Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Escalade Premium Edition
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this over the last few weeks. At cold start the exhaust sounds louder particularly under the car and there is an intermittent resonating rattle during spin down when I rev the engine. Disappears after 30 seconds- car runs fine.

No obvious exhaust leaks. Got underneath and tapped everything with a rubber mallet- couldn't reproduce the rattle.

Seems like a loose baffle that tightens up when hot. Anyone had anything like this?

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV AWD
228 Posts
Had a similar issue with a 2007 Suburban when the catalytic converter(s) were starting to go bad. Check engine light followed, then a very expensive repair after that...

-John

12,778 Posts
Just noticed this over the last few weeks. At cold start the exhaust sounds louder particularly under the car and there is an intermittent resonating rattle during spin down when I rev the engine. Disappears after 30 seconds- car runs fine.

No obvious exhaust leaks. Got underneath and tapped everything with a rubber mallet- couldn't reproduce the rattle.

Seems like a loose baffle that tightens up when hot. Anyone had anything like this?
Hello cutterman,

I can understand how your exhaust sounding louder than usual could be concerning. Have you thought about having a Cadillac dealership take a peek and see what might be the root cause? Please let me know if you would like my assistance looking into this further. I'm happy to contact the dealership on your behalf.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2011 Escalade Premium Edition
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some follow up on this.
Brought it to the dealer and of course they didn't hear it. In the shop a second time for leaking front shock replacement, and they tell me oh there's a TSB for this problem affecting 2011 and 2012 models. Fix is replacement of clamp and bracket. Kudos to my dealer for taking care of that and the shock N/C. Problem solved.

Katie and Cadillac customer service: it actually would have been helpful if you let me know about the TSB. We usually don't need help getting appointments. Just FYI.

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,846 Posts
cutterman said:
Some follow up on this. Brought it to the dealer and of course they didn't hear it. In the shop a second time for leaking front shock replacement, and they tell me oh there's a TSB for this problem affecting 2011 and 2012 models. Fix is replacement of clamp and bracket. Kudos to my dealer for taking care of that and the shock N/C. Problem solved. Katie and Cadillac customer service: it actually would have been helpful if you let me know about the TSB. We usually don't need help getting appointments. Just FYI.
cool, glad it wasn't a broken exhaust manifold bolt at the cylinder head

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

Seems the Caddy customer service is only good for making appointments. Wish they would actually put some real (useful) information on here!

12,778 Posts
Hi cutterman,

I appreciate you sending us an update, and I apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered throughout this process. We rely heavily on our GM certified dealerships for their technical expertise and as our eyes and ears in the field. Since we are not technicians, we are unable to discuss TSB information with our customers. If additional questions or concerns arise, don't hesitate to send us a private message.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2008 Escalade EXT
187 Posts
The exhaust makes a louder and "throatier" sound on a cold start for about 2 seconds. I notice this clearly as my truck usually is backed in partially under my carport which is also close to my front door. When it's hot out I use the remote start from in the house and the sound is very noticeable.

Not sure why it does this but I love that sound for the first 2 seconds.

My friend has a Ford F350 diesel with some work done to it. His does the same thing, very throaty at start up but then quiets down after 2-3 seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My 2019 XTS has a similar problem. The exhaust system vibrates during cold startups and at certain rpm as well. This causes the muffler to rattle until warmed up.

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,891 Posts
You're replying to a thread that has been dead for 5 years .......... look at the dates of the posts you're quoting.

What did you see for low temperature early this morning? Right chilly there, I'll guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts