Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to quickly remind everyone we have yet to see real, official comments on the 2024 lyriq out of GM. We have a great group here that is awesome at uncovering details the minute they hit the internet, but that has now led to a ton of angst /concern /anger / confusion.

I do believe that GM is keenly aware of the market, what happened to Rivian when they tried to significantly raise prices on current orderholders, etc. and in speaking with someone at GM, I was also told pricing would be grandfathered in (but this could be wrong, could change etc)

I may look back and eat these words, but figured given all the anger and frustration I’ve seen over the last two days to just remind everyone that we are all jumping to conclusions before we’ve heard anything at all from the company (and that you can be angry about for sure, their comms have been severely lacking)

anyway, feel like we all just need to take a deep breath and relax for a minute.

or not, if that’s your thing!

· Registered
2016 ELR
1,840 Posts
Just want to quickly remind everyone we have yet to see real, official comments on the 2024 lyriq out of GM. We have a great group here that is awesome at uncovering details the minute they hit the internet, but that has now led to a ton of angst /concern /anger / confusion.
I would say the presence of this info hasn't created confusion or angst - just shows what 2024 people will expect to pay and get. Most expected 2024 pricing to more for the same, and it is - but with more option choices.

What has caused the issues is the complete lack of communication by Cadillac for the 2023 May order holders throughout the process. That's where the fault lies. Agree all we can do is still wait.

I remain hopeful. As a May order holder, as of early last week I was feeling bummed like the rest of us with the 'not accepted by GM' chatbot status. Then on Thursday afternoon I was somehow awarded one of the 2023's being allocated (allegedly about 500). So then things changed into, oh boy, what if the 2024's are way better in several regards, and pricing close - did I make the wrong decision to accept a 2023? Then the 2024 features came out on Saturday, and there wasn't anything huge. The Sport package looks nice, but stupid things like the 22" wheel requirement if you wanted similar to 2023 or Debut in other options. And then the pricing came out on Monday, which showed the 2023's were still a good deal. And the rollercoaster doesn't stop there going forward, as will my TPW push out, how long to get the car after, and will the dealer pull a last minute markup (which I'd walk).

So, I would just echo to have some faith. To me what makes the most sense is to build out everybody's 2023 - at the price of the pre-order. Why it doesn't seem they are doing that based on the info shared on the upcomming 2024 switchover and allocations next week is weird, but they must have a reason. We all patiently await more details. Stay strong!

· Registered
54 Posts
This is pure speculation but now that we have the 2024 order guides my hunch is that GM seems to be building up to some sort of private rebate and then letting us switch configurations around. In essence, there is a slim possibility we will have the best of both worlds- a rebate to make us roughly equivalent with MY23 pricing but the ability to switch up / down and order stuff we weren't able to order for MY23. I, for one, am contemplating switching to the red or the green from the now discontinued Satin Steel.

I'm optimistic as well, especially given the rapidly softening market conditions.

· Registered
50 Posts

I do believe that GM is keenly aware of the market, what happened to Rivian when they tried to significantly raise prices on current orderholders, etc. and in speaking with someone at GM, I was also told pricing would be grandfathered in (but this could be wrong, could change etc)

I may look back and eat these words, but figured given all the anger and frustration I’ve seen over the last two days to just remind everyone that we are all jumping to conclusions before we’ve heard anything at all from the company (and that you can be angry about for sure, their comms have been severely lacking)

anyway, feel like we all just need to take a deep breath and relax for a minute.

I totally agree, we are just jumping to conclusions without any official word on anything. I will patiently wait for my 24 Lyriq I have total faith in GM/Cadillac will work it out and we all will be happy with the Lyriq.. don’t give up… have a great day everyone and yes the Lyriq is well worth the wait!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

· Premium Member
CTS, SRX, May 18 RWD White LYRIQ on Order
1,624 Posts

Well said

· Registered
2022 F150Screw PB 4X4, MachE reservation, E Silverado reservation
240 Posts
I would say the presence of this info hasn't created confusion or angst - just shows what 2024 people will expect to pay and get. Most expected 2024 pricing to more for the same, and it is - but with more option choices.

What has caused the issues is the complete lack of communication by Cadillac for the 2023 May order holders throughout the process. That's where the fault lies. Agree all we can do is still wait.

I remain hopeful. As a May order holder, as of early last week I was feeling bummed like the rest of us with the 'not accepted by GM' chatbot status. Then on Thursday afternoon I was somehow awarded one of the 2023's being allocated (allegedly about 500). So then things changed into, oh boy, what if the 2024's are way better in several regards, and pricing close - did I make the wrong decision to accept a 2023? Then the 2024 features came out on Saturday, and there wasn't anything huge. The Sport package looks nice, but stupid things like the 22" wheel requirement if you wanted similar to 2023 or Debut in other options. And then the pricing came out on Monday, which showed the 2023's were still a good deal. And the rollercoaster doesn't stop there going forward, as will my TPW push out, how long to get the car after, and will the dealer pull last minute markup (which I'd walk).

So, I would just echo to have some faith. To me what makes the most sense is to build out everybody's 2023 - at the price of the pre-order. Why it doesn't seem they are doing that based on the info shared on the upcomming 2024 switchover and allocations next week is weird, but they must have a reason. We all patiently await more details. Stay strong!
Great post!

It is somewhat ironic considering the ambivalence of Tesla on these forums, but I think Tesla's substantial recent discount could end up influencing GM's decision on what to do with May orders. The lack of Carplay and my wife's somewhat (and confusing) obsessive loathing of Musk means we won't consider Tesla, but I can see many deposit holders picking one up if there isn't some sort of price protection for 2023 initial orders who will be forced to take 2024's.

· Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, but what exactly has GM done to merit any faith, let alone patience? Communications have been a joke. The ordering process has been completely inscrutable - even to a lot of dealers (certainly to mine). And nothing from GM’s history with other similar situations - e.g., the C8 - would suggest that they’re going to take care of early movers. Rivian isn’t the cautionary tale folks many seem to think it is - RIVN is a start-up, and losing hundreds or thousands of reservation holders could have led to a death spiral for the entire enterprise. GM will be fine no matter what they do with Lyriq reservation holders.

GM has known for a while now that ‘24 Lyriq options and pricing was going to be announced on Monday. They had to know that current reservation holders were going to immediately be left in limbo unless they concurrently announced what happens to us. GM deliberately chose NOT to address current reservation holders concurrently with its 2024 Lyriq announcements. That is either (A) another communications goof, or (B) they literally want to gauge how pissed off people are getting to see what “the market” will force them to do.

Seriously - what’s the generous interpretation of the current situation? ”Oh, well, GM is just incompetent, not evil….”

None of this is complicated.

People are frustrated. They should be. Any goodwill GM had a year ago they’ve squandered.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, but what exactly has GM done to merit any faith, let alone patience? Communications have been a joke. The ordering process has been completely inscrutable - even to a lot of dealers (certainly to mine). And nothing from GM’s history with other similar situations - e.g., the C8 - would suggest that they’re going to take care of early movers. Rivian isn’t the cautionary tale folks many seem to think it is - RIVN is a start-up, and losing hundreds or thousands of reservation holders could have led to a death spiral for the entire enterprise. GM will be fine no matter what they do with Lyriq reservation holders.

GM has known for a while now that ‘24 Lyriq options and pricing was going to be announced on Monday. They had to know that current reservation holders were going to immediately be left in limbo unless they concurrently announced what happens to us. GM deliberately chose NOT to address current reservation holders concurrently with its 2024 Lyriq announcements. That is either (A) another communications goof, or (B) they literally want to gauge how pissed off people are getting to see what “the market” will force them to do.

Seriously - what’s the generous interpretation of the current situation? ”Oh, well, GM is just incompetent, not evil….”

None of this is complicated.

People are frustrated. They should be. Any goodwill GM had a year ago they’ve squandered.
something incredibly hilarious to me about writing five paragraphs screaming into the void in response to a thread titled “take a breather”. Hope it was cathartic for you though.

Stay mad and keep pounding the keyboard I guess if that’s what makes you feel better, I’ll be here waiting to see what happens before losing my mind.

if not finding out your potential discount on a $70,000 car is the worst thing that happens to you today, seems like you had a pretty good day.

· Registered
8 Posts
It was cathartic, yes. But not sure I’m screaming into the void. Folks at GM should know that people are pissed off. It is inconceivable to me that they don’t have folks who follow social media, Reddit and forums like this. A large number of customers being pissed off and expressing that anger publicly is potentially useful - it’s what got RIVN to reverse course on their price hike screw job.

All that anger, angst, etc that you’re seeing on these threads? GM caused it. It was avoidable. And there’s not a damn thing wrong with folks like me being pissed. It might even be constructive to express that anger here and elsewhere.

You do you. I don’t need to be told I’m over-reacting, because I’m not.

· Registered
2020 XT4 and 2020 C8 Corvette
1,623 Posts
I'm expecting the newly announced pricing will be forced on pretty much everyone that doesn't already have a delivery date set. Would love to be proven wrong.
New pricing has nothing to do with delivery date. This is MY2024 pricing. There are still 2023's being built/to be built that will have the 2023 pricing, not the 2024 pricing. Those that have their orders switched to 2024 orders - you're probably right but I hope for them you are wrong.

· Registered
2017 XT5,2013 CTS,2010 DTS,2007 SRX,1989 Allante,1984 Dev
424 Posts
Negative!

GM new well in advanced about what was necessary to get the Lyriq tax rebate qualified. GM totally dropped the ball on researching policies, regulations and statutes. You can't submit material that doesn't meet regulations and then pray and hope that the finger goes in the other direction.

Lyriq production and deliveries are months behind. We haven't seen a 2023 non-Debut more or less even one US evaluation video on the AWD.

Cut no slack for the slackers.

· Registered
2016 ELR
1,840 Posts
Negative!

GM new well in advanced about what was necessary to get the Lyriq tax rebate qualified. GM totally dropped the ball on researching policies, regulations and statutes. You can't submit material that doesn't meet regulations and then pray and hope that the finger goes in the other direction.

Lyriq production and deliveries are months behind. We haven't seen a 2023 non-Debut more or less even one US evaluation video on the AWD.

You are kidding, right? The odd IRS SUV classification has surprised all the auto-makers. There was no way to research this beforehand - IRS doing something different than the already established EPA classifications. It's out for feedback and may change, so we'll see what happens. Other requirements are moot if the vehicle type can be sorted with positive outcome.

But honestly, the Lyriq isn't an SUV, it is a sportback / stationwagon in its dimensions. Despite what we may personally want the IRS to call it.

· Registered
909 Posts
Negative!

There wasn't a tax credit when the car was under development. There was a maybe one that matched in build back better, but the car was basically done by that point too. The IRS basically dumped this on everyone after proceeding. Cars aren't engineered to be in compliance with some stupid taxation definition generally. Why the EPA and the IRS aren't even in alignment is a bigger problem. The IRS is who you should be upset with in this situation.

· Premium Member
CTS, SRX, May 18 RWD White LYRIQ on Order
1,624 Posts
There wasn't a tax credit when the car was under development. There was a maybe one that matched in build back better, but the car was basically done by that point too. The IRS basically dumped this on everyone after proceeding. Cars aren't engineered to be in compliance with some stupid taxation definition generally. Why the EPA and the IRS aren't even in alignment is a bigger problem. The IRS is who you should be upset with in this situation.
Mixed emotions on this one. On one hand there was no tax credit when I ordered, but pricing was much better then the 2024s. On the other hand, why does different parts of the federal government have different definitions of what is an SUV? As someone suggested earlier, if the intent is to encourage EV purchases, why not change the law to 80K period? Change it after my 2024 order goes in and before I take delivery please, so Cadillac can’t grab it with price increase 😉

· Registered
465 Posts
GM has been lobbying HARD on the tax credit for over five years. IRS has been vocal about using long established regulatory classifications for an SUV. The classification game has been played for decades now. The Lexus UX immediately comes to mind but so does my old 4Runner (wagon and not SUV).
Product Azure Font Screenshot Technology
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille

· Registered
909 Posts
Mixed emotions on this one. On one hand there was no tax credit when I ordered, but pricing was much better then the 2024s. On the other hand, why does different parts of the federal government have different definitions of what is an SUV? As someone suggested earlier, if the intent is to encourage EV purchases, why not change the law to 80K period? Change it after my 2024 order goes in and before I take delivery please, so Cadillac can’t grab it with price increase 😉
I totally understand, there's a lot of moving parts right now. Different parts of the gvt really need to get aligned if they are going to offer tax credits. Tax credits feel like a bait and switch for the moment, to no fault of any OEM. Gvt just needs to do better.

· Registered
909 Posts
GM has been lobbying HARD on the tax credit for over five years. IRS has been vocal about using long established regulatory classifications for an SUV. The classification game has been played for decades now. The Lexus UX immediately comes to mind but so does my old 4Runner (wagon and not SUV).
View attachment 631039 View attachment 631040
The old tax credit isn't the same as the build back better tax credit isn't the same as the tax credit that made it to the light of day.
Each has had it's own independent conditions and requirements made up as they went along. Lobbying for credits and promoting consumer adoption isn't the same thing as understanding what's going to be officially written.

That bumper was to be CAFE compliant for the nx. CAFE isn't tax credits. That's not even remotely usable in this sort of discussion. IRS != CAFE

1 - 20 of 34 Posts