Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Cadillac Fleetwood
Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
Cadillac Brougham

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Well from what I know ( not much) the Fleetwood ,Fleetwood Brougham , and the Brougham are pretty much the same car with different options. Cadillac decided thatthe big Fleetwoods from 85 on would be known as the Brougham .As far as the Devilles I'm still not completely sure on them. As I said before I don't know that much about them :disappoin

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe that before the Devilles went frot drive, they were all different trim pakages on the same basic car. When the FWD carts came out, they were the devilles and Fleetwoods. The Fleetwood broughams were the RWD's. I think?

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the Fleetwood Broughams kept that same huge old (and cool, to me) bodystyle up until the late 90's... Then, Cadillac changed the style and killed it right away... That's all I know...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ok ill give you all the lowdown on all this

Deville
DHS (deville highline (or something)- sedan, the baseline deville. Comes with alot of gadets, the standard northstar

DTS- deville touring sedan- firmer suspension, usually comes with analog guages and a center console, and obviously the 300 hp northstar

DCS- deville concours sedan- The top line model when it comes to luxuary. Basically a combonation of them. Cadillac says they're more of a limited edition, but not really.

All of the devilles have front wheel drive

Fleetwood/broughams

in 1993, when the fleetwood was lengthened (probably my favorite caddy of them all), it was offered as the Fleetwood or the Fleetwood brougham. The fleetwood was the baseline one and not a to of options for it. The fleetwood brougham (what i have), basically got the works, like seat warmers, gold package (which includes all the different signal things on the hood, the vinyl top, and other things i havent noticed)

Before 93 (the older body style)- the broughams and the fleetwoods were actually different models. The fleetwoods were the tiny ones. The broughams were the big ones. The broughams were more luxurious.

ALL HAD REAR WHEEL DRIVE EXCEPT FOR THE PRE-93 FLEETOWOODS

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah then you gotta go all the way back to 84 when they were all pretty much the same as far as basic packages are concern for the big Caddies. 85 was when the FWD were coming and Cadillac decided to make the Fleetwood Brougham just the Brougham and Fleetwood became a package option to the then new FWD Devilles. If you put a 91 Brougham and parked it next to a 82 Fleetwood Brougham you would see that it was really the same car only with the newer gadgets. How I wish Cadillac still made the Brougham coupe up to 91 :(

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year did the Fleetwood get changed to the newer looking DeVille looks? I used to love the more square look like Mad'lac has... If I'm reading correctly, I'm understanding that they got even longer with that same square bodystyle in '93?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I think 93 was the year they went with the newer body style. Of course I could be wrong about the yr but I don't think they got longer.:confused:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
93 was the year they went to the newer bodystyle (its basically the same, but longer and wider, and of course, the LT1).

Basically what happened in 1993 was this- The fleetwood became longer and wider, and the brougham was dropped. Then they added the brougham name to it for the more expensive trim package. Essentially, the fleetwood and the brougham were merged into 1 car (the length/power of the brougham and the design of the fleetwood).

I have actually seen 1998 cadillac fleetwood broughams with the northstar and rear wheel drive. They basically converted a deville, made it longer, added northstar, and put in rear wheel drive. 1998 was the only year it was produced, outside of 1996, when official fleetwoods stopped production

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually there were some fwd fleetwoods

I saw an 84 (I think) Fleetwood. It was not a Brougham. It was basically a Deville with a few extra toys on it. It had a 4.1 motor. I am sure there were also some Fleetwood 60 models in the late 1980's /early 1990's that were also fwd. I think these would have been 4.5 or 4.9 motors. IMHO, none of these could stand up to the Broughams. Mine is only a 5.0 motor, but I love the big old brute. It may not have the power of a Northstar motor, but good old cast iron 307's last a very long time. And idiosyncracies aside the thm2004r is a pretty good transmission too. The only thing that could make me get rid of it would be another Brougham as nice as mine is with a 5.7 motor. Those things have a towing capacity of 7000 lbs. That's better than a lot of trucks, and speaks well for the ruggedness of the drive train. It may not be high tech luxury, but it is durable luxury and that is even more luxury in and of itself.

·
Registered
974 Posts
To go back a little further, Cadillac first began using the term "brougham" to represent their large, 4 door 5 or 7 passenger car back in 1916.

The term "Fleetwood" comes from a custom coachbuilder named Fleetwood that became associated with Cadillac in 1927 when styling became very important (Cadillac with the first car company to have a car completely designed by a stylist named Harley Earl in 1927 with the introduction of the La Salle).

Cadillac came out with a new line in 1936 called the Series 60 (previously they had Series 10, 20 30). In 1938, the Sixty Special Sedan was introduced.

After the war in 1946, Cadillac began using the term "Series 60 Special Fleetwood." Also, "Fleetwood" began to designate Cadillacs top of the line cars, the "Series 75 Fleetwood."

The new "pillarless" Coupe Deville was introduced in 1949. It was a 2 door convertible hardtop (I thought this was significant since Deville and Fleetwood were later so closely associated).

The new exclusive "Sedan DeVille" joined the Coupe Deville in 1954.

In 1958, Cadillac introduced the rare, top of the line Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham with a hefty price tag of $13,074 (the average Cadillac cost around $5000!).

In 1965, Cadillac for the most part dropped the "Series" designation. They had the entry Calais, the Deville line, the newly dubbed Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham, Fleetwood Eldorado and the Fleetwood 75. The main distinction between the Deville and Fleetwood was the fact that the Devilles were "pillarless" (having no pillar between the front and rear windows) while the Fleetwood retained the pillar. The Deville also had small quarter window in the rear sail panel while the Fleetwood did not. Also, badging for the Fleetwoods contained the laurel wreath and crest while the Devilles usually had only the crest with the traditional "V" underneath it. The Fleetwoods were the ultimate in Cadillac luxury with more rear seat room than the Devilles (which came in a coupe and sedan form; the Fleetwood only came in 4 door form). Also, this was the last year the term "Fleetwood" was associated with "Eldorado."

In 1977 when Cadillac downsized, the term "Sixty Special" was no longer used in the now "Fleetwood Brougham." The Deville and the Fleetwood were now the same dimensions with the Fleetwood still being the top of the line. There were still minor cosmetic differences one of them being the Devilles now had pillars.

In 1981, Fleetwood introduced the "Fleetwood Brougham Coupe." The main difference between the Devilles and Fleetwoods was the use of the laurel wreath and crest for the Fleetwoods and the crest with the "V" for the Devilles. This continued through 1984.

In 1985 with the introduction of the "Cadillac of Tomorrow" (the new, smaller front-wheel drive transverse mounted engines), there were now the Devilles (Coupe and Sedan [which now finally wore the laurel wreath and crest along with the Fleetwoods]), the Fleetwood (Coupe & Sedan) and the Fleetwood Brougham (which was still rear wheel drive).

In 1986, "Fleetwood" became an option package for the Deville as well as a "Fleetwood d'Elegance" package.

In 1987, the Fleetwood Brougham became simply the "Brougham." Only the "Fleetwood d'Elegance" package was now offered. The "Fleetwood Sixty Special" returned (FWD) with a five inch wheelbase extension and additional features not available on the other line.

In 1993, the RWD Brougham was finally redesigned and now named the "Fleetwood." "Brougham" was also used as an upscale option for the Fleetwood. There was no longer a FWD version Fleetwood. There was the Deville (Coupe and Sedan [which incidentally would be the last year for the Coupe]) and now simply the "Sixty Special" sedan which were all FWD. The term "Sedan Deville" was still used until 1996 even though the "Coupe Deville" was dropped for 1994. It became simply the "Deville" in 1997.

Of course, 1996 saw the ultimate demise of the RWD Fleetwood Brougham as well as the use of it's proud name(s).

I'm sure somewhere in Cadillac's future, the names will undoubtedly appear somewhere.

I hope I haven't confused you more than clarified anything for you.

Max

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I think you have answered it all for us Max :) BTW Welcome!!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Wow, that should go into the history section in the general discussions. That basically sums it all up, there you have it ladies and gents.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks a bunch

Maxim for the great explanation of names. It is such a shame that cars like the Brougham and other fine rwd cars are not available now from Cadillac. I hear that rwd is coming back. I'm all for it.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the old names will probably come back. It's a great marketing idea.. Otherwise.. WOW!! That was great! What an explanation! Yes, this will go into the history section with a credit to Maximln and a link to his profile.. :D

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
yes very well done. The perfect cadillac would be is if they made a RWD northstar. would be truly perfect!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I heard the same thing too. Bout time Cadillac decided to do the right thing and go back to RWD.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I think that they should have all RWD and 1 FWD. There's always going to be that 1 person who wants a cheap, 6cy, FWD cadillac. Now, it is the other way around. All FWD and 1 RWD (well, in 96 with the fleetwoods)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
14 Participants
inmycadillac