Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaking what seems to be water out of the exhaust? What is this indicative of?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Blown head gasket.
Does the exhaust smell like coolant? Is it overheating? Are you loosing coolant?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust didn't smell like coolant, and I'm not losing coolant, but it was overheating. I was thinking it could be that...ugh!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like its time to look for a new car...possibly a 00-03 Deville DTS, how do you like them Ranger? I still love Sevilles over all of them.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
Flush. No seriously, it may not be a bad gasket, but just condensation. It can build up in various parts of the exhaust system and come out the tailpipe. Refer to my previous brake method post for how to determine a head gasket failure. It has yet to produce a false negative if done right.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe drain? Or flush? I thought so, my car has never ever done this to me, didn't even show signs of a bad HG, just seriously all of a sudden started doing that. Never lost coolant, exhaust doesn't smell like coolant, so eh? I will read up on it Zorb, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
I love my DHS. Sold my '02 SLS to my daughter after having it for only 9 months. Just a bit too small and firm for me. I like 'em big & soft.

If you are not loosing coolant and the exhaust liquid does not smell or taste like coolant, it may not be head gaskets. There are drain holes in the mufflers I believe and if they are plugged, it may just be condensate. If you are overheating, there are many things to check. Cap holding pressure, purge line clear, belt tensioner tight, radiator clogged, thermostat. Don't write it off without checking everything first. If you suspect a head gasket, do a cylinder pressure test.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,116 Posts
Don't forget that for every gallon of petrofuel you burn, you create just over a gallon of water. Catalytic convertors help the process. My STS and F150 faithfully piddle water out the muffler drains every morning, until the metal heats up enough for the vapor to flow as steam (cool morning) and then as dry steam (Hot exhaust system, on highway). (Dry steam ????....yep, that's exactly what steam turbines use....) If the liquid is clear or slightly sooty and you're not losing coolant, don't sweat it.

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
Don't forget that for every gallon of petrofuel you burn, you create just over a gallon of water. Catalytic convertors help the process. My STS and F150 faithfully piddle water out the muffler drains every morning, until the metal heats up enough for the vapor to flow as steam (cool morning) and then as dry steam (Hot exhaust system, on highway). (Dry steam ????....yep, that's exactly what steam turbines use....) If the liquid is clear or slightly sooty and you're not losing coolant, don't sweat it.
Wow! Never knew that. That's a LOT of water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts