Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wasn't looking to start a new thread, but all I came up with in searches was people wanting to go aftermarket like magnaflows and what not, not because they're stock system is junk but because they want some more sound. I'd say about the last couple weeks I've noticed it's been getting a little louder, not super ridiculous but you can tell when on the gas below 3k rpms. No jack at home and looked a little bit underneath but never crawled on the ground under the car. Got an oil change today and walked back there to get stuff out of the car if it was on the ground but was in the air. Looked, plain as day both mufflers rotted out, passenger side isn't that bad but drivers side there is one spot I could probably punch a hole in it with my finger if I wanted. I'm crazy with washing the car. Spend so much on car washes, usually gets it twice a week, I've hit 3 a couple times in the winter with all the salt and what not, so me washing the car isn't the problem.

So the problem, they said for factory mufflers- they said the rest is fine up to the cat. IS 16- 1800 BUCKS. Can't remeber exactly but a crazy high number for 2 mufflers. Is this correct. He gave me a number for a guy to call to get it done more reasonably than dealership-awesome for a service writer to do. But suppose, we do work there and he probably knows I'm not paying 2 grand for 2 mufflers. And one of the techs I talked to said one of the other techs has a lift at his house and said to check with him. And probably will call a guy from a local suspension shop that did my struts and something back on my seville. He's decent but not sure if he messes with exhaust, but worth checking since he's decent. So at least have a couple options for someone to do it but the parts is the big concern.

So I guess question 1- are the oe mufflers usually that expensive. And 2- any good suggestions for aftermarket? I think some nice magnaflows or corsa sound awesome on someone elses car. But I'd like the car to sound how it is supposed to. Don't want to make it loud- that's what I'm looking to fix. I think stock is perfect, quiet in town, but 3-5k on the tach on an on ramp and it sounds mean. So any suggestions?

Thanks, Eric

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,616 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sub. Never heard of the brand, have you ever used them? Sounds a heck of a lot better than 2 grand. Any idea why it says "not legal in california" and whatever it says about new york? Can't see how one brand of muffler- flowmaster is fine in ca but it says this isn't? Either way, have no intention of going to ca.

Maybe if this was a low mile summer toy car I'd try for the oe but this is my daily that I pound miles on in wi and almost 130 on the clock now. Just want the car to run and sound how it is supposed to

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,616 Posts
Walker exhaust systems and parts have been around since long before I was born. I shudder to think of how many Walker parts I have installed over the years as second-job part-time shop mechanic.

California has some of the craziest aftermarket car parts laws on the planet (like most everything else in California) - don't sweat it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=walker+exhaust+parts+history&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS730US730&oq=walker+exhaust+parts+history&aqs=chrome..69i57.10985j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it done and the car is back to sounding how it's supposed to, looks nice too. I could tell as soon as I turned the key, was like damn sounds like a prius, maybe I could have done magnaflows. But think stock is best, still sounds good at 4k. Better, smoother low rpm power too, it was like I'd have to get her to 2500-3k to get moving good. I've noticed this for about a month? but think it's been a little longer and just got used to the super gradual loudness at 1st, then by the time you're like- yeah I think it's louder than it should be, it definitely is. Wasn't that bad, but this thing sounds and rides like a brand new car now. If it was a summer toy car, woulda been nice to get the oe unit, but paid just over 500 for both mufflers installed, not bad for a wi daily and noone would ever know

1 - 5 of 5 Posts