Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering, since the 98-04 generation of Sevilles remains the same body style, if it was possible to replace my suspension with the F55 Magneride. Could I get some feedback?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Possible? Sure. Different modules, different major wiring harnesses, and of course, the dampers themselves. You'd have to tear a lot of your car, and a donor car apart, have an FSM for both, and a lot if time.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,268 Posts
if it was possible to replace my suspension with the F55 Magneride
with enough money - ANYTHING is POSSIBLE -

PRACTICAL - that's an entirely different question -

dozens of sensors - none of which are in your car -
all the wiring for all those sensors - also not in your car -
the computer modules - and their wiring -

you would be much better off selling your SLS and buy an STS -

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
ok guys i think if anyone is going to do this and put the cash out on this project and anyone is crazy enough to do this and dump this kind of money in
don't you think i should be first in line ?

lmao

·
19,268 Posts
ok guys i think if anyone is going to do this and put the cash out on this project and anyone is crazy enough to do this and dump this kind of money in
don't you think i should be first in line ?

lmao
------------------------
ACTUALLY - the first name that went through my mind was N*Caddy -

BUT now that you mention it - :hmm:
and you are going to do it yourself -:bonkers:

and have it done by Sunday afternoon - right? - :histeric:

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
:) is possible, but requires replacing the F45 module with the F55 one, at least all the connectors at both ends of the harnesses. Not sure if the height sensors are the same, and probably you need the EBTCM controller replaced too.
You will need to set active suspension installed in the IPC (for your year you need a TECHII, don't have the overrides anymore). Yeah is possible and very expensive comparing with selling the SLS and getting a F55 STS. But that's not what I would do.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
------------------------
ACTUALLY - the first name that went through my mind was N*Caddy -

BUT now that you mention it - :hmm:
and you are going to do it yourself -:bonkers:

and have it done by Sunday afternoon - right? - :histeric:
hell no i wouldn't do it myself i'd take it to the shop with all the parts from the donor vehicle and pay them to do it

ok let me rephrase

If someone on the board was going to pay to have it done it would be me

if someone on the board was going to do it themselves
it would be N-Caddy

·
19,268 Posts
:) is possible, but requires replacing the F45 module with the F55 one, at least all the connectors at both ends of the harnesses. Not sure if the height sensors are the same, and probably you need the EBTCM controller replaced too.
You will need to set active suspension installed in the IPC (for your year you need a TECHII, don't have the overrides anymore). Yeah is possible and very expensive comparing with selling the SLS and getting a F55 STS. But that's not what I would do.
------------------------------
is possible, but requires replacing the F45 module with the F55
yes - BUT - that's assuming he has the ACTIVE suspension -
the OP has a 2000 SLS - I'm thinking PASSIVE suspension -

so NOW how much more has to be done - :hmm:
if going from a PASSIVE suspension - to the F55 - :crowded:

I think that project would even slow YOU down - :sneaky:

·
Registered
02 Seville STS
314 Posts
I've also been considering the same swap for my 02 STS. If it's as straight forward as swapping over the sensors, harnesses, suspension components and programming the IPC then it should only be mildly challenging. I'm thinking with everything disassembled from the donor car it could be done in a weekend at a shop.

·
19,268 Posts
I've also been considering the same swap for my 02 STS. If it's as straight forward as swapping over the sensors, harnesses, suspension components and programming the IPC then it should only be mildly challenging. I'm thinking with everything disassembled from the donor car it could be done in a weekend at a shop.
----------------------------
I'm thinking with everything disassembled from the donor car
it could be done in a weekend at a shop.

a full weekend? -
NA -
you're NOT rebuilding the whole car -
you're only switching the shocks/struts - a couple wires - and a couple modules

it should only be mildly challenging
I agree - any high school kid with one year of Auto Shop -
should be able to handle it - NO PROBLEM -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Someone needs to sit down and read the late edition 2002.5 Helm/GM service manual and compare the cars and systems (F45/F55) before someone spends an awful lot of money and labor - and comes up empty with neither car in drivable condition.

Don't forget the necessary reprogram of the main PCM and the inputs to the EBTCM. You'll need the program for a F55 car. GM Tech-II work. Remember: The F45 uses MANY signals to vary the orifice duty cycle to control internal fluid flow - F55 uses many signals to vary electric current to control the magnetic field surrounding the viscous hydraulic fluid, thus changing fluid density - there are no moving orifices or internal valves. Two entirely different control principles.

The last F45 STS that rolled off the line on the afternoon of 01-11-02 was a VERY different car from the F55 STS that rolled off the line on the morning of 01-15-02.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Sub, there are software differences in the modules, I mean the whole hardware is different. But bottom line you have either 2 wires going to a solenoid, or 2 wires going to a coil. I mean that solenoid is a coil too (with some mechanics).
But yeah, is not something to be done over a weekend on a driveway (for the first time), is not just struts and modules, connectors, you have to re-pin all the connectors and such.
Overall the F45 and F55 are not so different is basically the same setup minus the business end, same amount of wires in the harness and so on, but there are many details to deal with, will require a person very skillful and dedicated, this is not adding a chrome stick on along the bottom of the headlamps.

·
19,268 Posts
Sub, there are software differences in the modules, I mean the whole hardware is different. But bottom line you have either 2 wires going to a solenoid, or 2 wires going to a coil. I mean that solenoid is a coil too (with some mechanics).
But yeah, is not something to be done over a weekend on a driveway (for the first time), is not just struts and modules, connectors, you have to re-pin all the connectors and such.
Overall the F45 and F55 are not so different is basically the same setup minus the business end, same amount of wires in the harness and so on, but there are many details to deal with, will require a person very skillful and dedicated, this is not adding a chrome stick on along the bottom of the headlamps.
------------------------
Vasi - I think you and Sub are overlooking a very important point -

the original poster has a 2000 SLS -
the vast majority of SLS models had the FE1 - PASSIVE suspension systems -

changing a F45 to a F55 is one thing -
changing a PASSIVE system to a F55 suspension is completely different -

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
MINOR DETAIL, you had to replace the modules anyway, in the SLS case you add the modules plus all the harnesses and the wheel height sensors (including rewire the ELC). Basically the SLS has blank spaces where the STS modules are. Even the fuse cluster is the same, just need to add the wires and the socket.

Either way is a challenge and definitely cheaper to get an STS instead of the SLS.

·
Administrator
68,441 Posts
OK.......... Many modules and sensors generate many signals that are multiplexed on the suspension data bus and sent as control voltage to the suspension system components. 2 wires is plenty for a coil or solenoid - the ESC modules for F45 and F55 (and their wiring and connectors) are radically different. ANY new ESC module must be programmed using a Tech-II. A quick look at the power/ground and sensor/switch wiring diagrams for the two systems shows significant differences in wiring, ratings, harnesses, connectors and fuses/relays.

This entire thread is moot - the obstacles to successful conversion are many - and it would be "cheaper" to simply find a good example of a F55 STS and go from there.

EDIT: ......... and there's the bugaboo of converting a whole passive suspension and wiring to active - the comparisons to F45 are of no consequence..........If the OP were to look at his RPO sticker to see what options (suspension) the car was built with, that would shed more light on the subject. And we've overlooked the FE1 vs FE3 spring packages.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
When Compnine showed how many vehicles on their database had the same option, there were 16,951 2000 SLS on the database and 16,431 of them had F45. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's SLS has F45. Mine has it. Haven't seen a 2000 SLS without F45 yet.

·
19,268 Posts
When Compnine showed how many vehicles on their database had the same option, there were 16,951 2000 SLS on the database and 16,431 of them had F45. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's SLS has F45. Mine has it. Haven't seen a 2000 SLS without F45 yet.
------------------------
WOW - if that is true - ALL 2000 SLS model Sevilles except 520 units -
had the same ACTIVE suspension as the STS?

I just checked the 2003 SLS -
there were 12,061 units made -
12,058 had the FE1 - soft suspension - 3 has the FE3 suspension -
12,058 had the standard 225/60R/16 tires - 3 had 235/60/ZR16

but no mention of F45 or F55 active suspension -

strange -

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
------------------------
WOW - if that is true - ALL 2000 SLS model Sevilles except 520 units -
had the same ACTIVE suspension as the STS?

I just checked the 2003 SLS -
there were 12,061 units made -
12,058 had the FE1 - soft suspension - 3 has the FE3 suspension -
12,058 had the standard 225/60R/16 tires - 3 had 235/60/ZR16

but no mention of F45 or F55 active suspension -

strange -
It must be a 98-00 thing - other years I look up usually don't have F45. But so far, all the 98-00's I've looked up had F45.

Just looked up a random 98 and 99 I found on cars.com, plugged in to the vin decoder, and both have F45. Compnine says there are 13,221 98 SLS on database and 11,514 of them have F45. For 99, 14,495 out of 15,371.

A random 2001, same test, no F45.

·
Administrator
68,441 Posts
Hard to find now, but the dealer order books had several RPO's that encompassed entire "packages" of trim and option levels. It's possible that one of those packages included either a F45 supply or delete option.

So few of these cars were ordered by the customer - most were 'floorplanned' by the sales staff to meet the perceived local sales attractiveness.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts