Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger side seat cushion was inop. Had the dealer replace the element under warranty. It still takes forever to get "warm" (not hot). I left work last night and it was 6 degrees. Put both heaters on. Drivers side was hot after 3 minutes. Passenger side, "barely" warm after 10 minutes. Dealer is saying it "operates as intended", BS :mad:. I told them that was unacceptable and they are waiting for a factory rep. The service manager said he "may not even need to see it". That worries me as I am not sure if he is going to advocate a fix or no fix to the rep. As you know, there are 8 heating elements in this car (4 seat cushions and 4 seat backs), only this one takes forever to get any heat, so much so that your ass will warm it before the heater does, making it useless. Something is not right, even though it was replaced.

My question is what has been your expirience with these things? Are the replacements the same as what comes off the line? Could it have been installed wrong? If the repair is denied, what should I do? I am preparing for a :want:with costumer assistance, though I doubt they will take my side. I am even thinking of buying a laser heat sensor to take readings at 3, 5, & 10 minute intervals to prove my point (though I should not have to go through that). Any insight you can give me will be of great assistance. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
02 STS
267 Posts
i had the driver side heater element replaced a month ago the seat is nice and warm in a min. the passenger side does take longer to get warm though about three min. so i dont know if that is suppose to be that way thought

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Well I was quite surprised to see my name in a topic title....
Sadly I am not sure I can be much help. The trim shop handles the bulk of our seat heater repairs. I can ask one guy some questions but the king of seat heaters is off for a month!
As far as the parts having different origins, it's possible that GM got fed up with their supplier from when the car was new and switched to someone else. They should be making them the same though.
I am told the controllers are pretty picky about the resistance of the heater, so if it was off kilter the module probalby wouldn't even let it work.
It's possible that the age of the driver's side heater makes it work faster if it's passing too much current but the module should also see that and shut it off. I apologize for not being able to give you a more accurate answer.
I'll ask the helper in the trim shop and see if he has an answer for that question but I can't promise that he will. If Leonard was here he could have answered your question already.

Do you have a flashlight and an ohm meter? Maybe I can help you check the new heater against the factory specs? If it's out of spec they should be able to do a "parts warranty" but you'd have to prove it.

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flashlight and ohm meter? Are you kidding? "Tim the tool man" has nothing on me ;) Thanks for the offer on checking it but, since it is still under warranty I am going to let the General worry about it (I hope). I am leaning away from the controler though, as the seat back portion heats like it should. That leads me to believe it has to have something to do with the seat cushion or heater element.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I'll try to remember to ask someone, but if the bottom works differently than the back I'd say something is probably not right.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
My GM replacement elements get really hot really fast. Did your replacement ever work right? If not, I'd bet they didn't replace it. It's a pain in the arse so they may have done something to get a little voltage to it rather than replace it. You need to check the resistance across the element and the thermistor for the seat back and cushion. If either element is drawing too much current the module won't send the right voltage to either one, so a problem with the cushion could affect the back heat and vise versa.

Check the resistance by unhooking the blue connector at the heated seat module. The module is mounted under the seat cushion; seat cushion comes off by removing 2 10mm nuts. The clip is the top of the connector. The bottom 4 cavities are A through D (left to right) and the top row is H through E (left to right). Pin outs are as follows:

A and B: Cushion element
C and D: Cushion thermistor
E and F: Back thermistor
G and H: Back element

Element resistance should be 10 ohms or less; thermistor should be between 280k and 300k ohms.

HTH,
Jim

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ewill3rd,
Yeah, you and I know something is not right. Now I just have to convince them.

Turbojimmy,
Thanks, I may need that info to do my own tests and show it to them. Hope I don't have to go that route but I smell a fight brewing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts