Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
V-Less
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bringing in the car for service and like to be pr prepared with some possible solutions so I don't get the run-around.
Getting into 1st is really tough, usually have to hit 3rd first them comeback, 2nd is bad but not as bad as 1st. Thought is was cold weather related but know that things have warmed up the issue remains.
Car has roughly 8k on it and I think the trans fluid was changed when I had them do the oil a month ago.
Thanks in advance for any info.

E

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Something is wrong with your trans. Going into first should be no problem. Make them replace it. If not go to another dealership

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
Ditto, it should be smooth as butter.

Jud

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
Check the level of oil in your hydraulic clutch reservoir under the hood.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
105 Posts
I had the same issues. I forgot what they said was the issue was but the entire shift assembly was replaced. Of note, some of the parts were on back order so it did some time.

·
Registered
V-Less
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah my reverse is also tough to get into.
Will report back with details from the dealer.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
Something is definitely wrong with your shifter. Mine shifts like butter, and always has. Reverse works well, but the car must be absolutely stationary, or the lockout prevents the shift. Mine never grinds, though. 16,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
Sounds like you have a linkage problem.

Jud

·
Registered
2011 V-Coupe (600+rwhp) ; Black Raven, Manual, Recaros
651 Posts
my 1 and 2 are fine but R has become grindsome after 20k :(
I sometimes have a problem going into 2nd from 1st and I don't know what it is. Sometimes it's fine and other times I have to fiddle with it and then it goes into 2nd. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
Could be the skip shift. It almost never occurs for me, but when it does, it feels so weird I usually re-clutch and reshift. It feels like something is wrong, when in reality it's just making you shift to fourth to save gas. This feature is much more intrusive in other GM products, from what I understand.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
539 Posts
Bringing in the car for service and like to be pr prepared with some possible solutions so I don't get the run-around.
Getting into 1st is really tough, usually have to hit 3rd first them comeback, 2nd is bad but not as bad as 1st. Thought is was cold weather related but know that things have warmed up the issue remains.
Car has roughly 8k on it and I think the trans fluid was changed when I had them do the oil a month ago.
Thanks in advance for any info.
OP, are you saying that, at a stoplight, you need to engage 3rd and then go to first, as you are "locked out" of first? Are you sure the clutch is fully disengaging? As in maybe it is just touching and causing the issue. The car would creep forward if this was the case. I've had cars misadjusted in the past and it was a bitch to get them into gear at a light.

Get the car in first, and then sit there with clutch pushed in. If the car is creeping forward, it's a clutch issue. It might also smell like clutch.

Reverse having an issue engaging is common with a lot of cars. I usually go 3rd to R just to make sure. Straight from N into R can be an issue for a lot of trannys....

It's possible the synchros aren't doing their job. If it's tough going from 3rd to 2nd on the move, that could be synchros. If the revs are exactly matched, is that when it snicks in?

It's either the linkage or the clutch. I would put synchros and other tranny internals at a distant 3rd, as these units are pretty tough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts