Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
Joined
·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first start out by saying I am no where near a 'professional driver' and could benefit from some driving (shifting) lessons.

Anyway was on the highway (middle lane) no traffic and a 300 pulls next to me and guns it I noticed it was a base (V6) and I wasn't really interested as I've been 'practicing' how to get more than 15MPG. The 300 pulls ahead of me about 100 yds, and I'm still doing 60 when on the other side of me is an import buzzing along, and looks over and just when his bumper is almost past me, he downshifts and guns it. I recognize the CF wing from an EVO and downshift and shortly begin to pull on him until I get about 1/4 length ahead when we both slowed down because a curve was coming up. Meanwhile Mr 300 tried to hang as we pass him and he ended up somewhere else entirely.

So after the curve the EVO and I slow down to 50 and begin again and, although very fast, I had 2 lengths by the time I was in the 'meat' of 4th. We both turned off and gave a thumbs up.

I guess I was pretty surprised that it wasn't a closer race, I was thinking (based on other posts) that I would be lucky to keep up. Maybe he was a worse driver than me...LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
That Evo was modded if you hadn't figured that out already. The Evo is a dog above 60 and the V comes into its own at 70+ so if he was anywhere near you, he was packing a ton of extra punch. BTW, I am not anti Evo as I owned one! :thumbsup:

I really would like to drive an SRT-8 and a V back to back, that would be cool!
 

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Slywun said:
I guess I was pretty surprised that it wasn't a closer race, I was thinking (based on other posts) that I would be lucky to keep up. Maybe he was a worse driver than me...LOL
The only time a stock Evo should be a challenge for you (on dry pavement) is from a stop and only racing a 1/4 mile in distance. Other than that, you should hand him his ass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Seattle CTS-V said:
The only time a stock Evo should be a challenge for you (on dry pavement) is from a stop and only racing a 1/4 mile in distance. Other than that, you should hand him his ass.
Exactly

Unless you are on wet pavement or starting from a complete stop where he can use is AWD to jump off the line it is no contest. From a high speed roll you wil smoke him.
 

·
Registered
2004 Raven/Ebony CTS-V
Joined
·
344 Posts
A good friend of mine has a pretty sweet STI and it rips pretty good on the 1/4. He ran like a 12.9 at 105, while I've been able to make it down the track in a slow 13.6, but at 106. He cuts 1.7 short times, I manage 2.2's regularly, but I'm far from consistant (I've been 2.0 before and up to 2.5's).

This said, his STI has a li'l work done. A side note: another friend of mine with a STI went 13.7 at 101 and his is stock. My Evo friends have extensive work done aside from touching the turbo and they tend to trap around 109 or so and run in the middle 12's or so.

And the reason for mentioning the STI, for those who do not know, is that a STI is a Subaru WRX, which is similar in performance and design as the Evo.
 

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
CTS-VPaco said:
A good friend of mine has a pretty sweet STI and it rips pretty good on the 1/4. He ran like a 12.9 at 105, while I've been able to make it down the track in a slow 13.6, but at 106. He cuts 1.7 short times, I manage 2.2's regularly, but I'm far from consistant (I've been 2.0 before and up to 2.5's).

This said, his STI has a li'l work done. A side note: another friend of mine with a STI went 13.7 at 101 and his is stock. My Evo friends have extensive work done aside from touching the turbo and they tend to trap around 109 or so and run in the middle 12's or so.

And the reason for mentioning the STI, for those who do not know, is that a STI is a Subaru WRX, which is similar in performance and design as the Evo.

Yep, they are both amazing machines right off the showroom floor and even better when modified. If I could get past the boy-racer looks I'd be sitting in one right now.
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
Seattle CTS-V said:
Yep, they are both amazing machines right off the showroom floor and even better when modified. If I could get past the boy-racer looks I'd be sitting in one right now.
I think the STI has gotten worse with age. I could handle the Evo now. It would have to be black, tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
CTS-VPaco said:
A good friend of mine has a pretty sweet STI and it rips pretty good on the 1/4. He ran like a 12.9 at 105, while I've been able to make it down the track in a slow 13.6, but at 106. He cuts 1.7 short times, I manage 2.2's regularly, but I'm far from consistant (I've been 2.0 before and up to 2.5's).

This said, his STI has a li'l work done. A side note: another friend of mine with a STI went 13.7 at 101 and his is stock. My Evo friends have extensive work done aside from touching the turbo and they tend to trap around 109 or so and run in the middle 12's or so.

And the reason for mentioning the STI, for those who do not know, is that a STI is a Subaru WRX, which is similar in performance and design as the Evo.
Off the line that AWD traction will get you every time unless you can get a really perfect launch. Since they are boosted there are also many tweaks you can do to get more power easily.

But nothing can change one of those butt ugly Evos or STi (now STI)s into a car as nice looking as the V
 

·
Registered
04' CTS-V, 04' Escalade EXT
Joined
·
623 Posts
One more comment about our V's. My son is in high school and his friends all love the STI/EVO's etc. But at the same time they liked the V, that was until I took four them for a ride. The look on their faces after I took them on a hwy run from 40-120 mph was priceless. :eek: There were five of us in the car, myself and two others over 200lb, they couldnt believe how the car pulled with all the weight. :highfive:
just my 2cents.

You never said where the 300 went, I thought you were going to say it went off the road when you hit the corner. Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
rgd said:
One more comment about our V's. My son is in high school and his friends all love the STI/EVO's etc. But at the same time they liked the V, that was until I took four them for a ride. The look on their faces after I took them on a hwy run from 40-120 mph was priceless. :eek: There were five of us in the car, myself and two others over 200lb, they couldnt believe how the car pulled with all the weight. :highfive:
just my 2cents.

You never said where the 300 went, I thought you were going to say it went off the road when you hit the corner. Lol
big torque carries big payloads well
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top