Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
A red 2007 escalade base and a orange 2004 lamborghini galla
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving in the highway after taking my escalade to the dealership for a total maintence thing and well they checked everything and when I left I was in. The highway and the rear right tire exploded? It ripped from the outer wall with a straight clean line all around completely making a clean Circle would it be that somebody cut it before I left my house or that they over inflated the tire?

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Lots of reasons.... how many miles on the tires? How Old? Sounds like a Belt went bad. If the tire was Over Inflated, the DIC would let you know. Don't know the area where you live, but here in NY, with the bad winter, all the pot holes, it does a number on the belts. Lots of side wall bubbles, and belts separate. They generate a lot of heat from friction within the tire itself and then just let go.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
You can't always detect that a tire blowout is imminent. I had a tire with less than 1k miles suddenly blow out once.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were after market but they weren't cheap they were a good brand but I just got it out the dealership with those tires and they did maintenance so they should've inflated them and I live in South Carolina the road was clear of debris and it was very hot that day I was on the highway I'll post pictures of the tire to see if that will help

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
They were after market but they weren't cheap they were a good brand but I just got it out the dealership with those tires and they did maintenance so they should've inflated them and I live in South Carolina the road was clear of debris and it was very hot that day I was on the highway I'll post pictures of the tire to see if that will help
As posted earlier, your TPMS would have alerted you if either it was under-inflated but not sure if you get an alert when overinflated.

If you're looking to blame the repair shop for this, that's probably going to be a long shot to prove they overinflated the tire.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
TPMS monitors for both over and under inflated.

FWIW, a tire would have to be VERY overinflated to fail.

·
Registered
All Escalade Premiums, '16 ESV, '13 ESV, '10 EXT
617 Posts
Chalk this one up to coincidence and bad luck, there's pretty much nothing the shop could have done to cause this. I had a tire on my Supra go out the exact same way and it was a $500 tire (not per set, each!) that had maybe 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Oh I almost forgot but worth mentioning is that tires actually do have a manufacturer's warranty that's based on the tread depth and original purchase date. In addition to the above question how old was the tire and what was the wear on it like if you remember? If it wasn't from a puncture or road hazard you can get it replaced, that tire on my Supra was replaced under warranty

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
Are you asking because you want to get something out of the dealer? Just buy your new tire and move on. You're not going to get anywhere accusing anyone of an over-inflation. Tires are wear items, sometimes they last forever, sometimes they leave this world prematurely.

·
Registered
617 Posts
What I'm gathering is that they're tires that he bought so again should be able to pursue a warranty claim unless they had a wear or age that would take them out of that.

And yes as everyone is saying overinflation would not cause that, it would only cause premature wear on the center of the tire which on a heavy truck like this would be at a PSI level that the DIC would DEFINITELY throw a warning- i believe the warning range is under 30 and over 45

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Considering I have foragtios on the truck that cost me $3500 for the set I'm pretty annoyed since I almost flipped and the rim is completely destoyed

·
Registered
617 Posts
Considering I have foragtios on the truck that cost me $3500 for the set I'm pretty annoyed since I almost flipped and the rim is completely destoyed
So... again... how old are the tires you bought with them? Tread depth? Brand/model? And I hear you on the wheels man, the rims my tires were on were discontinued very rare 18x10 Anterra 5 spokes. Fortunately just had some outer rim damage I was able to repair I'm amazed your Forgiatos would've taken damage to that extreme from this? Worst case you may just have to get new barrels...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts