Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well maybe I am old school, when I was last tinkering with car and exhaust mods it was pretty simple. Manifolds or headers, collector, Cats(if required), Mufflers..

Now I see more terms, and see the same thing called different name, and different things called the same name and it seems a bit confusing.
I seem to have seen all three things seeming used for the same item, and then other times both used when describing a single system, is it both item and placement?
Resonators
xpipe
muffler

I have seen the Magnaflow 12468 called both a xpipe and a muffler. But then I have seen resonators called mufflers..

Can someone help?

Right now I have stock manifolds into a Magnaflow 12468 mid car then a pair of magnaflow mufflers at the tail.
I want more bark as right now when I get on it there really is no exhaust sound, it is all SC. I am debating gutting the cats, but worry about it being too loud all the time.
The car has a mild drone in driver seat only (explain that?) which also makes me wonder if I should leave the cats alone for now and maybe remove the 12468 and put in a true xpipe, or remove the mufflers at tail?
Another option is electronic cutouts which are tempting as it then lets me be loud when I want and quiet other times, one of the local CTSV guys did cutout just before his rear mufflers and it sounds really good when open...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
I removed my stock mufflers and resonator completely and put in a Magnaflow 12468 x-pipe/muffler where the resonator use to be. There's some drone around 1.8k rpm but it's nothing that I care about. The car roars to life on a cold start but after the engine has warmed up the exhaust has a nice low sound. The sound becomes really noticible on the outside when you're really giving it. It's loud but sometimes I feel it's not loud enough but really 95% of the time I think it's perfect. I know you've read my thread on the exhaust setup so this is basically what I've said there as well.

I would definitely like to get Tims headers when I can afford it and gutting the cats might be something I'll consider in the future. Cutouts are awesome as well. Yesterday I was driving behind a GTO with straight pipes and that thing was LOUD just sitting at a red light! It was definitely a head turner so being able to change exhaust loudness would be sweet.

By the way the 12468 is a muffler but internally has a crossover design which is why it's also called an x-pipe.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V
320 Posts
I removed my stock mufflers and resonator completely and put in a Magnaflow 12468 x-pipe/muffler where the resonator use to be. There's some drone around 1.8k rpm but it's nothing that I care about. The car roars to life on a cold start but after the engine has warmed up the exhaust has a nice low sound. The sound becomes really noticible on the outside when you're really giving it. It's loud but sometimes I feel it's not loud enough but really 95% of the time I think it's perfect. I know you've read my thread on the exhaust setup so this is basically what I've said there as well.

I would definitely like to get Tims headers when I can afford it and gutting the cats might be something I'll consider in the future. Cutouts are awesome as well. Yesterday I was driving behind a GTO with straight pipes and that thing was LOUD just sitting at a red light! It was definitely a head turner so being able to change exhaust loudness would be sweet.

By the way the 12468 is a muffler but internally has a crossover design which is why it's also called an x-pipe.
Everything he said is on point!

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!! Gets me wondering if going to a classic Xpipe and run just mufflers at the tail would cut the drone AND bring up the noise factor..? Baller and I both have the 12468 and both have drone....?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Thanks guys!! Gets me wondering if going to a classic Xpipe and run just mufflers at the tail would cut the drone AND bring up the noise factor..? Baller and I both have the 12468 and both have drone....?
Yeah I think the sound is loudest where there's a muffler so getting rid of the mid muffler and having just the rear mufflers should work and I also heard that adding some sound deader on the floor near the mid muffler will help. Though we don't want to add extra weight so option 1 might be the best but again, I'm just speculating, there's no guarantees that there'll be a change.

·
Registered
2007 sts-v, 2011 Escalade EXT
382 Posts
I've got that magnaflow resonated x pipe too and no drone what so ever. But I've got corsa's out back too..... Absolutely love the sound it makes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts