Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just recently picked up a 97 eldorado, 49k miles. Having trouble starting it first time of the day. Doesn't matter if it's 20 degrees or 50 degrees. Try starting it 3 times, each grinding about 5 seconds, and then starts on the fourth try. Have a small backfire, not loud, but i can hear it. Really wants to start, just won't catch. Replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator, still the same. Starts fine the rest of the day... Any suggestions? :annoyed:

·
Registered
12 Posts
1997 STS w/130,000. I had a similar problem, installed new fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator and the starting problems exist no more. It sounds like a fuel pressure issue. You can get a fuel pressure gauge or have the test done at a Dealer. I've seen new gauges for sale on-line for around $30, the local dealer wanted $80 to check pressure. The fuel pump has a check valve that keeps pressure in the fuel rail and the pumping pressure can get weak. Depending on what happens with the pressure when the car is running and after it's shut-off, you can determine what the problem is. Injectors can leak causing loss of pressure in the fuel rail, although the pump would be my first guess. I picked up a new pump for $275, the dealer wanted $700 installed. I didn't have my pressure checked, as through a process of elimination I was fairly certain the pump was the problem. It took about 2 hours...

Bob_B said:
Hi there, just recently picked up a 97 eldorado, 49k miles. Having trouble starting it first time of the day. Doesn't matter if it's 20 degrees or 50 degrees. Try starting it 3 times, each grinding about 5 seconds, and then starts on the fourth try. Have a small backfire, not loud, but i can hear it. Really wants to start, just won't catch. Replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator, still the same. Starts fine the rest of the day... Any suggestions? :annoyed:

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you just recently got your eldo and have been using Premium fuel, I would suggest fill the tank with regular pump gas. I know there may be many here (cadillacforums) who would say never use regular, but if your willing to try, I bet you will find you wont have a problem with the extended crank anymore.
I got a 1998 deville about 4 months ago and at first I wanted to do every exactly the right way, but I was disapointed when the deville started to give me the same extened crank problem as well as the "pop" backfire thing, called a good friend at my local cad. dealership and he said that the additives in the fuel plus the weather change may be the cause. Suggested trying the regular fuel and ever since no problems. Have noticed about a 2-3 mile per gallon loss in fuel economy in town - nothing on the highway, but I think its just because I happy to be driving my deville.

- Hey just because its a cadillac doesnt mean you have to baby it, drive it because its great to be driving it, keep it regularly maintained and if it does start to act crazy.... trade it in...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I joined this forum looking for some help with this exact same cold start problem with the pop/backfire. I bought a '97 Deville with 78k about a month ago and have had this problem. The guy I bought it from told me that it had this problem and that his mechanic had already replaced the fuel pump and it didn't fix it. I took it to the local dealer and they had it 4 days and still said they didn't know what was wrong with it. I'm going to try the non-premium fuel and see if that helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran the car down to E today and filled up with non-premium fuel and am hopeful that it starts better tomorrow. I had actually thought before that this might help since lower octane fuel is more volatile and burns more quickly and might ignite better. Even if this helps though this has to only be a band-aid fix to an underlying problem. I suspected it might be the IAC but to test this I tried to start today with the throttle partially depressed which would emulate a wide open cold start IAC and it still didn't start well. I also suspected some type of leakdown of fuel pressure but surely the dealer would have caught this in the four days they had it?! I tested for this before I even took the car in by turning on the ignition without cranking for several seconds and then trying to start. If this car is like most this should have turned on the fuel pump to pressurize the system before cranking but it still did the same slow start pop/backfire deal. There has to be a fix for this. I can't find a TSB for it on Alldata but surely other people have had the same problem. Help us GM!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.... Thanks for all the great information. Although I haven't been on the site in amost 2 weeks, the last time I tried to start the car, I had the same hard start. The tank was down to just under 1/4 and it was going to be in the "teens" that night with heavy snow. So I told the wife I was off to fill up the tank. (Hadn't read any of the new threads about the the regular gas yet) Filled it with Mobil premium, 92 octane, brought it home, had 27" of snow over the next 2 days. When I dug out the passenger side, I opened the door, reached in, turned the key and much to my surprise, it started right up like it should. Have tried it 4 or 5 times this week, starts perfect. Must have been a combo of bad/old gas and the pressure regulator. Oh Yeah!! :2thumbs: Nice to have a car start the way it should, especially when it's only 12 degrees out!!!

Thanks again for all the info, pictures of the car to follow soon.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.:xsmile:

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this problem recently on my '97 ETC also at 68,000 miles. It was the fuel pressure regulator. The hard-starting was very intermittent on my car. It would start just fine sometimes and other times it took 3 or 4 cranks. Since the new regulator 2 months ago, the car practically starts before I turn the key.

The problem began one day the morning after I had just filled it up with fuel the night before. I suspected bad fuel and ran about 3 or 4 tanks of different brands and grades through it along with a bottle of Heet. I finally decided to have a dealer look at it and they diagnosed the faulty regulator in less than an hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wish I knew weissbc's dealer. If its starting before you turn the key though you might want to take it to this exorcist that I know......:) . The gas thing didn't help. I guess I'm back to the dealership and I'll tell them to check the regulator at some point before they keep it another 4 days.

C

·
0 Posts
My 96 Deville has the same problem. Our mechanic replaced a cam sensor and 2 crank sensors, ignition module, replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, and checked fuel pressure. He gave up. Does any of this involve the pressure regulator?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts