Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,313 Posts
Doesn't matter too much; when you get on it, you get enhanced sound through the sound system (through the speakers).

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
So the engine sounds in the XT5 is artificially piped into the cockpit? Well, if you ask me, they need to fire the sound mixer who created that track. It sounds like crap! If they are going to fake it, at least make it sound good.

·
Registered
2020 XT6 PREMIUM LUXURY
140 Posts
You can only do so much to make a V6 sound good.

If this fake sound was actually pumped in thru the speakers, which I doubt, there would be some mention of it in the OM.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,313 Posts
I may have misspoken on the enhanced sound from the engine. There is an RPO code NKE (Noise control, electronic sound enhancer) listed for the ATS; that's where I probably remember it from. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
Perhaps the idea of sound enhancement is actually the opposite effect everyone is thinking of. The ANC, active noice cancellation, will work through the sound system to cancel noises, including engine noises, to make for a quieter ride. I cannot find in the owners manual a description of ANC, but I know I saw it somewhere.

·
Registered
CT6 Platinum White Tri-coat with Super Cruise
662 Posts
Want better breathing? Try a K&N Air Filter (if you can find one). You will get better air flow and some performs. Sound? Outside, a bit throaty; inside? ????

·
Registered
2006 XLR
467 Posts
You may want to think a louder exhaust over, California just enacted vehicle noise fines and 97DB is the max and if you get a ticket its $1000 . Florida and some other states are planning new legislation which also includes motorcycles and no more fix it tickets.
As for K&N filters they just make louder intake noise and dont filter as good as paper filters and the oil will screw up the MAF sensor.
https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
I've never been a fan of K&N filters, especially those big "cone" that sit out in the open, under the good. Most modern cars have a cold air intake, so using those K&N cones actually causes hotter air from the engine bay to be used as opposed to cooler outside air.

A
s for these noise ordinances, they are "feel good" legislation. They appease local residents who complain about loud cars, but they cannot be enforced when the sound comes from a factory exhaust, including very loud dump trucks and other commercial vehicles as this would be counter to federal interstate commerce laws. However, it gives the cops an excuse to pull over a car for "just cause" and possibly cite it for other infractions. And, of course, generate revenue from uninformed motorists who do not understand that a traffic citation can (and usually should be) fought in court.

·
Registered
XT5
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone.
First of all, and I should probably add this on the intro page I posted as well, a little background about myself.
Started getting my feet wet in the 80's tinkering with mini-mods on my Z24.
Then took things to a whole new modifying my Thunderbird Supercoupe for 1/4 mile drags and for quite a while I was in the North American Top 10 until the competition got younger with deeper pockets.
Next was a custom tuned WRX wagon. 2 babies ended that short.
Bigger must be better, so I got the first Magnum Hemi AWD in Canada. Another custom tune, ceramic coated JBA shorty headers and Borla exhaust.
My last ride was a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and this was the first car I ever owned that was so good out of the box, that it needed nothing.
So I'm not a complete newb. . . . :)
1. Not looking for a cold air. I don't think there is anything to gain in this application. Had all that intake stuff off while upgrading the headlights and it seems to be a fairly good design right from the factory.
2. K&N, wouldn't touch it as it lets way too many particulates into the engine.
3. Engine sounds via the radio? Is this verified fact or just urban legend?
4. Now what started it . . . The exhaust. What I'm after is something subtlety louder at idle that really wakes up when you stand on it. Borla for example tends to do this really well. If I can pick up a few lost HP, then all the better.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
@mr.niftie...if you read each post in this thread, you will recognize the engine sounds via the radio was an admitted misunderstanding of an option description. The audio system does create noises of the opposite polarity to suppress engine sounds and other interior sounds using the ANC (Active Noise Cancellation).

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
2,017 Posts
Its still is only an SUV (emphasis on UTILITY) not a sports sedan

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
@mr.niftie...if you read each post in this thread, you will recognize the engine sounds via the radio was an admitted misunderstanding of an option description. The audio system does create noises of the opposite polarity to suppress engine sounds and other interior sounds using the ANC (Active Noise Cancellation).
But there are cars that used "emulated" exhaust sounds via the sound system - I know BMW and Porsche do this. I think it's ridiculous. Either make an engine that sounds good, or don't, but don't make fake sounds just for the passengers to hear.

·
Registered
XT5 & Escalade
41 Posts
Re: Exhaust Mods

A few years back I had a device that plugged into the lighter port that emitted a big V8 sound. I used it in various vehicles for fun. After a month or so I discarded it. It was a toy for awhile.
Bought a C7 and didn't need it anymore. :)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Nothing like the natural sound of an American V8 with nearly 400 cubic inches. No synthetic sounds needed in a Corvette.

·
Registered
XT5
485 Posts
Heroic modifications to the exhaust system of a prior luxury SUV did not sound good, did not improve performance and required ongoing maintenance. Exhaust shops were reluctant to help. I think the XT5 sounds pretty good as is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts