Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cars at dealer for various issues,I asked dealer to balance and rotate tires.2 of the F1's have less than 4000 miles on them,well 3 of my 4 tires won't road force balance under 20 wtf!My car has shook a little at 84 to 88 mph but it goes away.I have asked dealer to prorate remaining tread,we'll see what he says.I'm one of those guys who got 18,000 miles out of the stockers,I like the F1's but it's obvious 2 of these tires were bad out of the box.Anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
'06 300c SRT-8
429 Posts
rp64ctsv said:
Cars at dealer for various issues,I asked dealer to balance and rotate tires.2 of the F1's have less than 4000 miles on them,well 3 of my 4 tires won't road force balance under 20 wtf!My car has shook a little at 84 to 88 mph but it goes away.I have asked dealer to prorate remaining tread,we'll see what he says.I'm one of those guys who got 18,000 miles out of the stockers,I like the F1's but it's obvious 2 of these tires were bad out of the box.Anybody else have this issue?
My dealer said the same thing, so I took it to an independant tire shop. They re-mounted the tires and got all below 13. Perhaps they're like my dealer and are too lazy to do the remount like the hunter machine suggests.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure my dealer doesn't farm their tire repairs out.BTW, my wheels have no damage due to mounting tires.I hope they will warranty the tires if they can't get them balanced.They would have had to remount 1 tire due to replacing the tps.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Any tire that is out-of-round or has non-uniform elasticity around the circumference of the tire will vibrate no matter how well it is balanced. Out-of-round can be compensated for, to some degree, by mounting the tire in a different position on the rim (a quarter turn from the original position is recommended). The maximum effect is achieved by putting the high side of the tire opposite the high-side of the rim. But tire installers rarely go to this much trouble even if they know how to determine the high points. Another approach to out-of-round problems is to shave the tread and make the tire round again. This procedure wastes tread. Non-uniform elasticity cannot be corrected or compensated for - the tire must be replaced. Bottom line is that new tires frequently have these problems and should be replaced as soon as they become evident.

·
Registered
none
302 Posts
rp64ctsv said:
Anybody else have this issue?
Yes mine start at 70 and were terrible at 90 - I thought they might have been flat spotted since the car sat in dealer inv. for 300 days.

I asked dealer to evaluate and they said..."We can't go past the posted speed limit :banghead: ."

So a few weeks later I realized at 6500 miles that the alignment was off a bit and the tires were cupping on the edge. GM agreed to replace 2 tires under warranty since the Toe adjustment was out.

I hit up Goodyear on the 2 rears for lousy wear...they are pro-rating. I will see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2005 Light Platinum CTS-V
59 Posts
I had no problem with balance or alignment with my stock "run craps" but they only lasted 7000 miles so I called Goodyear Customer service and they gave me 75% off on a set of GS D3s so I got all 4 tires for $330 installed.

I then took them to my friends new shop "Speed Inn" in Hayward, CA who has all the latest Hunter Engineering equipment (some of which, nobody West of the Rockies has yet) he Road Force Balanced all 4 and they came out great, we also checked the alignment and it was still dead on! He will also become a Supporting Vendor very soon with the possibility of selling Tires, Wheels, new sway bars for our CTS's and V's and maybe other components.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well got the call,no warranty on tires,what a surprise.Will go to non runflats this go round.My tires have good enough tread to last a few thousand miles just need to keep her under 150.Big Jim share your thoughts on what tire to go to.2 of these run flats still have 5/32's,I'll run them on the rear and make short work of them.Goodyear-Blow Me

·
Registered
none
302 Posts
rp64ctsv said:
Well got the call,no warranty on tires,what a surprise.Will go to non runflats this go round.My tires have good enough tread to last a few thousand miles just need to keep her under 150.Big Jim share your thoughts on what tire to go to.2 of these run flats still have 5/32's,I'll run them on the rear and make short work of them.Goodyear-Blow Me
Try calling Goodyear directly, not going through the dealer. The dealer will be NO HELP on this.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll get more satisfaction Urbyizing these run craps.25,000 miles and 2nd set of tires I can't bitch too much or at all compared to others in here.But still-Goodyear-blow me

·
Registered
57 Posts
At the risk of resurrecting a burnt-over subject, what IS the highest quality tire FOR DAILY DRIVING that, balances and has no out-of-round or inconsistent elasticity?
Am I asking for the unknown?

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
thebigjimsho said:
My next attempt at a Max-Performance tire will be the RFT Bridgestone RE050A.
FYI BigJim... now that it's started raining in CA I've got some wet miles on my RE050A's. They are quite decent for a max-perf tire. Cornering, lane changes, traction under hard braking are all very good (assuming you're not deliberately tryin' to do bad things). You know the torque we have is like the hand of God, so in first gear ease into the throttle. Other than that.. pretty dang good I'd say.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Great to hear. And they come in both 245/45 18 AND 275/40 18. If you know what I'm sayin'.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think i'm going to try the falken rt615 in the 255 I think this go round.I liked the runflats but I have to admit I was easy on them due to the price.The Bridgestones i'm sure are a better tire, but I think i'm gonna play rough with these at under 700 a set.Thanks guys(but really-goodyear blow me)

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
124 Posts
I just got my new set a tires 2 weeks ago. I only had 12100 miles on it. I paid $1500.00 for them. That's the last time I going with the f1s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts