
hello.
I have scanned a picture of the talisman interiour from my 1976 sales katalog, i don't know if the text in the pic is readable so i write it down here to.

" Fleetwood Talisman. This sumptuous version of the Fleetwood Brougham is pure luxury. Individual fronts seats are trimmed in Medici, a stunning crushed velour available in Dark Blue or Black. Between each front seat is a console with a illuminated and lockable storage compartment. Outside, the car features a padded Elk Grain vinyl roof, turbine vaned wheel discs and identification on the roof panel."

And as Sal said.

"Leather is nice but there's just something about the soft velvet - to me, anyway..."

I agree, and in limo's is it often leather on the driver's seat for the wear and velvet or similar for the VIP's
"Medici"???? Never heard of that.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Katshot said:
I'm not sure anybody uses leather on anything but seating areas of the upholstery. Door panels are usually vinyl. As for Velvet materials used, as I recall, there's several different finishes of velvet. Raised cut pile (traditional velvet), crushed velvet (has a rich shiney appearance due to the crushing of the pile), pressed velvet (where the pile is pressed, or burned into a pattern), and Velour (a stretch version of crushed velvet).
Cut velvet is velvet with a pattern formed by leaving the backing material bare in whatever pattern is desired. Crushed velvet looks like its been folded in random patterns and usually is shiney but doesn't have to be. You're right about pressed velvet, but velour has more to do with the backing and finish and can mimick any style of velvet unlike true velvet, velour is milled as presented while velvet is a backing fabric with upright fibers woven through and cut to length.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Medici was like "CORINTHIAN LEATHER", it was just a name that had a ring to it. It was just a heavy nap crush velvet. By the way "Rich Corinthian Leather", actually came from Argentina!

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Medici was a wealthy and powerful italian family during the italian renassiance!
lol :p

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Yes, I know, I have a client, Mitzi Perdue, wife of the late Frank Perdue of chicken fame, that owns a Medici desk. It has a compass rose and the Medici family name and crest on it. She told my wife and I the story of how she found it at an antique dealer in NY, when we were at a party. :cool2:

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
coooool
What kind of fabric do they use in a '92 deVille? They call it "Esteem Cloth". Is it a cloth or velour?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Here's my backseat:

Beige Esteem Cloth

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Thanks, what do they make velour out of?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
interesting, so velour and velvet are man made?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts