Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 cts-v wagon
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should .V owners purchase ext. Warr. At purchase time or wait and see in lite of 4year bumper to bbumper and how much will it cost if you wait?

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
Never buy the warranty when you buy it. It's the most marked up and profit making purchase the dealer can sell you.

If you decide you want it, shop around and buy it after the fact.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
I thought we had a 5-year/60K anyway? Didn't GM start this a few years ago on all cars?

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
Never buy the warranty when you buy it. It's the most marked up and profit making purchase the dealer can sell you.

If you decide you want it, shop around and buy it after the fact.
I've had some success in the past negotiating with the F&I manager on the price of an extended warranty at the time of purchase. It's like any other option. As you say, the profit margin is high enough that there could very well be "wiggle room".
I was eligible for employee pricing when I got the car and the extended warranty as well... and yes, there is an opportunity to delay the purchase of an extended warranty, but I could see that by doing that, it was likely that the price would have gone up while I was waiting.
I've heard a few horror stories about 3rd party, after market warranties, so I decided to with a 2 yr. GMPP plan. I can choose to extend the term of the GMPP extended warranty by 1 more year, as long as I do it before the extended warranty expires.

Of course, the idea of an extended warranty could be moot if the decision is made to mod the car...

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto
455 Posts
The difference between the extended MANUFACTURERS warranty and any other is a headache. With a MFG bumper-to-bumper warranty, you get anything that's not a wear and tear item fixed if it's defective. With the other warranty you "shop around for" you have limitations to what's covered. My GMS discount also applied to the MFG warranty so I bought it. The controller for the shocks on this car itself is expensive, let alone anything else that may fail. When my car has 90k miles and one of the motor's in the Recaro's takes a crap, it's covered, no deductible. There are different tiers of coverage you can buy that will fit your budget, you can definitely negotiate the price as well after you decide which one you want. I would stay away from secondary warranties, they don't cover much. I found out the hard way from my first new car purchase years ago. If you don't plan on keeping the car for long (less than 3 years), stick with what you get, don't buy anything extra.

·
Registered
2011 V-Coupe (600+rwhp) ; Black Raven, Manual, Recaros
651 Posts
Should .V owners purchase ext. Warr. At purchase time or wait and see in lite of 4year bumper to bbumper and how much will it cost if you wait?
Some might decide to mod their car later so getting the ext warranty might be a waste of money. I already did some mods (cam, pulley etc..) so my warranty is pretty much toast at the moment.

·
Registered
2010 white diamond sedan, 6MT,all options. 641 RWHP/592 RWTQ
354 Posts
You can purchase it when you buy the car, if you dont and decide you want it later it will almost certainly cost you more. Plus if you purchase it with the car and change your mind 6 months down the road you can cancell it and get a refund of almost full purcahse price. Thats what I did with my denali, got a nice cheque for $2200.00 that came in handy when buying the V.

G

·
You can purchase it when you buy the car, if you dont and decide you want it later it will almost certainly cost you more. Plus if you purchase it with the car and change your mind 6 months down the road you can cancell it and get a refund of almost full purcahse price. Thats what I did with my denali, got a nice cheque for $2200.00 that came in handy when buying the V.

You only get a check in hand if the vehicle is paid off or you paid cash for the extended warranty. If you finance it with the deal then any funds left from cancellation go to the finance company and applied towards principal.

·
Registered
2010 white diamond sedan, 6MT,all options. 641 RWHP/592 RWTQ
354 Posts
You only get a check in hand if the vehicle is paid off or you paid cash for the extended warranty. If you finance it with the deal then any funds left from cancellation go to the finance company and applied towards principal.
Huh, was not aware of that. The way it was explained to me was you can cancel it anytime and get a refund that I thought was cash. Guess they try to make it sound better when trying to make a sale. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts