Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 DeVille Coach
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm about to reinstall the exhaust manifolds after putting on reman heads on my '84 DeVille and I'm looking for clarification on the procedure.

Both the Chilton and Haynes manuals are quite specific about putting a dry film graphite lubricant between the head/heat stove/and exhaust manifold mating surfaces to keep the manifolds from cracking; however, they make no mention of manifold gaskets on an HT4100.

The Fel-Pro gasket set came with three gaskets, and states where to put each one relative to the mating surfaces, but makes no mention of the graphite dry film lubricant.

Should I go with the lubricant, or the gaskets, or lubricate the gaskets then install?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
Recently I installed a new engine. I used the Fel-Pro gaskets dry. My engine doesn't have the heat stove at the exhaust manifold, so gasket is now an obje d' art in my garage. Graphite was used at the factory when no gasket was used at all.

·
Registered
1984 DeVille Coach
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dave. Not worrying about aerosol graphite ought to make life easier (not to mention significantly less messy).

·
Registered
34 Posts
i hear bad things about fel pro gaskets. i think you should use some kind of lube or sealant. that graphite stuff works wonders on threads and stuff in the shop. i don't know about automotive applications but its great stuff. maybe throw it in just for good measure? it'll add a couple thousandths thickness to whatever you put it on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts