Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Cadillac offer any kind of extended warranty? My warranty is almost up on my 2000 DTS. Does anyone know if exteded is offered and around how much? And if it would be a good idea? I know Cadillacs (as nice as they are! ) arent the most relaible cars on the road...and especially with all the computer gizmos it always has to go to the dealer for repair. So please let me know...thanks!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you call the dealer they will most likely offer you one - because they make alot of money on them...The price of the contract increases with # miles on your car.

Be careful - read fine print very carefully - not all extended warranties are bumper to bumper - most are very limited to drive train components...

I am not a big believer in extended warranties. I have been lucky with Caddy's I've owned - very few problems....

If you are concerned about future costs, may I suggest you bank the $$ that an extended warranty would cost, if your car never breaks, you can take a vacation to some place warm in mid-winter...

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
We got the gm ext warrenty when we bought our 99 sts from the dealer
It is bumper to bumper for the caddy
the car had 90000 km on it the cost was $1800.00 cdn for 2 year 40000 km with $100 dec
The CD play is getting replaced and had no problems at the dealer

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Bought a GMPP warranty for my Caddy.3yr/36000 for $2500 with $100 deductable. There's already been $6000 worth of repairs in the first 6 months. Yep, worth it.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
gman2153 said:
If you call the dealer they will most likely offer you one - because they make alot of money on them...The price of the contract increases with # miles on your car.

Be careful - read fine print very carefully - not all extended warranties are bumper to bumper - most are very limited to drive train components...

I am not a big believer in extended warranties. I have been lucky with Caddy's I've owned - very few problems....

If you are concerned about future costs, may I suggest you bank the $$ that an extended warranty would cost, if your car never breaks, you can take a vacation to some place warm in mid-winter...

Good luck.
I disagree..... I WOULDNT own a northstar cadillac without a warranty.........

Extended warranties are golden..... Even if nothing FAILS, a good dealer, who deals with a good warranty company, will almost ALWAYS find something to replace.........

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
who knows where we can find out what the margins are for the factory GM warranty. I know the dealers will 'deal' to some degree on these warranties so we need to know what it costs them as there is obviously something in the sale of it for them?:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
First thing, I would NEVER recommend a Non-Mfg. warranty. My mom bought one from a company called Warranty Gold out of Texas. I did research till the cows came home... BBB, State Attorney General, etc. paid $1500 for the best bumper to bumper warranty they sold. One year later with no claims made, the company that Warranty Gold used to insure the claims went Bankrupt and we got what the eagle left on the rock ! The crappy thing is that Warranty Gold is STILL SELLING extended warranties, just using a different insurer now.

If I were you, I would ONLY ONLY ONLY buy a GM plan. GM dealers will sell one to you and the price of the contract is not set in stone.. so if you can find a friend, relative or someone on the inside of a GM dealership, you could get a good deal!

Scott

PS: Here is a quote from another thread that might help you

CBOYLE said:
New and better GMPP went into effect October of 2003.
The TIME and mileage begin from the time you purchase the WARRANTY Not the date car went into sercice.
BEST TO WAIT UNTIL YOUR BUMPER TO BUMPER IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE!
You get 4 years 50k on a new cadillac NOW you can add 7 years 100k.
therefore you can get total of 11 years 150k TRANSFERABLE IF YOU SELL CAR.
I did some research on line and got best price on line from BUBBA CADILLAC in Jennings Louisiana.

good luck
Charlie

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have some questions re: extended warranty, maybe someone can help!

Considering purchasing 2004 SRX, which includes 4 yr factory warranty (bumper to bumper, reg. maintenance, oil & filter changes, brakes & pads). Our dealer here tells us we can only purchase a 6 yr extended warranty, which basically is really only 2 years of extended warranty (after the 4 given by Cadillac).

As we tend to keep our cars for 7+ years, we feel we need at least 7-8 yr warranty. Is such a thing available from the GMPP? Can't find any info on the GM Canada website. And as per our dealer here in Montreal, he says only 6 yr total warranty available. If we did purchase this warranty at time of buying new SRX, wouldn't we be really just wasting the first 4 yrs as all would be covered by the Cadillac factory warranty? One of the threads noted that you can purchase 7 yr extended warranty and this would effectively add up to total 11 yrs coverage on yr Cadillac. My spouse does not believe this to be true.

How much more expensive is it to buy extended warranty say in the third year ownership of the car?

I'm somewhat confused and hope someone more knowledgable can help me out!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the link to GMPP, already checked it out. This offer, I believe is only good in the USA. In Canada, the max you could buy is 6 yrs and warranty starts on date vehicle put into service (as per our local dealer & GM Canada site). Have inquired with dealer if possible to buy extended warranty elsewhere (not GM), told us not available.

My husband is concerned that after 6 yr warranty is up, the car will cost a fortune to repair (as he expects everything to go wrong, being an American car).

Should this warranty issue keep us from buying the SRX??????

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts & comments.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I used 1sourceautowarranty on my LHS. I bought the 10yr/100K mile plan with bumber to bumber coverage and $0 deductible for $1,250. It has paid for itself twice already and I have never had ANY hassles with claims. I've had speed sensors, door locks, rims, stereo speakers, seat heaters, and body control modules replaced. All by 1source, $0 out of pocket and full rental car coverage and towing where applicable. The best part is mine is transferrable with the car for a $20 fee. Beat that!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I need to know how to post something here!
hardcorecaddy said:
who knows where we can find out what the margins are for the factory GM warranty. I know the dealers will 'deal' to some degree on these warranties so we need to know what it costs them as there is obviously something in the sale of it for them?:confused:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Got a 2 year 24,000 mile GMPP when I bought the car at the dealership two weeks ago. Bumper to bumper, 100 dollar deductible, car had 54K miles at purchase.

So far, no problems :hide: :D

·
Registered
2016 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum
137 Posts
would not buy anything but gmpp from a dealer. i got burnt for $2000.00 from warranty gold going out of business, incorporated in camon islands.
you can get a gm warranty on line. try bubba cadillac in jennings la. best price no sales tax.1-800-738-2215.
good luck
charlie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts