Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a friends new Lincoln Navigator last night when he mentioned that he had it "lightly armored". I was thinking about WHY he wanted it armored since he wasn't a CEO or anything, just an average banker. Has anybody else done this to their car/truck, his Navigator looks exactly the same from the outside, but when you open the doors you see a thick sheet of glass and metal.

He said that it costed him around $35,000 more than the base price of the vehicle, but it can handle anything except Armor-Peircing bullets, and one other high powered weapon which I can't remember the name of. I guess it makes him feel more secure, but I wonder if it was worth the cost.

Does anyone else know somebody that has armoring on their vehicle?

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
i used to have an uparomor hummer to dgo to work every day .....they took it away when the army needed it , i m like ok yall need it more and had my silverado crew as a shoip ytruck .....but i missed the hummer ...nopwadays the only armor i got is from armor alll

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
No armored car for me. I am learning how to drive like one of those drivers who is trained to get away from attackers though.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
davesdeville said:
No armored car for me. I am learning how to drive like one of those drivers who is trained to get away from attackers though.
now that is a much more practical approach!!

If I was going to have an armored car with style, I'd go for the armored Deville. :cool2:

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Talk about paranoia. Has he given thought to the idea that if anyone really wanted to whack him, they'd do it when he was not in the car?

I'd save the $35K and buy some Valium or something.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I am a trained limo driver, thanks to my uncle i worked for him when i was a student, i was trained by Mercedes Benz, and my uncle, i have drivent hese vehicles, and my uncle has an armoured Rolls Royce in his fleet, they are useful for some people who just want extra peice of mind. At the previous architectural firm i worked at they handled large sums of money, like, millions UK. They used to use a highly armoured Range Rover to carry it and the founding partner in.......

Dave learning to drive like that is something i would recommend to as many people as it is available to because it helps in your everyday driving too, you learn to be even more aware of vehicles and people around you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Have to agree with EcSTSatic - Go for the Valium instead of the Armor. Another good point made is that if you're gonna get killed you'll probably get shot outside of your car...

I was thinking for a second - hey maybe this guy lives in New York City and is afraid of getting carjacked. Then it would be kind of fun to have someone point a gun at your driver's side window and say "get out of the car" and just smile at him. But if this guy lives in Scottsdale Arizona... Man that's like getting your car armor plated and living in Omaha Nebraska. Ok maybe not quite but close.

Sounds like Homeland Security paranoia. Does this guy talk about Al Qaeda a lot and have a "safe room" in his house to filter out all the biological weapons?

Or maybe this guy isn't who he says he is... Banker/Accountant for the mob?!

Nope - more likely has more money than he knows what to do with and is completely paranoid...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He doesn't have a panic room to my knowledge. He has a wife, but I think it was mainly to get the peace of mind that if he ever has a gun pulled on him, he can just laugh. I thought it was a pretty neat idea, but I would never spend $35K just to have peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
SpeedyArizona said:
He doesn't have a panic room to my knowledge. He has a wife, but I think it was mainly to get the peace of mind that if he ever has a gun pulled on him, he can just laugh. I thought it was a pretty neat idea, but I would never spend $35K just to have peace of mind.
That Range Rover i mentioned earlier......

my old boss spent (an apparnt) £180k to keep his money safe, it had the V8, floor grenade protection, uparted suspension, run flats, fuel cut off overide so it could continue to drive after an accident.

Pretty nice piece of kit, oh yeah, the most rearward windows (3rd rear side, and rear windscreen) were flase, black glass, behind which was inch thick steel.

The Rolls my uncle has can effectively isolate the rear passengers from the the outside world, steel privacy screen, bullet proof glass, thicker roof, thicker floor, also run flats etc etc, not quite as highly specced as the Range Rover mentioned there, but it does the job, and gets regular use froma contracted customer.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Floor grenade protection? Wow, now that's something extra ordinary! I think with different issues effecting our world in this day and age (i.e. terrorist, and can't forget North Korea), that people are spending the money to feel safe(r).

P.S. My BMW has runflats, but I hope someone doesn't try and test them!

·
Registered
EXT 2002, EXT 2006,
73 Posts
My older brother have a bmw 328 armored, and my little brother have a volvo s40 armored too, my dads alos have a grand chreokke armored level 4, Where I live theres a lot of kindappings :(

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
SpeedyArizona said:
Floor grenade protection? Wow, now that's something extra ordinary! I think with different issues effecting our world in this day and age (i.e. terrorist, and can't forget North Korea), that people are spending the money to feel safe(r).

P.S. My BMW has runflats, but I hope someone doesn't try and test them!
Yeah my BMW does too, but this was before they were widely available. Yeah it had floor grenade protection, the Range Rover in question was armoured to a similar spec to a presidential sedan. Only two drivers were employed for it, and they were on call 24/7. THe amount of money that went behind the rear seats was incredible, and the people who were passengers in it.

Also, the windows were smaller than a standard Range's they were like large slits, there was about a four inch border or riveted steel all the way around them.

A Very expensive car i should imagine..

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Not me, but a friend of my Dad's bought a second hand Deville from the Chinese Embassy, that was armour plated. That thing was a pig! It was an older SDV, prolly around 1978 viintage: thich, heavy doors, thick, heavier glass in those doors, big steel plate in front of the rad, etc.

It got 2 gallons to the mile, if I recall correctly,,,,,,,,,,,,

On a more recent note, I saw a 2003 SDV in one of our Daler lots that was armour plated, among other things - it gave itself away by being just a shade WIDER than a standard SDV, what with the thicker glass. It also has flag posts on each fender, a PURPLE 3rd braking light, a GREEN strap-on coplight an extra large floor console with all manner of toggle switches that were labelled in some crytic lingo I couldn't decifer,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
I live near N Scottsdale. I guess your friend is one of the A*****E drivers that's worried about someone having road rage after he cuts them off. Guess I'll have to upgrade my armament!

Darn, I shoulda bought some of those armor piercing bullets when you could still get em!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts