Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
1980 FBC
I've used stainless on tower antenna projects and found it to gall and bind. Worse than rusty stuff for me.

Not sure if it's an alloy issue. It was big box store stuff.

Stainless is usually weaker than grade 5.

Registered
Stainless has different grades.
Unmarked hardware store stuff is commonly grade 2.
Buying from a company like ARP is a high quality part, but it costs.
Factory used grade 5 on many things like exhaust manifolds.

Some warn against using the grade 2 stainless as it's weaker & can break.
Not just on removal but from stress & thremo cycling.
Yet much harder to drill.

I like & do use stainless.
But I'm also carefull about what the bolt goes into incase it snaps.

I agree in construction of outdoor parts with stainless hardware.
The hardware acts more like aluminum in reguards to damage from overtightening or galling when the holes don't line up perfect.

As far as the remaining stud I would avoid an impact to remove.
Everyone has their own technique.
Just maybe an impact if the manifold is glowing hot.
But hand tools are safer in reguards to the risk of snaping the stud or damaging the manifold threads.

Registered
1980 FBC
I would not try an impact when trying to remove a rusted compromised stud from a glowing torch fed manifold.

Tink. no thanks.

Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX Sport AWD Export (ex Japan RHD)
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help in addressing an exhaust leak on my '73 Deville. The car my first project car (I'm 18 and trying to learn wrenching), and I'm already having difficulty. The previous owner said the leak was caused by an exhaust flange gasket. However, I'm wondering if it's caused by a missing bolt. I removed a nut from the bottom screw (in the area shown in the attached pictures). However, I noticed there's no nut or bolt in the top hole. Will a nut and bolt in the top hole be enough to stop the exhaust leak?

Many Thanks,
Jackson
It's almost 100% positive that the exhaust leak is caused by the missing bolt. I never worked on my '73's exhaust so I don't know if there's a gasket of any kind there or not. Maybe just replacing the bolt will fix it. Exhaust nuts & bolts can vibrate loose and fall off which is what appears has happened in your case.

Registered
2001 cadillac sedan de ville
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help in addressing an exhaust leak on my '73 Deville. The car my first project car (I'm 18 and trying to learn wrenching), and I'm already having difficulty. The previous owner said the leak was caused by an exhaust flange gasket. However, I'm wondering if it's caused by a missing bolt. I removed a nut from the bottom screw (in the area shown in the attached pictures). However, I noticed there's no nut or bolt in the top hole. Will a nut and bolt in the top hole be enough to stop the exhaust leak?

Many Thanks,
Jackson
Family ran an auto parts store and muffler shop for many years. You definitely have to have both bolts securely attached. Gasket depends on the vehicle.
Also, sometimes the the bolthole either on the pipe or in the manifold could be slightly wallowed out, in which case the problems grow more severe. If its the pipe, you'll need a new pipe. If it's the manifold, it might have to be re-drilled with obviously other problems ensuing from that. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Family ran an auto parts store and muffler shop for many years. You definitely have to have both bolts securely attached. Gasket depends on the vehicle.
Also, sometimes the the bolthole either on the pipe or in the manifold could be slightly wallowed out, in which case the problems grow more severe. If its the pipe, you'll need a new pipe. If it's the manifold, it might have to be re-drilled with obviously other problems ensuing from that. Good luck.
Thanks! I'm at the point where I'm almost done -- just need to re-tap some threads in the manifold. Fingers crossed it goes well. I'm excited to move onto the carb after this is all behind me.

Registered

Many Thanks,
Jackson

Registered
Re; 73 exhaust problem, if you can find a flange or donut gasket, fine, if not,a nut and bolt will fit in or thru the hole, just be sure it's a case hardened nut and bolt,
Older Caddys always had their signature gurgle, good luck
Pops

21 - 30 of 30 Posts