Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 98 STS and I have been noticing that it produces what I think is an excessive amount of "white" smoke from the exhaust pipes. Even in the summer when it is warmer and you rarley see exhaust, there is smoke. I get the oil changed regularly at the dealership, but it still produces the smoke. I use Premium fuel. I do not know what is wrong. Can someone help? Oh, it also has a peculiar smeill. Not like my 96 Maxima. I need help!

Thanks!

Jetillac. :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't think it was the head gasket since it is not overheating. It just smokes a lot. There are no leaks that I can tell (meaning I do not have any "oil spots" where I park).

Are you sure it's the head gasket?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Do you have coolant leaking out of the side of the engine (front or back).....?

Put you hand near where the block and the heads meet.... There shouldnt be anything there (maybe some road goo, but nothing fresh).......

Just because the head gasket fails doesnt mean it will overheat...... Yet.......

·
Registered
586 Posts
do you do alot of short distance driving? if you do, its just condensation built up in the exhaust and its nothing to worry about. If you want it to go away, go one a few long drives every week or just get on it every once in a while.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Its been cold around here for a while.... Some white smoke is OK....... One of the byproducts of the catalytic converter is actually steam...... So when its cold youll see more...... But, it should diminish substantially when the car is warmed and moving.... At idle, youll still probably have some.......

Could you describe how much you have, when the car is at operating temp??? And also, does it smell like AF???

Good catch AKP, I didnt think of that!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
elwesso said:
Could you describe how much you have, when the car is at operating temp??? And also, does it smell like AF???
QUOTE]

I would think it's a lot. I don't notice it while in motion, like on the freeway, but when it is still, I can see it in the rearview mirror.

Concerning the "AF", I don' t know what AF is.... Oh duhhhh, AntiFreeze. I don't think so. I will double check today. But I don't think so.

Maybe I am just over-reacting. It may be a normal amount for the STS, but it seems like a lot. It's more than my Maxima, but it is definently not as much as cars on the road that are smoking on the road!

I'll keep you up to date.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Any V8 will produce more steam than a v6....... For the most part, anyway.....

Just monitor your temp closely, and as long as it stays close to normal, your probably fine.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
elwesso