Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade EXT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Chinese replica wheels any good at all? My wife needs at least one wheel as it leaks down a couple of times per week.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Re: Cadillac Escalade EXT 22" 7 spoke wheels

Are the Chinese replica wheels any good at all? My wife needs at least one wheel as it leaks down a couple of times per week.
I have no experience with the replicas however, on our previous vehicles with several sets of chrome rims, when one goes, the rest are soon to follow.

Replace all four now, your wife is going to be very pissed as time wears on and she is forced to keep inflating tires. You can ask my husband, with my previous car I was less than impressed when I had to fill tires with air daily!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts

I put a set of IROC replica wheels on a Camaro back in '06 and they're holding up well. My only complaint is the chrome plating could have been a little thicker, after several polishings over the years the chrome has a very slight brassy look at certain angles.

·
Registered
171 Posts

I have same problem one wheel leaks about 3 psi per week. I don't want to replace all.
I called the wheel repair shop, soon as I told a problem guy replied corrosion 150 bucks to repair.
Well for 250 bucks I can buy this wheel from ebay . http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Escalade-2007-2014-22x9-Brand-New-Chrome-Replacement-Replica-Wheel-5309-/181701610796?hash=item2a4e428d2c&vxp=mtr

what do you think, experience ? Most time they can really do anything bad with the wheel since most wheels are produced in china any way . Only worries me it's balance and metal straight.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade AWD Premium, 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe
164 Posts

I have same problem one wheel leaks about 3 psi per week. I don't want to replace all.
I called the wheel repair shop, soon as I told a problem guy replied corrosion 150 bucks to repair.
Well for 250 bucks I can buy this wheel from ebay . http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Escalade-2007-2014-22x9-Brand-New-Chrome-Replacement-Replica-Wheel-5309-/181701610796?hash=item2a4e428d2c&vxp=mtr

what do you think, experience ? Most time they can really do anything bad with the wheel since most wheels are produced in china any way . Only worries me it's balance and metal straight.
I've replaced pretty much all of my wheels over the past year and a half due to various issues (mostly my fault). One of them being the leak like you've described. I did replace them with OEM replicas (look exactly the same; not sure if they're from China or not but did buy them off eBay) and haven't had any issues with them; they balance fine (might be worth looking into a road force balance) and are straight. Where are you located and how does your wife drive? I tend to drive harder than the average driver and am here in the mid-atlantic, so potholes galore. They're still holding up pretty well. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
171 Posts

DC metro area, but ,more Eastern VA. We have potholes as well. I might going to try for replica.

I've replaced pretty much all of my wheels over the past year and a half due to various issues (mostly my fault). One of them being the leak like you've described. I did replace them with OEM replicas (look exactly the same; not sure if they're from China or not but did buy them off eBay) and haven't had any issues with them; they balance fine (might be worth looking into a road force balance) and are straight. Where are you located and how does your wife drive? I tend to drive harder than the average driver and am here in the mid-atlantic, so potholes galore. They're still holding up pretty well. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
Escalade EXT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the replies. I live in Maine. I will try one wheel first. My wife makes me put the air in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, I went to local tire shop explained situation, the guy over counter told me right the way, Lade and PT cruiser are common guest here for same problem. So they polished and removed corrosion inside the wheel.
So I will monitor and update later. really he said all chrome wheel have same problem eventually. They have seen on may after market wheels as well.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
We learned from replacing the wheels twice on my husbands previous truck (07 Yukon Denali XL) that the road salt used in the winter corrodes the chrome rims very quickly.

The first set lasted about 4 years, then over the following year we made several visits to a very reputable tire shop to have them remove as much corrosion as possible and reinstall the tires. Once they got to the point when there was no more that could be done with the original rims, my husband opted for another set of Chrome (non GM) rims against the advice of the tire shop. The technician told us that the manufacturers of Chrome rims have been forced to change the materials they use because of environmental concerns and the chrome simply won't last as long anymore. The second set lasted a year just as we were told even though my husband had a car wash seasons pass from Petro Canada and washed his truck daily.

The last set were black painted and gorgeous, my husband constantly got compliments on them.

My husband also had issues with the chrome flaking off the wheels within a couple years after buying the Denali unfortunately he drives a lot and it was out of warranty by that time. I seem to recall the flaking being an issue with the 07's; hopefully the wheels on both of our Esky's will last longer, it's gonna be expensive to replace them!

So, if you live in an area where there is a lot of road salt used, stay away from chrome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What wheel did he buy (black painted)?. Can u post picture please. I might do same.

We learned from replacing the wheels twice on my husbands previous truck (07 Yukon Denali XL) that the road salt used in the winter corrodes the chrome rims very quickly.

The first set lasted about 4 years, then over the following year we made several visits to a very reputable tire shop to have them remove as much corrosion as possible and reinstall the tires. Once they got to the point when there was no more that could be done with the original rims, my husband opted for another set of Chrome (non GM) rims against the advice of the tire shop. The technician told us that the manufacturers of Chrome rims have been forced to change the materials they use because of environmental concerns and the chrome simply won't last as long anymore. The second set lasted a year just as we were told even though my husband had a car wash seasons pass from Petro Canada and washed his truck daily.

The last set were black painted and gorgeous, my husband constantly got compliments on them.

My husband also had issues with the chrome flaking off the wheels within a couple years after buying the Denali unfortunately he drives a lot and it was out of warranty by that time. I seem to recall the flaking being an issue with the 07's; hopefully the wheels on both of our Esky's will last longer, it's gonna be expensive to replace them!

So, if you live in an area where there is a lot of road salt used, stay away from chrome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts