Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a borrowed F-150 Supercrew (nicknamed "SCrew" by enthusiasts) while mine is in the shop getting an oil change, tires rotated, and a squeaky window fixed. Nothing major, just routine stuff.

The general mgr. at the Ford dealership has become a good friend of mine, and we went to lunch today. (Actually, it was a ruse to get him to a meeting where he was presented a community service award.) I left my truck at his place and when we got back they hadn't started working on it yet. He felt bad and said "here, take mine!"

DAMN this truck is nice. He's about 6-4, 210, and I could tell he looked comfortable driving it. There's more legroom and width than in my Expedition. This is apparently the same thing they're going to make the new Expeditions out of. They'll also add a LWB version of the Expedition in 2007.

The interior is very close to the current Navigator, which I loved when I drove it. But still, I couldn't justify the extra $11,000 between a Navigator and an Expy. Can't justify it for an Escalade, either.

The one thing I don't like is the big step up. The running boards are just those bars with rubber treads. It's a long way down. But driving it, you can definitely feel the longer wheel base.

Here's an ebay pic of a similar one:

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
The F-150 is not bad at all.:cool2: Number one truck in America for a reason;)

Although, I prefer the Silverado...but, they need to redesign it, because the current design is from what? 1999? It's getting obsolete...

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ben72227 said:
The F-150 is not bad at all.:cool2: Number one truck in America for a reason;)

Although, I prefer the Silverado...but, they need to redesign it, because the current design is from what? 1999? It's getting obsolete...
I think they have redesigned it for 2007 to be more like the new Escalade/Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban. I'd say that the contest between the F-150 and the Silverado/Sierra? will shift to favor GM for a while. American trucks aren't at all like they used to be.

It's obvious that despite all the complaints about gas prices, Ford sees a market for a LWB SUV like the Suburban and Yukon XL. They phased out the Excursion but they still want to provide something to compete with GM.

I just returned the F-150, and drove the Expedition back on the same road. The Expedition rides a lot better, but the F-150 was a 4x4 so maybe it's not a fair comparison. The back seat in the F-150 isn't as soft as the Expedition, but it is as roomy.

Considering that the F-150 runs about $7500-$10,000 less than the Expedition, if I had a reliable luxury car in the garage I'd consider an F-150 over an SUV. It's that nice inside for the driver and one passenger.

I NEVER thought I'd consider owning a pick-up truck as my primary transportation, but I can see it as a possibility now.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
It is wrong to complain about a truck being too high up, or too much of a step :)

its a truck, they are made like that... I don't want to be able to slip into a truck, I wanna climb up into the cab :)

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
I'd never have a pick-up as primary transportation.

The recirculating ball steering in my Eldo is right for the car, but I couldn't see getting another car with it, and most trucks (I haven't driven any newer trucks, except for my grandfathers '99 4x4 Silverado; maybe they've changed since then???) just have braking and steering that's not for me...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Night Wolf said:
It is wrong to complain about a truck being too high up, or too much of a step :)
its a truck, they are made like that... I don't want to be able to slip into a truck, I wanna climb up into the cab :)
You're right!

What was I thinking? :bang2:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Ford's trucks are the best for their segment...atleast the F-Series, I cant say the same about the Ranger

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
Ford's trucks are the best for their segment...atleast the F-Series, I cant say the same about the Ranger
That Ranger is older than Methuselah... Think about it, THREE entire models based off its original underpinnings or directly upon it have come and gone in the time its been around... The Mazda B Series, the Ford Bronco II and the Ford Explorer.

Ford has really dropped the ball on it for some reason, even the S10/Sonoma and Dakota have been through three generations in the time the Ranger has existed!! THE S10 FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD!

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
The Ranger dates back to the Bronco II which came out in like 1982??

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The Ranger has no connection to the original except it's name and a 4.0 loosely based on the old 2.8-2.9. My son in law had a 2000, it was a 4wd, 4.0 with 5 speed automatic, ext cab. For a Ford it was powerful just cheap interior appointments and noisy as well as hard on fuel. He got smart and bought a new GMC Sierra 4x4 last year.;)

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Randy_W said:
The Ranger has no connection to the original except it's name and a 4.0 loosely based on the old 2.8-2.9. My son in law had a 2000, it was a 4wd, 4.0 with 5 speed automatic, ext cab. For a Ford it was powerful just cheap interior appointments and noisy as well as hard on fuel. He got smart and bought a new GMC Sierra 4x4 last year.;)
I have to disagree with you, not on the drivetrain, but the chassis itself. It is identical to the original. You only have to check the roofline to see it. They can do all they want to the front and rear ends, but the underpinnings, frame and especially the boxy roof are all DNA from the 1982 model. This is the same as when Jeep updated the Cherokee in 1997. Same truck, just rounded off the front and rear ends.

Heres a bite from Edmunds:

After years of serving as a trim designation on the F-Series pickup, the Ranger became a separate model when Ford replaced the Mazda-supplied Courier pickup with an in-house design in 1983. The Ranger quickly became the best-selling compact pickup and has dominated the segment ever since. Today's model still rides on the same basic platform and structure as that 1983 original, though substantial revisions for 1989, 1993 and 1998 have kept the Ranger competitive...

...the Ranger's 20-year-old design just doesn't cut it anymore. Unless you're a die-hard Ford fan, we would recommend shopping the competition first

Yikes! The Ranger is almost as old as I am!!

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
The thing about ranger (which has 2 generations) is that its cost and popularity go hand in hand , keeping it around and tossing new gills on it every 2 years keeps cost down and college students along with small busineses buying them ....anyone see what there asking for colorados these days ?? ACK!!! while rangers can still be had for right arond 10 grand (pre haggle)

Its hard to tell it but there is a second gen ranger , which is kinda a technicaility , its like comapreing last years impala to this years you dig deep enough int he right spots youll find the old stuff ...

I think Ranger lost the tiwn i beam at the same time exporer did when it gained the 5.0 (to bad ranger never did) so really there could be a gen 1 and 2 along with a gen 2.5

still a ford tho , after years working on ford trucks ive leanred to hate them ...

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Does the same chassis mean same wheelbase? The wheelbases arent the same from 1983-2000. The 1983 had either a 107.9" or 113.9" wheelbase and the 2000 model has a 111.5", 111.6" or 117.5, 117.6", 125.7" or lastly the 125.9" wheelbase

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
The thing about ranger (which has 2 generations) is that its cost and popularity go hand in hand , keeping it around and tossing new gills on it every 2 years keeps cost down
Just like the 92-96 Cutlass Ciera/Century :)
and the 77-92 Broughams

1 - 20 of 71 Posts