Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Cadillac Catera
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did you run into any problems?

I plan on replacing basically everything. New Headunit/CD player, new speakers, amps, sub.

I did go to Circuit City (my mistake, figured it was an easy enough task) and they said Metra, there supplier, doesn't make harnesses for Catera's. So are there harnesses? I DO plan on going to a local audio shop to get this part installed, but i would like to know what it needs.

I plan on doing all the rest of the install myself.

Any electrical/security problems by doing this? I did notice once the stock cd player was taken out, the car wouldn't start. :confused:

edit: oh yeah, its a '99 with Bose.

edit v.2: also, where to run the amps power wire? I couldn't find an exhisting hole in the firewall to run 1/0 gauge wire. is it safe to drill a hole carefully?

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
you will need to keep the stock amp in tact, there is no way of getting rid of it.
you will also need to re-run the wires from your head unit seperately to the amp in the back and connecting them to the output to the speaker.
it's no easy job, i'll tell you that much.

·
Registered
'99 Cadillac Catera
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well actually, i plan on running an aftermarker HU, an amp for front speaker and sub. i'm not going to be using ANY of the stock Bose components. I'm replacing the front speaker and leaving the rest off, for now. I know there's going to be alot of wiring. I'm mainly concerned with any problems arising from installing an aftermarket HU. And finding how to get a 1/0 gauge power wire through the firewall.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Catera
48 Posts
They do make a HU harness, but when you wire it up you need to wire yellow and red to something else as it won't work. As for the firewall there is an easier way to do it, look under your driver side and you'll notice a boot, pull off mod and presto!!! For the amp in back i left mine in for onstar sake and wired the speakers off the harness. A very nice add is Sirius Radio. Other than that i wired 4 amps a cap and i am waiting for that PAC steering control. Good LucK!!!!!! It took a long ass time. To remove the "BLoWSe" amp its easier to take the pillar covers off when trying to remove the back deck lid.

·
Registered
Cadillac Catera Soon CTS
118 Posts
iv done aftermarket cd player instal and subs ... easi if you know anything about electricity/audio

yes there is a aftermarket radio harness

and the easiest way to get the cable thought the fire wall would be look under the drivers side part of the dashboard where the brake pedal meets the firewall to the left side you will see a hole where the clutch is suppsut be push the little boot out and push the cable thought that hole;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts