Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06' Cadillac CTS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I made a post about this earlier and nobody had an idea, after a week of gaining advice, I have come to this question. I have a V exhaust on my 3.6 06 w/ 30k on it. I decided to remove the resonator and ad a magnaflow x pipe. Now when the engine, and exhaust is cold, on acceleration it makes a terrible cracking sound/machine gun sound. Almost as if there is a nail bouncing around in my muffler. I took it back to the exhaust shop he walked around hit it with a rubber mallet and it was solid, i stood right there as he did it. He checked the welds, and flange bolts, and all was perfect. He could not diagnose the problem, and I was on my way again without an answer. I have spoke to a couple friends of mine whom are pretty nifty with cars, my dad, and my uncle 3 of the 4 believe that it is the hot air mixing with the cold air when the vehicle is cold causing this noise. When the vehicle is warmed up it does not make the sound. When revving the engine in neutral between 2000 & 3500 RPMS, and yes I know this is bad but this problem is driving me nuts!, but when revving in neutral the sound is a lot less than when accelerating obviously with the load of the car. Is this possible? The hot air and cold air mixing to cause this noise? Why did it not do it without the pipe? Help guys!! Im desperate!!! I will put a clip of the sound up tonight or tomorrow night.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,742 Posts
You've created a home-brew exhaust system with all it's inherent characteristics. Even the Corsa (which I have on my V) pops a little when the engine is cold, but it isn't bad. Your issue isn't loose fittings, it's the flow and it's effect when the system is cold, which is why experts design, test, and refine exhaust systems to get optimum performance under a variety of temperatures and loads. Mix and match parts and you get what you get.

CC

·
Registered
06' Cadillac CTS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Clarke, Not what i wanted to hear lol, but I realize that yes this is the risk that is run by piecing together an exhaust system. Considering I do not want to spend the money on a Corsa, Borla etc, SYSTEM, what do you recommend for fixing this problem? Would adding different mufflers fix this problem? I mean really all that is stock right now is the "stock" v Mufflers, its all 2.5" piping, with an xpipe....? Thanks for the help though..... I guess I already knew this was coming but the confirmation from another person seals it haha.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,742 Posts
If the exhaust sound is really annoying to you (and it sounds like it is) and you don't want to invest a lot of money, put the system back to whatever configuration it was in that pleased you last. You can troll the V-forum and might be able to pick up a discarded V system for the price of shipping if that's what you liked and you don't have the old parts anymore. I gave my old stock system away to a fellow CTS owner and he loved it. To each his own. Mixing and matching components until you get it right can be more trouble (and expense) than it's worth.

If you want a really sweet-sounding system for a decent price, I can't recommend the Corsa enough. Sure it costs more, but you don't see super -models at fast food resetaurants do you? I think I paid something like $700 for my CTS-V's, and finally ordered one for the XLR today for more than double that. (Ouch!) With the internet, you can shop around and find some really great deals. --And if you can't afford it right now, then put a little away each month until you're ready. There are some things in life worth saving and waiting for. It's hard to appreciate how nice your exhaust system sounds until you see someone with cheap, twin aftermarket fart cans proudly grinning from ear to ear next to you at a stoplight when you both take off at the same time. They aren't grinning anymore when they're in your rear-view mirror. Priceless . . . for everything else, there's Mastercard.

Just my .02, your milage may vary. Good luck!

CC Clarke

·
Registered
06' Cadillac CTS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres a clip of a guy with a 3.2 that has the same setup as I except I have a 3.6, V Exhaust with magnaflow x pipe, his sounds fine. Im still trying to find a solution, cause personally I love the sound of this setup.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/gpaoli/?action=view&current=ctsclip.flv

Is it possible that a muffler has gone bad? Like I said it sounds like a nail is thrown inside of the muffler and on acceleration it bounces around causing this metal to metal sound. Its not normal popping/raspiness/burbling that many experience when the change their exhaust systems. As stated earlier im still working on getting a frieken sound clip up. Maybe sometime today!

·
Registered
06' Cadillac CTS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the link to a video of my car making the annoying sound, please if anyone has any ideas i really appreciate it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts