Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was a good Idea Cadillac put the flexible fabric in the wheel wells. But if any one has noticed snow and ice will stick to them to the point you have to knock it all out. After every snow storm I end up with new ground affects added to the car(snow build up). And if it freezes like today you have to get in there with a shovel head or something to get it out. If you don't every time you turn it will make a horrible rubbing noise like your wheels are to big.You will bottom out on small bumps in the road. I think it is worse with awd because it ends up in all 4 wheels. Not complaining at all I just didn't have this issue last year because we didn't have that much snow. Wondering if anyone in snow areas has this same problem?

·
Registered
'14 BMW 328xi
320 Posts
I had fabric in the wells of my Lexus, but I never noticed any more snow sticking in there than any other car I have had.

·
Registered
ATS_V _vector Blue Sedan
329 Posts
I guess there is pros and cons to the use of fabric.

Pro: It is a sound deadener
con: What you are experiencing. Sorry I don't have that down here in South Florida So I cant relate. :)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I wish I couldn't relate either. I am trying to get down there also. I can't deal with snow anymore.
I guess there is pros and cons to the use of fabric.

Pro: It is a sound deadener
con: What you are experiencing. Sorry I don't have that down here in South Florida So I cant relate. :)
----------

Yeah it sticks like glue on my car. I make sure I get it all out before driving so it doesn't mess anything up. No big deal just wanted to see if anyone else is dealing with it. This only happens in slush type snow and then freezes. Powder no big deal.
I had fabric in the wells of my Lexus, but I never noticed any more snow sticking in there than any other car I have had.

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
Snow and ice sticks to any surface. The fabric on the ATS fender liner isn't any different.

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
is it really sound deadening?! interesting to hear.
nyinstaller said:
I guess there is pros and cons to the use of fabric. Pro: It is a sound deadener con: What you are experiencing. Sorry I don't have that down here in South Florida So I cant relate. :)

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
^^^ no pun intended... :D

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T AWD
340 Posts
Snow and ice sticks to any surface. The fabric on the ATS fender liner isn't any different.
Not exactly true....snow and ice will not stick the same to a clean piece of plastic nearly as much as the almost carpet like fabric they put in these wheel wells. More grooves in the fabric makes it much easier for the snow to stick to it and hold on.

I noticed the same thing in mine last year, crazy amounts of snow build up in the wheel wells do to the carpet lining compared to any other car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh there is a big difference. No car I have had has done this like it has. So I know it is the cause. I see you live in Canada. You have not noticed this in your car? Or do you drive something else in the winter. If I have plastic and throw snow at it. It will slide off. If I throw snow at a fabric coat or something like that it will stick. And then throw more at the same place ans see if it builds up. It could stick to plastic but when it gets to heavy it slides off.
----------

Thank you. I know I am not that crazy. Pretty crazy but I still function. It sticks like glue to my wheel wells. No big deal though. Just something to talk about.
Not exactly true....snow and ice will not stick the same to a clean piece of plastic nearly as much as the almost carpet like fabric they put in these wheel wells. More grooves in the fabric makes it much easier for the snow to stick to it and hold on.

I noticed the same thing in mine last year, crazy amounts of snow build up in the wheel wells do to the carpet lining compared to any other car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 2013 SRX Premium
1,045 Posts
I thought it might be used for quieting down road noise from the tires. My son bought a new Camry and it to has the same material in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I drive my ATS in the winter, just like I have driven my previous two SRX's, (neither of which had fabric wheel well liners), and other cars. All get the same amount of snow in the wheel wells. I see the logic behind snow sticking to the fabric material, I'm just saying, when you drive in snow for six months of the year, its the type of snow you have that sticks in your wheels (usually the heavy wet snow). Not dependent on material. It sticks to the 3M'd vinyl surfaces of the bottom of my mudflaps, and rocker panels just the same as it does fabric in the wheel wells.

(don't have photo of ATS in winter yet...)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do understand and I see not much snow in those srx's wheel wells. I have much less gap between the wheels and wheel well. I have the awd as well so it's kicking up in there sticking with no where really to go. Our wet type snow we are getting sticks in there like crazy and freezes. All other cars I'm looking at at work have nothing like my car will. Chunks come off like bricks. I feel like I'm off roading when I take off to get over the boulders and bricks. That's after I'm chopping away at it.:want:
I drive my ATS in the winter, just like I have driven my previous two SRX's, (neither of which had fabric wheel well liners), and other cars. All get the same amount of snow in the wheel wells. I see the logic behind snow sticking to the fabric material, I'm just saying, when you drive in snow for six months of the year, its the type of snow you have that sticks in your wheels (usually the heavy wet snow). Not dependent on material. It sticks to the 3M'd vinyl surfaces of the bottom of my mudflaps, and rocker panels just the same as it does fabric in the wheel wells.

(don't have photo of ATS in winter yet...)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a pic I'll put up when I get the chance to show how much I had in my wheel well. That looks like powder type snow. You got it out in the snow? How's it drive in the snow? My car is a daily driver and you couldn't tell it was an ats until yesterday with all the snow and salt on the car. Salt this year has been crazy and storm after storm. I can say we have double that snow you have there this year. Sucks to be in the north this year. And your a lot farther north than us.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had an Audi about ten years ago with indoor/outdoor carpet wheel well liners, and while it's true that it would become an anchor for ice, it fell away pretty easily with a few kicks. I think people with mud flaps have a bigger problem with snow accumulation.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's my wheel well last week. 3am in the morning only time I could take the pic. And you can see the bottom rocker near front door has a huge hanging chunk

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Yea, when we get wet snow, every vehicle does that.

We've had a really odd year of almost no snow.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had many cars and not one of them was this bad. Plastic wheel wells have never don't this to me. It's cool it can't snow everyday.
Yea, when we get wet snow, every vehicle does that.

We've had a really odd year of almost no snow.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
as an FYI these wheel liners are not fabric they are in fact plastic but they are a new process sort of like cotton candy ......that said this new material is fabric like in that it seems to have given the snow something to hold onto......has anyone tried PAM or silicone spray lubricant to make the liners slippery to the snow

when i lived in minnesota i used to do this to the door seals so my doors would not freeze shut, worked great especially on the sunny days between snows when we would all get our cars washed to remove the salt.....freshly washed car would sometimes turn into overnight freeze and glued shut door in the morning, or if you had a freezing rain storm and the wind pushed the water into the gaps between the doors.....i've seen people rip their door handles off of rip their door seals trying to pull the doors open....liberal silicone lube sprayed on all my door seals and contact points worked awesome, so i wonder if it will work on the liners...maybe PAM too

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't think of that . Thanks that will work better. The felt type material makes it stick to my car. I will use a lubricant now you said that. And my Windows and locks freeze all the time in my jeep. Couple times the wndows and the door handle did on the ats but that was no big deal. Even my door lock mechanism on my jeep would fold over because of ice and door wouldn't shut. I had to use a screw driver to pry it back over. I just need to move to Florida or Cali.
as an FYI these wheel liners are not fabric they are in fact plastic but they are a new process sort of like cotton candy ......that said this new material is fabric like in that it seems to have given the snow something to hold onto......has anyone tried PAM or silicone spray lubricant to make the liners slippery to the snow

when i lived in minnesota i used to do this to the door seals so my doors would not freeze shut, worked great especially on the sunny days between snows when we would all get our cars washed to remove the salt.....freshly washed car would sometimes turn into overnight freeze and glued shut door in the morning, or if you had a freezing rain storm and the wind pushed the water into the gaps between the doors.....i've seen people rip their door handles off of rip their door seals trying to pull the doors open....liberal silicone lube sprayed on all my door seals and contact points worked awesome, so i wonder if it will work on the liners...maybe PAM too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts