Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering what you guys think about them.... I hear they are a really easy way to extend tranny life, because the main killer of trannys is heat, not wear (unless you powershift from neutral!! :D )... For $50, they seems like a reasonable investment....

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
Every vehicle I've owned (except one - didn't care too much about that car) has had an external trans cooler, either factory or added by myself. I've never had a trans go south on me. I also am pretty good about regular fluid & filter changes.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Not only that, there pretty simple to install, unlike oil coolers which usually require some sort of adapter to be installed where the oil filter is. The trans lines are already run to the radiator, making plumbing alot easier

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes... Im just wondering.....

Im gonna add one in the spring..... I have a great spot to put mine.... For the active suspension models (Q45a) there is a spot right in front of the driver side wheel well, and it gets high speed air coming in from the front air dam....

I have thought about getting one with thermostatically controlled fans.....

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
If you have a spot available with good airflow, the fans are overkill. Unless you plan to start towing 7000 pound trailers...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it gets good airflow from BOTH sides....

Most Q owners put theres in between the radiator and condensor (mechanical fan keeps air moving).... But I dont like that place.....

I plan on getting the biggest one I can find to fit the space (11"x12" or so)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
yeah, IMO tranny coolers should be placed on every car.... we put them on the '89 Brougham, my DeVille came with one from the factory.... I say go for it... really, they are worth it....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well technically there ARE tranny coolers on every car... They are just integrated in the radiator called heat exchangers.... About all their good for is keeping the ATF warm in the winter.....

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
My 1991 Fleetwood has one from the factory also. It's not the tranny line into the rad, it is a little mini rad that is mounted in front of the radiator. I'm amazed that my Grand Marquis of the same year did not come with one, but I guess you get one when you spend 55,000 cdn on a car.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes... The fleetwoods come with one also..... Thing is, id like to be able to put it there, but there isnt any room.....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The synapses are the gaps in between the dendries, which actually do the firing...... Sorry.... :D

Just click the reply button (the button at the far right) on the message you want to reply to, and then click quote message in reply under the quick reply box......

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Isn't it the Neuron that fires through the Axon that is coated with the myelin sheath, to the next dentrite? :yawn: I'm just too smart for my own good. :bighead:

For Ralph and Wes's next AMAZING discussion, it will relate to the subject of doornobs and there many, many functions. :rolleyes: :yawn:

·
Registered
39 Posts
elwesso said:
The synapses are the gaps in between the dendries, which actually do the firing...... Sorry.... :D

Just click the reply button (the button at the far right) on the message you want to reply to, and then click quote message in reply under the quick reply box......
Try installing some double platnium, then your dendries might fire better for longer. The human ignition system is very finickey :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah tranny coolers are an excellent investment. us 4t-60 E guys knwo all to damn well that these tranny's dont liek heat at all. I had to get mine rebuilt at 69K i was pretty pissed.

and as for the neuron discussion, try some NGK plugs, and go one level colder on them, that should help, and ya knwo an occasional shot of juice wouldnt hurt either. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to get a External Tranny Cooler. How much should one cost for somebody else to install one on my 2003 CTS? How many different types/modles are there that will work/fit. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Basically the best way to get one is to figure out what dimensions you need, then goto an autoparts store (advance, autozone, napa, etc) and tell them what size you need..... Probably around $50-$80 depending on what you get.....

To get it installed it would probably cost about an hours worth of labor, depending on where you have it put.... There are many different places you can put them, the best being somewhere where it can get a lot of airflow (IE right behind the grille, hooked onto the radiator......

Personally, i would wait until your warranty is up to get a tranny cooler for your CTS...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts