Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seville SLS 96 has some exhaust leak. I hear exhaust leak sound while driving car. I put rear tires on ramp and noticed that when I turned car off, one of the mufflers near the exhaust pipe (towards front side of car) had some water drops. So I guess it must be leaking. I am a little scared to start car and go under car. Any idea how to check the exhaust leak. If there is small leak, does any super glue etc work to seal. I heard there is something called putty that can seal the exhaust leak. Any idea if it works. What is it called and where to get from.

Thanks
John

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Water is a normal byproduct of combustion. It has to go somewhere, the mufflers actually have small holes in them to let the water drain out.
If you hear an exhaust leak the best way to find it is put the car up in the air and leave it idling. Run your hands along the exhaust system about an inch or two away from the pipes and feel for small puffs of exhaust. BE CAREFUL not to touch the pipe unless you want to burn yourself.
When you find the leak take it to an exhaust shop and have it properly repaired. Don't put putty and crap on the pipes, just fix what needs to be fixed.
Walker exhaust makes bolt on exhaust system parts, it might require some pipe cutting and some clamps but with a few tools you can almost replace any part that is bad yourself.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Any exhaust putty or muffler bandages are temporary at best. Like Ewill said, do it right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts