Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium AWD
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read plenty of extended warranty posts on the forum over the year, but now it is my turn to decide. 34.5K miles and warranty expires 10/11/15.

I am about to hit 36K which will raise my rates, but if I do buy I will be wasting the last 7 months on my factory warranty(somewhat). As a previous Jaguar owner who had a header cracked ($4,600 repair) I feel an extended warranty may be for me. However, I have been hearing from other GM owners that Cadillac's are solid cars and I will likely not have major issues until after 100K. As an owner of a 2012 I have watched but not seen any post about chronic issues with model years 2010 and up. My main worry is the AWD system, but I wonder if that possible repair will even pass the 1.5K mark. Have any 2010 and up owners here had repairs over $1k?

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
My dad has an '09 3.6 DI AWD with about 70k miles. He passed on the warranty. So far so good. No service issues. Just regular maintenance.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
I have read plenty of extended warranty posts on the forum over the year, but now it is my turn to decide. 34.5K miles and warranty expires 10/11/15.

I am about to hit 36K which will raise my rates, but if I do buy I will be wasting the last 7 months on my factory warranty(somewhat). As a previous Jaguar owner who had a header cracked ($4,600 repair) I feel an extended warranty may be for me. However, I have been hearing from other GM owners that Cadillac's are solid cars and I will likely not have major issues until after 100K. As an owner of a 2012 I have watched but not seen any post about chronic issues with model years 2010 and up. My main worry is the AWD system, but I wonder if that possible repair will even pass the 1.5K mark. Have any 2010 and up owners here had repairs over $1k?
You mean the extended warranty rate will increase once you hit 36k miles?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,161 Posts
Rear wheel drive here, 80,000 miles and I have paid $500 for an emergency throttle body replacement by the dealer. (I had to go on a business trip that very day it acted up).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean the extended warranty rate will increase once you hit 36k miles?
Yes the rate increases in increments and 36K miles is one of them. At least the GM backed warranty's do.

·
Registered
2012 CTS
6 Posts
I am on the same boat as you, I have 2012 CTS 3.6 with 27 K miles.., my warranty is over in November..not sure if its worth the 1850 for extra extended warranty. ( 48 months)

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Yes the rate increases in increments and 36K miles is one of them. At least the GM backed warranty's do.
So you are saying for example, if I get a quote for GMPP extended warranty at 35k miles for $2000, I then decide not to purchase until its 37k miles, the amount would be more than $2000?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear wheel drive here, 80,000 miles and I have paid $500 for an emergency throttle body replacement by the dealer. (I had to go on a business trip that very day it acted up).
I can manage $500, not too bad. You holding on to the 3.6? Running dual wagons?

----------

So you are saying for example, if I get a quote for GMPP extended warranty at 35k miles for $2000, I then decide not to purchase until its 37k miles, the amount would be more than $2000?
Yes, that is my understanding. I could be wrong, but that is what I have seen on this forum.

·
Registered
2012 CTS
6 Posts
yes that is true..after you go over certain mileage the rates go up because its more risk for them.
I am leaning towards passing on the Extended warranty.
I will have to spend close to $2,000 and it will cover me up to about 65,000 miles.
I feel like if i have any problems, it will be small parts and pieces that wont be covered by " GM MAJOR GUARD".
GM Major guard is pretty close to the factory bumper to bumper warranty but they still do not cover some items.
I also feel like caddys will start to have big problems after 85k

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,161 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by tinman:

Dave295:
I can manage $500, not too bad. You holding on to the 3.6? Running dual wagons?

Yep, dual Wagons with Dual Exhausts! One is my Daily Driver, the other is my Fun Machine. Once my wife gets a new car (she is stalling) I will sell one or the other (hers being a '07 Audi A6 in great shape w/90,000 miles)

·
Registered
Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium
333 Posts
I have an '08 3.6 RWD with about 65k originally sold in February 2008 (I purchased used in September 2011). I purchased a GM Major Guard extended warranty that extended through February 2015. I had the option to extend it again, but decided not to. I honestly forgot how much I paid for the extended warranty.

The only warranty claims I had when I was fully covered were small things (actually just rattles). I had two claims under the extended -- one for a thermostat that went bad, and one to replace the plastic seat bottom which had cracked somehow and was making noise (it was a stretch to get it covered under extended but figured I'd give it a shot since my deductible was only $50).

The thermostat wasn't really a big deal, and overall this generation seems pretty reliable so I'm not too worried about having no coverage (knock on wood). The only concern would be the timing chain triggering a CEL, but that is covered under special warranty for 10 years / 100k miles. I will likely be onto the next car by then (CT6 perhaps??), so not worried about that. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I may try my luck. I am surprised with the reliability on the 08 Breaakingthrough. Altogether these cars seem to be well built mechanically, I have heard 0 engine issues (3.6) here and maybe one transmission re-build over the last year.

·
Registered
2012 CTS
6 Posts
Yes I believe the 3.6 Engines are built a lot stronger, I am also running premium on mine. I am going to pass up on the extended warranty as well.

·
Registered
14,161 Posts
epark22, lots has been discussed on the virtues, or lack thereof, of using premium over 87 octane. Almost all agree that premium is a waste of money. Suum cuique.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,338 Posts
Suum cuique.
Press 1 for English......
Like I have time to search for what suum cuique means. You want to get all uppidy and "nose in the air" on the rest of us commoners...well, to each his own I guess. :suspect:

·
Registered
2008 SRX V8AWD- 2012 CTS AWD Wagon-'17 CT6 3.0TT
149 Posts
I think it is a lot cheaper to repair stuff as it comes. No extended warranty for me.

·
Registered
14,161 Posts
I have to chuckle, typhoon. HurstGN has been on this forum since, well,damn, he invented this forum before Al Gore invented the internet! Reread the post just before yours, lol. Nonetheless, I appreciate the response and my chance to smile.

·
Registered
2011 CTS coupe
6 Posts
2011 CTSCoupe 37,000 just had wheel hub sensor rear go bad $600.00 at dealer not covered. I'm Trying to get Cadillac to stand up. Hoping the other hubs are far behind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts